U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 01:06 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,113,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Lol really when did Beverly Hills stop being trendy . Isn't Beverly Hills in LA ?
That's not really the type of trendy this thread is referring too.... More Portlandia, less Real Housewives.

I agree LA is poised to become more trendy, but won't have the biggest growth in "trendiness". Like it was said before, Echo Park, Silverlake, Highland Park, Los Feliz, Hollywood are all pretty trendy and have been for about 10 years (some longer).

I hope the correct answer to this thread is Detroit. It would be great for that city to get some positive momentum. It has a pretty cool skyline, some great urban neighborhoods, it just needs better PT for it to really achieve "hipness".

I had some friends move to Pittsburgh last year, they liked it alright (they had just moved from Boston, so it was a bit of a downgrade in their opinions), but part of their lukewarmness may have had more to do with a bad personal experience there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 01:11 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,525,978 times
Doesn't Detroit want to shrink the city? Can't import a bunch of trendy types if there's nowhere to live!

Old 01-03-2012, 01:34 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,113,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Doesn't Detroit want to shrink the city? Can't import a bunch of trendy types if there's nowhere to live!
What? I'm gonna guess that if a city lost half its population in the last few decades that there are plenty of places to live in - the ones that are not beyond repair at least.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:48 PM

9,433 posts, read 18,334,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZ750 View Post
Kansas City, Portland Maine, Boise, Albuquerque... all those seem more likely.
That's a pretty good list

Kansas City: I seem to be under the impression that artists are flocking and thriving here, is that true? I've read about the new power and light district and nightlife downtown, seems to be making good strides.

Portland, Maine: The other Portland; the small wonder. It's eclectic enough, very cute town. It's just small, wonder if this city would ever really grow, you know the way cities actually grow. It's been spending 5 decades or more trying to crest 70,000. Portsmouth down the road has just as much to do with a very similar ambiance at about half the size. I'd say Providence has more potential and is better located. But yes there is already a fairly sizable hipster population there, but in the next decade it’s hard to forecast it growing any bigger.

Boise, ID: Good call. Boise is poised for population and economic growth, a good downtown, could attract the ski bunnies and dudes (Sun Valley on weekends), and attract the kind of hipsters drawn to Seattle, Portland (or Denver) minus all the homeless people.

Albuquerque: Yes definitely. This city wasn't on my radar 2 years ago and now I'll be moving there in two months. The retro route 66 kitsch and trendy collegiate vibe of Nob Hill, the romantic and historic Spanish vibe of Old Town, a very remarkable art museum for a city of its size and visible artistry/murals all over the city along with being an hour from Santa Fe which is already a well known art capital. Poised for population gain and economic growth, currently has lower unemployment than most Western cities and well below the national average, this is the West's next boomtown. Downtown needs work, it's already in progress, an influx of hipsters would easily bring it up further.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Sorry cap - I don't see P'burgh making the A-list. Not that it's not a good candidate - I just know it's been named the top this and that since the 80s, and it still hasn't made it over the hump. Witness: their population continues to be in serious decline:

1950 676,806 (+0.8%)
1960 604,332 (−10.7%)
1970 520,117 (−13.9%)
1980 423,938 (−18.5%)
1990 369,879 (−12.8%)
2000 334,563 (−9.5%)
2010 305,704 (−8.6%)

Pittsburgh has to address its population free fall first.

In the case of Seattle and Austin, they were in growth mode and the media simply caught up after the fact - as it always does. The trick is to ID the cities already attracting hipsters that are off the media radar. Asheville? Portland ME? St Paul? Columbus? Tucson?
Dang! Yeah you have a point. Pittsburgh is just one of those cities that you want to root for. It looks different than other cities, beautiful city with its hilly and three river setting, tradmark bridges, architecture and skyline, and with its efforts in making a comeback just seems like it should be further along and better than where it's currently or will be at.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:56 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,763,860 times
I kind of think small and mid-sized cities are going to be the next step. Boise, Missoula, Duluth, Des Moines, Iowa City, Madison, Columbus, Burlington, Portland (Maine). Or maybe that will be the step after some more bigger cities. Detroit makes some sense to me, as do Pittsburgh, Kansas City, and St. Louis. Minneapolis is pretty much there already.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:11 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,394,085 times
It isnt huge, but Silver Spring is getting hip.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:16 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,947,888 times
Yuma, Arizona.

Just kidding. I just want to say: don't get so hung up on declining populations (like in Pittsburgh's case).

The fact is that every city has some people leaving and some people coming in. The question, then, is who is coming in? In Pittsburgh's case, the answer is hipsters. I have seen it with my own eyes.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Yuma, Arizona.

Just kidding.
Hipster trailer parks? LOL

Trailer Park (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sfphotocraft/1912820656/ - broken link) by sfPhotocraft (http://www.flickr.com/people/sfphotocraft/ - broken link), on Flickr

trash (http://www.flickr.com/photos/oddboy/158420560/ - broken link) by oddsxends (http://www.flickr.com/people/oddboy/ - broken link), on Flickr

Trailer Park Glam (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gharness/4944147796/ - broken link) by gharness (http://www.flickr.com/people/gharness/ - broken link), on Flickr

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 01-03-2012 at 04:38 PM..

Old 01-03-2012, 04:34 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,947,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Hipster trailer parks? LOL

Trailer Park (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sfphotocraft/1912820656/ - broken link) by sfPhotocraft (http://www.flickr.com/people/sfphotocraft/ - broken link), on Flickr
perfectly ironic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.