U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 06:25 PM

162 posts, read 321,506 times

Advertisements

Just a curiosity thread. Getting to know different perspectives.

Guess I should have made it a poll, but comments should be interesting at the very least

If, for any number of reasons, you are living where you are only due to one reason, be it; weather, job, low crime, family etc. which reason is it and why?

We moved where we did in order to live on the lake, have some land (7 acres) have a boat, yada yada...then the drought hit. We sold our property (fortunately, we had not begun building) and now are waiting to move where the water does not dry up LOL (The ocean).

We also chose this place because housing was *cheap* in comparison to where we had been living so finances were only second in line.

Last edited by SoManyPlaces; 01-02-2012 at 07:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 07:36 PM

13,238 posts, read 24,446,503 times
Jobs, climate, big-city, pro sports.

In hindsight, I probably should have picked somewhere else.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:39 PM

29,947 posts, read 27,424,696 times
Mainly job.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:42 PM

3,798 posts, read 8,175,204 times
I live in a very unique place. David Aguilar can probably attest. I am from the fringe suburbs of Minneapolis-St. Paul. It's a big metro - 3.5 million.... I get the big city attractions - Four Major Sports Teams, Big City life.. but the fringy-suburbs is a nice place to grow up -- A place surrounded by cornfields, 25 minute drive from DT Mpls great schools, easy to find a job and a low-COL....

The "Big City" in my State - Twin Cities - is the only Big City in my state. Everything revolves around the Twin Cities. It's the center for the largest University in the State -U of M, state Capital- St. Paul, Largest Cities, etc....

The only places where I could imagine it's similar is Denver, CO or Seattle, WA. Milwaukee, WI maybe... Detroit, MI maybe... Phoenix, AZ maybe... But not like MN.

But for me, it's just what I know. I have no reason NOT to like where I'm from, except maybe the winters. But that's not even bad. It's affordable here... I have my family, friends.. It's clean... Educated.... Articulate... Fun... No reason to move. I almost moved to San Diego once for the weather and West Coast living, but knew there would be a void.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:47 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,316,376 times
Convenience. More than 100 miles from a larger metropolis, and about 70,000 population. Which means the city has everything it needs right in town, but town is small enough that you can get there easily (shopping, services, medical, college, etc.) . Best of both worlds. Also, climate (never winter), clean air and environment. Traffic is relaxed, easy to walk, people are honest and friendly.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:32 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,195,862 times
Primarily climate. But there are lots of little reasons which, when added together, are just as important.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:17 AM

5,706 posts, read 8,771,469 times
Inertia mainly. I grew up 20 miles away. Part of my college career was spent elsewhere but I had a network of friends to return to after graduation.

Knoxville has good demographics for my business. I like the climate and love the mountains.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:01 AM

17,287 posts, read 19,572,199 times
Jobs/strong economy

East coast location

Large metropolitan area

Urban amenities

Lots of activities

Dynamic region

Work from home

Personal comfort zone

... are the main reasons I live in the D.C. area.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:46 AM

6,865 posts, read 7,813,769 times
Urbanity. To me, this means walkable access to everything I need and enjoy - restaurants, nightlife, museums, theatre & culture, cinema, parks, groceries, drug stores, cleaners, department stores, doctor and dentist offices, etc. Secondary is climate - the cycle of 4 distinct seasons is pretty important to me. Lastly is location - access to other cities, mountains, beaches along with quaint countryside and small towns within a two hour drive for spontaneous get-aways.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:58 PM

104 posts, read 235,945 times
My job is the only reason I live here, and when I find another one, hasta la vista baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or