U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 10:12 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,429,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Exactly how large is a "large city"? A million or more city population? Then very few of them would be considered "afforadable", at least by comparison to other cities. I don't see Chicago as all that affordable.
If you're talking about cities with at least a million metro population, then there are many options: Kansas City, Louisville, Memphis, St. Louis, Nashville, and Milwaukee to name a few.
500,000 to 1,000,000 in city population.

However, these days cities are measured by their metro areas. I think if a city has a metro area of 4 million to 8 million, it is probably classified as a "large city".
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 10:09 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,657,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
NYC is the most vibrant and functional city in America. Baltimore, Wilmington and Richmond are some of the least vibrant and most dysfunctional cities in America. I can't see how someone interested in NYC would settle for them.
Exactly, somebody considering NYC would not settle for Baltimore or Wilmington. It's not even remotely close... they would be better off going to Philly, Seattle, or numerous other cities, or just stay where they already are and wait until they afford it, I don't see the point of somebody willingly relocating to those places. Wilmington was the most dangerous city per capita in 2012 and crime continues to escalate, and Baltimore isn't the greatest either.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:06 PM

32,289 posts, read 33,190,021 times
I would say San Francisco but it isn't cheaper that Manhattan. What about Washington, D.C.?

Old 01-16-2014, 03:37 PM

4,482 posts, read 7,564,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I would say San Francisco but it isn't cheaper that Manhattan. What about Washington, D.C.?
DC has become exorbitantly expensive over the past decade. Not quite Manhattan-like rents/housing prices, but not terribly far off. It also has a lot to offer as a city, and is increasingly becoming more vibrant, but you could also never compare it to a place like New York, which has a much more diversity -- not just racially, but in terms of various backgrounds/interests.

DC is heavily-dominated by the politically-oriented, self-important yuppie set, and that can be a turn-off after a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or