U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 02:31 AM

6,066 posts, read 10,851,984 times

Advertisements

Albuquerque New Mexico

Boise Idaho

Sacramento California

Omaha Nebraska

Kansas City Kansas

Pittsburgh Pennsylvania

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 01-04-2012 at 02:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 04:07 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,835,555 times
Greg Brown has an interesting take on the phenomenon.

Lyrics to Boomtown: Greg Brown -- Lyrics for THE POET GAME

and, part of the song: Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music

Old 01-04-2012, 07:20 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,079,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Albuquerque New Mexico

Kansas City Kansas
You do realize that the Larger and Primary Kansas City is in Missouri, not Kansas. Kansas City, KS is similar to a city like East St Louis, Camden, or Gary Indiana just not as dangerous

Old 01-04-2012, 10:25 AM

3,844 posts, read 8,033,994 times
My vote is Pittsburgh and Cleveland.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:51 AM

1,446 posts, read 2,290,608 times
I'm going to guess Nashville. It seems to have many things in common with Austin. I'm guessing it is the most liberal city in the conservative state of Tennessee (correct me if I'm wrong). It also has a first class university (Vanderbilt). It already has a name that people recognize, it has a nice climate with four seasons, has a fairly diverse economy and has a very vibrant music scene (similar to Austin's rep for live music).

Right now I think it is a bit limited b/c of the association with religion and country music, but if people start thinking about Nashville in association with music generally (instead of just country music) it could be the next trendy place...

Old 01-04-2012, 11:43 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,007,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I'm going to guess Nashville. It seems to have many things in common with Austin. I'm guessing it is the most liberal city in the conservative state of Tennessee (correct me if I'm wrong). It also has a first class university (Vanderbilt). It already has a name that people recognize, it has a nice climate with four seasons, has a fairly diverse economy and has a very vibrant music scene (similar to Austin's rep for live music).

Right now I think it is a bit limited b/c of the association with religion and country music, but if people start thinking about Nashville in association with music generally (instead of just country music) it could be the next trendy place...
I'm not sure if it is the most liberal city in TN, Memphis has that reputation, but it could be either one. But I agree, most people I know who actually live in Nashville aren't big into country. They're more hipster. That's why I also said earlier in the thread that I think Nashville will be the next trendy city. People who live there want it to be trendy and urban, not country. I think it's mostly out of towners who make Nashville a "country city"

Old 01-04-2012, 11:54 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,230,799 times
By definition, something 'trendy' eventually dies off in favor of something else. The people who move to these trendy cities consume and move on somewhere else for the next sensory experience. These tend to be people who depend on external sensory experiences to meet their needs rather than create things. They easily get bored. People who get bored are boring people themselves. They are essentially trendy consumers. Do you want your city to attract that?

Old 01-04-2012, 12:28 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,623,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest View Post
Boise and SLC are completely heinous! Boise is surrounded by endless rolling hills of nothing and SLC sprawls out into oblivion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
I was in Boise mid 2011 and it was a big yawn. Only plus for me was the skiing nearby. Sun Valley was nice, but nothing on Park City.
Well, I don't know, maybe Boise does suck... I was taking the word of the people I've known who moved there and said they were pleasantly suprised by the city. I've only been there briefly a few times... But that's why I speculated that I don't see Boise ever becoming a real hip location like Seattle or Porland--more so I could see it being sort of a smaller Denver---depending on how the local economy grows.

Last edited by Deezus; 01-04-2012 at 12:54 PM..

Old 01-04-2012, 12:52 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,813,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
By definition, something 'trendy' eventually dies off in favor of something else. The people who move to these trendy cities consume and move on somewhere else for the next sensory experience. These tend to be people who depend on external sensory experiences to meet their needs rather than create things. They easily get bored. People who get bored are boring people themselves. They are essentially trendy consumers. Do you want your city to attract that?
Some of the cities mentioned in this thread will probably take anything that they can get to stop the bleeding of their populations.
If you are correct in your definition of trendy and how it applies to cities than becoming the next trendy city is like politicians kicking the can down the road.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:59 PM

65 posts, read 118,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Kansas City looks promising. They're really pushing the creative class concept.

Unfortunately, the creative class types may not want to move to a state which seems to elect more than its share of social conservatives to power.
CoughAUSTINcough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.