U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 05:56 PM

3,329 posts, read 8,780,741 times

Advertisements

Plattsburgh doesn't have the "cool" factor that Burlington has though.
I would suggest Saratoga Springs NY as well.
Portland, ME and Portsmouth NH are high on the "cool" factor as well.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:48 PM

33 posts, read 67,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
That boggles my mind on those crime ratings. Does that site put us up among Newark NJ etc?
So this comment got me doing some checking to see how dangerous it really is... When I compared the crime rates to Newark, Knoxville got 8 and 9 (1st number is violent, 2nd is property) while Newark got a 7 and 5.. so Newark is supposedly safer. Then I just started researching about dangerous places and some places that I didn't feel unsafe in (like Baton Rouge and Anchorage) made some of the lists.. and Knoxville made some lists and didn't make others. So no worries, I don't think Knoxville is really all that dangerous compared to other cities of that size. So for me I think what it comes down to is size... anything too much bigger than Athens will probably be too dangerous for me to feel comfortable. (I'm glad I did this research.. it helps me a lot!)

Working on checking into those other recommendations... hard because wikipedia is doing the black out. I found that if I really care, I can go to the wikipedia page and try to highlight and copy the information before it blacks out :-) but that's a lot of hassle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 07:15 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,968,192 times
You can also press and hold the ESC button on your keyboard while the wikipedia page is loading, and the blackout notice won't appear.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:03 PM

56,497 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Plattsburgh doesn't have the "cool" factor that Burlington has though.
I would suggest Saratoga Springs NY as well.
Portland, ME and Portsmouth NH are high on the "cool" factor as well.
What helps Plattsburgh is that it has a state college, a community college, it is more affordable than Burlington and you can still enjoy virtually the same things, as the cities are only a ferry ride away.

Saratoga Springs could work, as it has Skidmore College, but COL is above average(if that is even an issue). It does have a very good nightlife scene though.

Another place could be New Paltz NY: Community of New Paltz, NY
Welcome to the State University of New York at New Paltz!
Welcome to New Paltz, NY - The Heart of Ulster County
New Paltz Chamber of Commerce 2012
New Paltz Home Page
Welcome to the Town of New Paltz

Actually, the Cortland idea may work pretty well in terms of its proximity to 4 ski areas and 3 cities(Ithaca, Syracuse and Binghamton). All are within 40 minutes or so. One of the ski areas actually has an indoor water park as well(Greek Peak).

Old 01-18-2012, 08:30 PM

This is awesome... you guys are mentioning so many places that I had never heard of... I'll have a lot to check out when I go on a roadtrip through the northeast (it seems like a whole lot in NY).

CKH-Ya Plattsburgh sounds like a really good option.. I'll have to check it out and see if the reality is what I'm imagining/want. The Ithaca area is definitely one I'll have to check into as well. COL is an issue, but it's relative to wages in whatever industry I get into... so if I end up finding a job in say Burlington or Saratoga Springs (or for that matter, Missoula or Eugene) that pays enough to make up for the difference, then I'd definitely go for it. And Kingston ON looks great from what I've seen.. if only they had the program that I want, will give me full scholarships, and would help me a get a job afterwards.

Verseau-Thanks for the tip. it is easier that way :-)

Old 03-23-2012, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,024 times
Moderator cut: links/recommendations of competing sites not allowed

Like you, I have an eye on NM for eventual relocation (Silver City/TorC/Las Vegas/etc). But, if diversity is what you are after with a smaller town feel, try the Inland Empire of CA. A wonderful mix of cultures and the populataion is strongly Asian (Vietnamese/Chinese/Japanese/etc) and Hispanic. Specifically the Corona/Riverside and/or Temecula areas are overlooked jems. I lived there for almost 14 years and diversity is one of the great blessings of CA. And you have a very decent educational option with UCR. Plus, you can lock into a nice neighborhood and more small town vibe (avoid freeways though) if you look in the right areas. Just about everything you'll need is within a half hour drive. COL is higher than NM for real estate, but no better time than now to consider it in CA...mega cheap by CA standards. Other living necessities are actually cheaper even than here in small town Ohio where I am now (helping take care of an elderly parent).

Last edited by Count David; 03-23-2012 at 10:06 AM..

Old 03-23-2012, 11:38 PM

Tony David-I have checked out fys many times and I love the site.. only problem is that they only list the cities that they like... don't include all of the choices everywhere. Ya I can definitely see what you mean about California and diversity and such.... but I pretty much discounted it because of COL.. in fact, unless I marry into money, I'm starting to discount the whole western US.. but we'll see if that changes. What do you mean about living necessities being cheaper? That relating to places like Costco and other big name stores that sell stuff for cheaper.. or what?? Anyways, thanks, I'll check into the towns you suggested

Old 03-24-2012, 06:43 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,824,145 times
If not mentioned already, check Eugene, Oregon. More than 200K metro, but still very small town feeling, and affordable by Oregon standards.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:12 AM

pw-Ya Eugene is on the list. I now have 2 lists.. places I would probably like, and places that I might like that actually offer the graduate program that I'm looking at. University of Oregon doesn't have my program so it's on the back up list (along with Ithaca NY, Asheville NC, Corvallis OR, Durango CO, State College PA (they have the program, I just don't think I could get into to), Arcata CA, Inland Empire area just mentioned...)

Old 04-10-2012, 07:05 AM

56,497 posts, read 80,803,243 times
You may like New Paltz NY, which has a SUNY campus with counseling programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or