U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 10:34 PM

1,109 posts, read 1,973,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
When did you live there?

Off the top of my head, I know of four transplants to Pittsburgh on the Pittsburgh forum here: two from Detroit, one from Washington DC and one from Orlando. None of them hate it there, from what I can tell. Just because you hated it there doesn't mean that you have to be born and raised in the area in order to like it. Furthermore, your opinion isn't necessarily representative of the opinions of everybody who's ever moved to Pittsburgh from elsewhere.
The problem with Pittsburh is that it is a very insular city. If you arn't born and raised there you feel waaaay on the outside. I know that it is true of most places that it takes awhile to fit in but in Pittsburgh is much more so that way. I don't know why but its true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 11:46 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,813,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
No I had some Eastern Cities on my list....people from the east promote their's cities ' without any western cities on them " (I didn't Do that)..
their's cities????

Please name the Eastern cities. I didn't see any. Midwestern might be Eastern to you but it's not to us. BTW, I was born and raised as a kid on the West Coast. I do have some perspective here.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:55 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,816,869 times
Omaha was mentioned earlier and I may be a homer, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Omaha become "trendy."

Any indie music fan is already familiar with the "Omaha Sound" the music scene here is better than many cities much larger than our size. We have a concert venue called The Slowdown that Esquire called the best in America. It is run by Saddle Creek Records(Bright Eyes, Cursive and Two Gallants are just a few of the bands SCR represents).

We also have a new art house theater right next door to the concert venue. Alexander Payne is a board member for the theater and hosted a premie event for "The Descendants" after the Hollywood premier.

Here is an NPR article about that development. The Indie-Rock Club Behind Omaha's $100 Million Creative Boom : Planet Money : NPR

By the way Conor Oberst held a secret show last night in Omaha. Not a whole lot of cities outside of NYC, Seattle ect see artists of his stature picking up his guitar for a quick set at the local bar .

Old 01-16-2012, 10:07 PM

3,118 posts, read 4,151,556 times
Durham. Suddenly, it is getting all types of high profile national accolades, including having one of the top ranked performing arts centers and being ranked the most tolerant city in the nation.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:55 PM

13,223 posts, read 17,966,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
The problem with Pittsburh is that it is a very insular city. If you arn't born and raised there you feel waaaay on the outside. I know that it is true of most places that it takes awhile to fit in but in Pittsburgh is much more so that way. I don't know why but its true.
That might have been true in the 1990's, but it was less true in the 2000's, and is becoming progressively less true as time goes.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:18 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,024,591 times
even 20 years ago, I felt right at home in Pittsburgh.
Great city. Art / food scene is really good.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:51 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,948,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
Omaha was mentioned earlier and I may be a homer, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Omaha become "trendy."

Any indie music fan is already familiar with the "Omaha Sound"...
All true, and then there's Buffett: he's sort of trendy, in a geriatric businessman kind of way, lol.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:52 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,141,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post

Any indie music fan is already familiar with the "Omaha Sound" the music scene here is better than many cities much larger than our size. We have a concert venue called The Slowdown that Esquire called the best in America. It is run by Saddle Creek Records(Bright Eyes, Cursive and Two Gallants are just a few of the bands SCR represents).

We also have a new art house theater right next door to the concert venue. Alexander Payne is a board member for the theater and hosted a premie event for "The Descendants" after the Hollywood premier.

Here is an NPR article about that development. The Indie-Rock Club Behind Omaha's $100 Million Creative Boom : Planet Money : NPR

By the way Conor Oberst held a secret show last night in Omaha. Not a whole lot of cities outside of NYC, Seattle ect see artists of his stature picking up his guitar for a quick set at the local bar .
Omaha certainly has a kick-butt economy right now -- that can't hurt its popularity!

Old 01-20-2012, 07:14 AM

21,197 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Durham. Suddenly, it is getting all types of high profile national accolades, including having one of the top ranked performing arts centers and being ranked the most tolerant city in the nation.
^^^ Agreed. Good choice.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:07 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,767,737 times
I would be the homer and say Denver, but I'm not sure that Denver really counts as up-and-coming. I think Denver's been trendy for a long time, just not quite in the same level of trendiness as Seattle or Austin. That's probably a good thing.

For truly up-and-coming, my vote would be Albuquerque. It's always been a city in the shadow of the much smaller but trendier Santa Fe, 45 minutes away. It reminds me a bit of the relationship between trendy Boulder and big-city Denver, the former's coolness now having rubbed off on its much-larger neighbor. Once, Denver was sneered at by the hipster crowd on their way to Boulder, but now Denver is easily the equal of the smaller neighbor in hipster attractiveness.

I could see Albuquerque following a similar route. It features great proximity to winter and summer recreation, an underrated climate, plenty of local color and cuisine, and a growing arts scene. It has a low COL that's accessible to poor bohemians. Plus who doesn't love the southwest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.