U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 12:54 AM

8,521 posts, read 14,010,671 times

Advertisements

No, not really everyone but as I visit each forum reading and learning there seems to be a "this place sucks" mentality. Either from transplants that regret moving to the "new city" or native locals.

Wanting to relocate for the purpose of seeing something new is perfectly understandable but bashing a place to high hell as if the next city will be perfect is asinine.

I read it on thread after thread, forum and after forum...........bashing and complaining.

The grass is not greener. It may have a different look and feel but it's the same underneath. IF you want to move, do it because you want to see something new. After all, here in the USA we have 50 states, why not see other places. BUT I caution you about looking for the perfect place. Because after a period of time and the newness fades, it'll will be just like the other place in which you lived.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 12:58 AM

14,157 posts, read 19,812,740 times
Well no city is perfect and there are always things to complain about.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:07 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,951,618 times
I'm mostly fine where I am now. I really only take jabs at the places I left behind, and even then I try not to overdo it.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:29 AM

9,967 posts, read 14,648,307 times
My personal favorite is the genre of CityData posters who start showing up on the local forums with wide-eyed questions about a city that they are really, really excited to move to, because they're sure, this one, this time is the place. They get some helpful advice from locals---make the move, and suddenly two months later they're really disappointed in where they moved to, because they thought they'd get a never-ending stream of job offers, hot women, and non-stop excitement and it didn't kick off immediately upon their arrival. They turn against their new city, and somehow their initial excitement turns into a non-stop parade of vitriol, criticizing every aspect of the city they are now disappointed with. Eventually they move to their new favorite city, but they are sure to take potshots at their previous city at every opportunity they can including trolling on the forum for the city and insulting all the local posters who were previously so helpful to them--just because they have to let the entire world(well CityData) know just how awful that place was for them.

Like the jokers who move to Portland, Oregon and are somehow surprised because a) Portland isn't the biggest, most urban and diverse city in the US; b) It's cloudy and rains a lot here. Holy cow! You didn't realize this from beforehand? Or the geniuses who are disapointed because San Francisco turns out to be expensive.... But I've seen it on tons of forums for tons of different cities.... But some of these folks, it's like did you pick a city to move to by drinking a bottle of Scotch and throwing darts at a map of the United States and hoping it'd work out?

Old 01-03-2012, 02:32 AM

25 posts, read 43,988 times
It seems to me that some people don't do enough research. Yea they come to citydata and ask a couple of questions, but that's all they do. I did that about relocating to the midwest and I've been doing tons of research about the suggestions that I received.

I just think some people will be unhappy no matter where they live.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:21 AM

6,872 posts, read 7,828,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
My personal favorite is the genre of CityData posters who start showing up on the local forums with wide-eyed questions about a city that they are really, really excited to move to, because they're sure, this one, this time is the place. They get some helpful advice from locals---make the move, and suddenly two months later they're really disappointed in where they moved to, because they thought they'd get a never-ending stream of job offers, hot women, and non-stop excitement and it didn't kick off immediately upon their arrival. They turn against their new city, and somehow their initial excitement turns into a non-stop parade of vitriol, criticizing every aspect of the city they are now disappointed with. Eventually they move to their new favorite city, but they are sure to take potshots at their previous city at every opportunity they can including trolling on the forum for the city and insulting all the local posters who were previously so helpful to them--just because they have to let the entire world(well CityData) know just how awful that place was for them.
Actually, this level of immaturity bothers me less than the posters who lurk in the forums of places they used to live endlessly proclaiming how their old home sucks and other such nonsense. What's the agenda? If they are so happy having left, why look back? It's always interesting to read between the lines. If "the economy sucks," I suspect they got fired for incompetence. If "the women are ugly and stuck up," I suspect they were actually too sophistcated to fall for the moron's BS.

Have these folks really never heard the quote "thou doth protest too much"?

Old 01-03-2012, 07:36 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,951,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Have these folks really never heard the quote "thou doth protest too much"?
Well on the other hand, there is this thing called "venting." After having a bad experience, sometimes you just need to talk about it.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:38 AM

43,607 posts, read 52,806,666 times
I don't. I love where I live. Why would I live here otherwise?

Old 01-03-2012, 07:43 AM

413 posts, read 654,506 times
I have observed the opposite behavior much more frequently. I keep seeing posters trumpeting the virtue of their cities beyond reason and attacking the cities where other posters live in a juvenile "my city can beat up your city" manner.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:51 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,144,263 times
You haven't met our resident New Yorkers, have you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or