Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 12:13 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Not the ones that are already on the radar. What city that has been passed over by the hipsters and trends in past decades will have their coming out party in the 2010's? You know, the same way Seattle had their coming out party in the 90's or Austin getting popular on the national radar in the 2000's. Where will the hipsters be showing up and the in turn getting more media attention and having the city scenes consistently popping up on article slideshows and such.

My guess is Pittsburgh. It's been shedding its rustbelt image for 30+ years and people do realize by now that it’s a cool city. Many who haven't been say they would like to pay a visit where in the past, not so much. It's a big college town, has plenty of character and culture, and aesthetically a very nice looking city.

I know I'm going to get shunned for saying this, but it looks as though MTV has chosen Pittsburgh to film season 27 of the Real World. Yes I know the show is drunks and d'bags, probably doesn't have the ratings and substance that it once or perhaps never had. However it's on their radar, so perhaps on more young peoples radar as well, and it's affordable. I think Pittsburgh is well positioned for a big rise.
Dallas is the next trendy city.

The Kardashians & Glen Beck have already moved here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 12:29 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,846 times
I think Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and Baltimore will all be among the "trendier" places to live over the next few years. I'm originally from Virginia, and can say that Richmond is already a hipster city. I can see Norfolk becoming trendier once Richmond becomes an old hat. It's already got a few hipster/yuppie neighborhoods sprouting up.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:49 AM

742 posts, read 678,519 times
Someplace out of the way but not too out of the way. Maybe an Eastern city near Canada...

Old 01-10-2012, 03:55 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Cleveland, Milwaukee, Nashville and Buffalo

Old 01-10-2012, 05:48 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Pardon me I just vomited a little. That statement (and the Kardashians) have as much depth as a soapdish. The Kardashinas are about as compeling as waiting for the bus. Seriously I find the Drugstore Cowboys in Dallas even more compeling than them. If these are your icons for the definition of trendy then you live in a very insular and shallow world.

(btw: I know Dallas is better than that)

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 01-10-2012 at 06:01 AM..

Old 01-10-2012, 06:49 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Pardon me I just vomited a little. That statement (and the Kardashians) have as much depth as a soapdish. The Kardashinas are about as compeling as waiting for the bus. Seriously I find the Drugstore Cowboys in Dallas even more compeling than them. If these are your icons for the definition of trendy then you live in a very insular and shallow world.

You give them too much credit!
And Glen Beck? Seriously?

Old 01-10-2012, 07:16 AM

27,213 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
You give them too much credit!
And Glen Beck? Seriously?
OMG, I was howling....thanks for the laugh. I'd love to see any kind of reference relating either to fashionista/trendsetter. A more likely explanation is that they're there getting ready to film a new season of the Surreal Life

Old 01-10-2012, 07:21 AM

27,213 posts, read 43,910,956 times
I agree with a couple of others that Nashville is a possibility. It's seeing an influx of newcomers from both coasts and has the media exposure thanks to the music industry in terms of portraying the city's image. The music and entertainment industry sets trends typically so coupled with Nashville's growth and younger demographic it seems likely at some point.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:51 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,604,439 times
Glenn Beck is a cool guy. Lay off.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:54 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,255,343 times
CLEVELAND is an extremely trendy city ... there's an ever burgeoning influx of yuppies, hipsters and other younger professionals "moving in" from other cities now.
A glaring example as the proof? Downtown occupancy rates for existing apts, lofts and condos stands above 95% - there's an actual shortage of available housing in downtown Cleveland to meet the growing demands - there's a waiting list for existing housing in the downtown area. Many developers are taking note of the growing demand, and there are various housing developments being planned ... in addition to older, existing structures being converted from commercial to residential use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.