U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 02:56 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,749,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZ750 View Post
I love the Pacific Northwest, and could easily see myself living in Seattle one day. That said, when I've had to occasion to visit in the winter, I have hit a couple multi-day stretches of no sunshine... which I could handle, but more sun is better, clearly. On day 4 or 5, you do start asking when will the sun come back out?

I know the drizzle/weather helps contribute to the PNW's beauty, so is part of the equation. Nonetheless, what city would be the best alternative to a Seattle while still being as close to the PNW as possible in every other way, but have a little bit more winter sun??
Spokane. Eastern WA gets a lot more sunshine than the coast, thanks to the rain shadow that the Cascades cast over that area. However, the winters are a bit colder over there, and the summers a bit hotter. But if it's more sunshine you're looking for, without having to leave the region, Spokane would be your best bet. I'm strictly speaking in terms of weather though. Spokane is a much smaller city than Seattle, or even Portland, and it lacks a lot of the big city amenities that the latter 2 cities have, and is a bit more conservative. However, politics were never specified in your criteria, so I don't know if that's an issue or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 02:59 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,607,998 times
Do you want to live in a city like Seattle(or somewhere bigger) or are willing to look at somewhere smaller in size? Because that can sort of speed expand or slim down the list of options pretty quickly.

Really the closest thing you'll find to the Northwest with better weather and more sun is parts of Northern California. There's places east of the Cascades in the Northwest with more sun(and drier climates) but they tend to be a different experience than the western areas in terms of culture and landscape. And they still can get cloudy in the winter, though just not as much as the western, wet side of the mountains.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,750 posts, read 54,373,866 times
I make the trip from Seattle to Sequim often to visit family and it's 3 hours if you don't have to wait long for the ferry. An alternative is Anacortes. It's 90 minutes drive to Seattle (half as long as Sequim) but still 10-15" less rain than Seattle and more sun since it's still within the range of the rain shadow. Unfortunately none of the sunnier NW cities are close to metro areas. Bandon OR, for example, is very sunny, and on the coast, but a long way from any decent sized cities and those are just Eugene and Roseburg. Have a look at Richland, WA.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:54 PM

3 posts, read 3,930 times
Look at it this way, the winters are very rainy but you CAN drive to the snow which is fun I grew up in WA and also lived in OR .. Look into Portland area, still rain, but a little bit less rain, I know from experience. The summers, like you said, are awesome and you cannot have a better summer anywhere I promise! No humidity, long days (dark at 10p) compared to 8pm on the East coast, no poisonous snakes and spiders or ticks and "red bugs" from the south to bug you when you go out hiking, which you will be doing. It never gets TOO cold or TOO hot compared to East Coast. No rain in the summer usually, Which is July 5th- end of Septemeber, October is nice, and November is counted as the rainiest month.. but like I said you can at least drive to the snow but you don't have to LIVE in the snow and shovel it or deal with negative degrees. I have lived lots of places and you just really can't beat it, even with the rain! Does winter really matter anyway? I mean, no matter where you live it's dark at 5pm so by the time you get off work it's dark anywhere.. the season that matters is SUMMER and it's the best in PNW! Also, the fall foliage is beautiful and you still have plenty of beautiful green pine trees all year long

Old 09-08-2014, 01:19 PM

6,945 posts, read 9,042,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
You could live in Sequim Wa. with only 15in of rain a year and 300 sunny days a year. The rain drops on the Olympic Rain Forest and the clouds split and go around the valley in sequim. Its on the Olympic Peninsula but accesible by ferry from Seattle to the peninsula. Its the dryest spot in western Wa and sunniest.
Sequim and 300 sunny days a year Not really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.