U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 07:59 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,630,288 times

Advertisements

I see this all the time traveling for work. Some people just like to complain and blow things out of proportion. Much of the bashing I hear is overblown or just plain false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 01:26 PM

6,854 posts, read 7,802,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Well on the other hand, there is this thing called "venting." After having a bad experience, sometimes you just need to talk about it.
Venting is one thing. Obsessing is another.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:40 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,111,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
You haven't met our resident New Yorkers, have you?
LOL for realz.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:50 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,185,453 times
I've noticed a little of both, and it seems I'm always of the opposite opinion to the majority. When I lived in the Nashville area, I hated it more than anything, yet most of the posters in that forum seem to love it. And, rather immaturely, I'll admit, I definitely made that known initially when I first started posting here. I feel ridiculous saying this, but it sort of irritated me to see people gushing on and on so adoringly about a place I hated so much. Later I did my best to be more neutral, even positive, and tried to focus on things I thought potential transplants would find appealing. It was difficult, considering how badly I wanted to leave, but I tried not to bash the area like I had at first.

Now, I live near the Seattle area and see a LOT of people in that forum who are at least as negative as I was about Nashville. And it irritates me when I see people vehemently bashing my town, and to a lesser extent Seattle, because I really do love this area and especially my town. But I try to remind myself of how I felt when I lived in TN, and how miserable it is to live somewhere you despise. And when you are truly miserable, sometimes you get so that you focus on all the bad things all the time and forget the good things. Even though I haven't lived in TN for over five months, I still can't recall much positive about the area. Maybe eventually I will. But I see that a lot with my current area, where people seem obsessed with the fact that the sky is cloudy, and miss all the positive things I notice when comparing it to my old town (like the fact that the weather is usually, in fact, pretty mild here). But in TN I was obsessed with the miserable summers, to the point that it even made it hard for me to enjoy winter. So I suppose I can understand it, even if I forget what it was like sometimes.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:25 PM

9,382 posts, read 9,541,753 times
If your on the inside you can criticize, if your not you can't. Same reason you can verbally abuse your siblings but others cannot.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:25 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,735,931 times
I like where I live, but the rose-colored glasses of the people who want to move here or have been here for a short time (>5 years) is incredible. Of course these people are those who hate their current locale.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:30 AM

30,334 posts, read 27,795,867 times
As is everything in life,,,, things change. My family and I moved because of issues where we were at and things we didnít like at the time. Now (after 30 yr of being here) we no longer like where weíre at. Itís time to move again because of the issues here that we donít care for. I like to be around like minded people, good local government, and a positive place to live. Our area has changed over the years and not necessarily for the good.

Because Iím here, and because I know what other locations are like ~ I can speak out and bash his location, speaking from experience is what itís about.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:16 PM

5,012 posts, read 4,717,795 times
I don't think that's true of all the city forums. The Nashville forum tends to be pretty positive, both from natives and transplants. And I think it's fairly realistic too. When people come on to the forums saying they hate humidity, love public tranportation, etc., the regulars generally politely suggest Nashville is probably not for them. No one is overly defensive about most things. I've seen bugs and floods explained patiently a few thousand times.

There is another city board from my state that seems to attract both huge boosterism and huge hate. Neither side is completely honest with potential transplants, and people trying to give a reasoned, in the middle response often get attacked from both sides. I always feel bad for people trying to get an honest answer on that board.

Last edited by brentwoodgirl; 01-05-2012 at 04:41 PM..

Old 01-09-2012, 04:29 AM

3,240 posts, read 3,286,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Actually, this level of immaturity bothers me less than the posters who lurk in the forums of places they used to live endlessly proclaiming how their old home sucks and other such nonsense. What's the agenda? If they are so happy having left, why look back? It's always interesting to read between the lines. If "the economy sucks," I suspect they got fired for incompetence. If "the women are ugly and stuck up," I suspect they were actually too sophistcated to fall for the moron's BS.

Have these folks really never heard the quote "thou doth protest too much"?
You don't find it odd that your complaining about how much you hate hearing complaining but you yourself are complaining? All cities have something that sucks about it and its good for people to validly point out what is wrong with cities, it may deter people from making an unwise decision to move there. Some cities are not for some people and there really are discrepancies in women's appearances in different cities. Can you honestly tell me there are as many beautiful women in DC or Buffalo than in Los Angeles?

Old 01-09-2012, 06:55 AM

7,742 posts, read 6,144,011 times
What about the people that are optimistic about their city, but are reminded constantly by other posters that their city is a dump. I think that is quite annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or