U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 06:08 AM

2,257 posts, read 6,968,983 times

Advertisements

Most of the college towns in NH and Maine are really small. Hanover, NH might be a good choice for all of your criteria except population. Keene, NH and Orono, ME could be worth at least researching, although I think they score lower on the "coolness" factor than a lot of the previous recommendations.

Another option is Durham, NH, which - although fairly small - is close to Portsmouth, which is a small city that scores very high on the cool scale. Portsmouth is right on the ocean, but it's about an hour and a half from the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 09:51 AM

345 posts, read 844,827 times
If you are okay with a warm climate, I might suggest Gainesville.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:55 AM

21,182 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
If you are okay with a warm climate, I might suggest Gainesville.
Except for the local foods option. Florida largely has not figured out the "Buy Local" concept yet.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:43 AM

56,511 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Here's another area of NY that fits much of your criteria: Welcome | SUNY Fredonia

Fredonia Chamber of Commerce - Welcome

Fredonia, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An adjacent city: Dunkirk Today - The Official Website of the City of Dunkirk

Dunkirk, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (look at the demographics)

Dunkirk City Schools

It is close to Buffalo, Erie PA, Canada and these places: Ellicottville, NY Chamber of Commerce | Resource for activities surrounding skiing, snowboarding, golfing, biking, and more at Holiday Valley and HoliMont, Western New York State Ski Resorts

Enchanted Mountains of Western New York AKA Cattaraugus County ... Naturally yours

Old 01-17-2012, 12:05 PM

345 posts, read 844,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Except for the local foods option. Florida largely has not figured out the "Buy Local" concept yet.
On a statewide level, you might be right. But Gainesville actually has a good number of nice, independent restaraunts.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:41 AM

33 posts, read 67,731 times
As always, thanks for the new replies

About Knoxville, I'm glad you feel safe.. I just don't think that I would.. probably it's size has a lot to do with it though (according to Sperling, Athens, OH ranks a 3 in violent and 4 in property crime, while Knoxville rates an 8 and 9).. considering I'm coming from Athens and that's what I'm used to, I don't think I'd feel comfortable there (maybe by myself I might, but not raising a family?). Anyways, thanks for the info!

To whoever said that if I'm ok with cold that would give me a lot for choices.. I definitely agree. And I'd say cold and possibly diversity are the 2 least important to me (I figure every place has some diversity, you just have to find it).. especially if there's cool stuff to do in that cold (like snowboarding or snowshoeing).. so I'd say if you have a good recommendation for me but it's cold weather just tell me anyway!

I'll check into the NH and ME recommendations.. although if they aren't as "cool" I might find that I'm not so interested...

I haven't decided yet how I feel about hot to be honest.. I guess it depends on how hot.. but if I was interested, Gainesville would be on my list. I was there for a few days last year and really liked it.. and I went to the local farmer's market so I know there's at least some local food... as a plus, in FL you can legally sell raw milk as long as it's labeled for animals only (in Hawaii raw milk sales in any form are illegal).. but sales are legal in all the northwestern states so that wouldn't be problem there (I think it's illegal in MT and WV of the places I've been looking at)

I'll check into the newest NY ideas

Thanks again guys.. keep those recommendations coming!!!

Also, anyone know of some good places in Canada?? I probably wouldn't actually end up there (visa hassles and cold) but who knows. I visited the town of Guelph and loved what I saw of it.. although I think it's too far from the mountains...

Old 01-18-2012, 06:03 AM

5,682 posts, read 8,752,084 times
That boggles my mind on those crime ratings. Does that site put us up among Newark NJ etc? Maybe we just report crime more in Knoxville because we expect something to be done about it. But I understand it could seem intimidating to someone from a small town.

Anyway - this is the comment I was responding to:

Quote:
I'm really hoping for mountains/trees/water plus a university and cool downtown with at the very least a good coffee shop and good farmer's market
that's all.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:30 AM

If you like being close to Canada, then Plattsburgh may be your best overall choice. It is minutes from Canada and you could go to the Laurentian Mountains in Quebec: THE LAURENTIANS – Tourism in the Laurentians Region, outdoor activities, The Laurentians Region.

Laurentian Mountains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You also could check out another culture with the French Canadian influence right there. Just get an enhanced license if you go with P'burgh: NYS DMV - Enhanced DMV Photo Documents for U.S. Citizens Who are Residents of NYS

Then, there is another area with 2 college towns close to each other that are near the Adirondacks and Canada, but diversity is pretty much limited to the 4 colleges(give or take): Potsdam, NY 13676
Welcome to SUNY Potsdam - SUNY Potsdam
Potsdam, NY
Town of Potsdam, NY
Potsdam Chamber of Commerce :: Home
Clarkson University

Town and Village of Canton
Canton, NY 13617
SUNY Canton
Canton, NY Chamber of Commerce - Welcome!
St. Lawrence University

Old 01-18-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
With Ithaca, you have 2 private 4 year schools and a community college, but SUNY-Cortland is about 20 minutes down the road: SUNY Cortland: Seize the Moment, Feel the Momentum
To add to this: Greek Peak - Ski Resort, Indoor Waterpark, Spa, Adventure Center

SONG MOUNTAIN RESORT

Labrador Mountain

Toggenburg Mountain Winter Sports Center

City of Cortland Official Web Site

Cortland, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Welcome To Downtown Cortland NY - Home

Near Ithaca and between Syracuse and Binghamton.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:48 PM

Perhaps this Canadian community will work: Queen's University

City of Kingston, Ontario, Canada - Official Web Site - Home Page

Kingston, Ontario - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kingston Canada's Official Tourism Website - Home

Kingston, Canada

A lot of people from this area come to Upstate NY to shop and vice versa for Upstate NYers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or