U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-13-2012, 09:48 AM
 
14 posts, read 15,542 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Pittsburgh is we're talking hipster fkcus.

I agree that NO is a very cool place to live, but as others have said its always had a big Bohemian sort of community.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2012, 09:58 AM
 
Location: The State Of California
9,467 posts, read 12,307,236 times
Reputation: 3591
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
If you read my post, New Orleans had taken quite a hit post-Katrina, and many people speculated that the city would never recover.

But looking at the emergence of New Orleans as a filming location (not just a setting) and prominent events in the future, it's taken a nice upward trend over the past couple of years.

A trend need not start from zero.
You're right NOLA has rebounded nicely , and you did mention " since the hurricane" , but it still was weird seeing it on the ( New Trendy Cities List) Pittsburgh and Cleveland get mention a lot , well when they had around 900,000 population they were quite trendy cities " they have 300,000 folks living there now".
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2012, 10:01 AM
 
Location: New York
491 posts, read 468,249 times
Reputation: 488
the upstate cities are begining to make a real push at "trendy," and professional living. In Albany I know there is a big resurgence in downtown living and a more urban professional culture (helps having state capital of course). A lively downtown = vibrant arts scene, and I believe the upstate cities are recognizing this, after years of putting all their efforts into manufacturing.

In syracuse there is a lot of projects under way. While it is certainly short of a "boom" it is nonetheless beginign to keep people in the city. Since new yorkers are some of the most energetic young people out there, it is important that they not leave for other states. Location wise, University hill area has always been cool (westcott is a hipster fest) and armory square is filling up tenants throughout. Also, when you take into account the short ride to Ithaca, a lot of great music can be found in the central area.

lastly...water...everyone needs it, east coast has it. This is why past hotspots like arizona and nevada will continue to decline in terms of "trendy" popularity, as those and many other cities will struggle with high taxes in order to sustain themselves.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 04:16 PM
 
10,559 posts, read 13,116,292 times
Reputation: 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
You're right NOLA has rebounded nicely , and you did mention " since the hurricane" , but it still was weird seeing it on the ( New Trendy Cities List) Pittsburgh and Cleveland get mention a lot , well when they had around 900,000 population they were quite trendy cities " they have 300,000 folks living there now".
How so? Staying at the top in murder rates?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 06:40 PM
 
Location: The State Of California
9,467 posts, read 12,307,236 times
Reputation: 3591
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
the upstate cities are begining to make a real push at "trendy," and professional living. In Albany I know there is a big resurgence in downtown living and a more urban professional culture (helps having state capital of course). A lively downtown = vibrant arts scene, and I believe the upstate cities are recognizing this, after years of putting all their efforts into manufacturing.

In syracuse there is a lot of projects under way. While it is certainly short of a "boom" it is nonetheless beginign to keep people in the city. Since new yorkers are some of the most energetic young people out there, it is important that they not leave for other states. Location wise, University hill area has always been cool (westcott is a hipster fest) and armory square is filling up tenants throughout. Also, when you take into account the short ride to Ithaca, a lot of great music can be found in the central area.

lastly...water...everyone needs it, east coast has it. This is why past hotspots like arizona and nevada will continue to decline in terms of "trendy" popularity, as those and many other cities will struggle with high taxes in order to sustain themselves.
Great post about some upstate New York cities new urban projects , but regarding the western cities " the water problem " is being solved by building Desalinization Plants....that will solve the water problems , and with that said it's Boom Cities All Over Again....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 06:43 PM
 
Location: The State Of California
9,467 posts, read 12,307,236 times
Reputation: 3591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
How so? Staying at the top in murder rates?

There been a tremendous drop in the murder rate after the hurricane and flood , and the city leadership is going to have to stand up and do their's jobs to maintain the current situation....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 08:03 PM
 
Location: Mequon, WI
7,835 posts, read 19,570,106 times
Reputation: 4430
Homer pick: Milwaukee

Non-homer pick: Corpus Christi
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh PA
1,127 posts, read 1,966,728 times
Reputation: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Homer pick: Milwaukee

Non-homer pick: Corpus Christi
I can actually see both of those cities become trendy. Not too expensive, good locations, both on a large body of water (The Gulf and Lake Michigan) and relatively safe.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 08:23 PM
 
10,559 posts, read 13,116,292 times
Reputation: 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
There been a tremendous drop in the murder rate after the hurricane and flood , and the city leadership is going to have to stand up and do their's jobs to maintain the current situation....
Still one of the highest murder rates in the country. I just don't get the hype. And I'm a francophone.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 10:06 PM
 
1,109 posts, read 1,972,730 times
Reputation: 1074
[quote=caphillsea77;22381044]Dang! Yeah you have a point. Pittsburgh is just one of those cities that you want to root for. It looks different than other cities, beautiful city with its hilly and three river setting, tradmark bridges, architecture and skyline, and with its efforts in making a comeback just seems like it should be further along and better than where it's currently or will be at.[/quot

The problem with Pittsburgh might be that it is so damn cloudy for so many months. On top of that it is cold of course being in the north. But both cold and cloudly at the same time can be a real downer.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top