U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 03:48 PM

2,881 posts, read 4,619,830 times

Advertisements

I don't care one way or the other about hipsters. After all, we're all young once.

OTOH, people who wear glasses (ironic throwback frames) when they have 20/20 vision just...just...enrage me. What's more, if you're a hipster, don't approach me about my glasses asking me if they're "real." Don't do that. For your health and wellness, don't do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 03:56 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,029,768 times
yourscenesucks.com

Hipsters need to get there own look, play their own music, create their own art instead of co opting everything from over 20 years (+) ago and calling it new

Old 01-04-2012, 03:58 PM

469 posts, read 766,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
yourscenesucks.com

Hipsters need to get there own look, play their own music, create their own art instead of co opting everything from over 20 years (+) ago and calling it new
Have you heard dubstep?? Please keep borrowing from the past if dubstep is the way of the future

Old 01-04-2012, 03:58 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,628,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
These days it means you're a skinny white youth that wears skinny jeans, listens to nothing but Indie music, tries to look like a Bohemian but in reality has fairly decent money.

Keep in mind that the term Hipster isn't new. It also refers to an African-American subculture from the 40s.
Yeah, it came out of the Bebop era in jazz back in a period when jazz musicians were still considered edgy hip urban artists...

These days hipster is the most overused word to describe anything. Most of the stuff that people attribute to hipsters like black rimmed glasses, tight jeans, popular indie music artists, retro 80s stuff and so on, is completely passť and fairly mainstream to your average suburban teenager. I see plenty of 45-year-old soccer moms with black rimmed glasses these days. It's sort of just what became one of the dominant fashion styles of the last decade--that's all.

Every generation has some trends that seem cool at the time to the kids that are looked at as being goofy by outside observers, before becoming mainstream and then falling from fashion and ending up uncool. Look at all the early 90s grunge-era stuff that now looks completely ridiculous--well at least until the next generation suddenly decides it's retro-cool again.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:06 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,058,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I see plenty of 45-year-old soccer moms with black rimmed glasses these days.
Hipsters wore those in the '80s too. Those soccer moms might just be breaking out the stuff they wore to the Sonic Youth show back in the day.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:10 PM

65 posts, read 119,026 times
I have come to the conclusion that being a hipster is something that requires effort, so I cannot possibly be a hipster as I am the laziest person alive. I still am curious to understand what is so terrible about hipsters other than "they like things that I do not personally like." I mean, where does the scourge and plague and all that come in? What harm are they actually doing?

Old 01-04-2012, 04:11 PM

766 posts, read 1,855,151 times
The reason a lot of people dislike hipsters is because many of them are posers. If you are a poser hipster, it means you dress in expensive clothes that look cheap, listen to music that you don't really like, smoke cigarettes, and do things because they are "ironic". I don't really get it either. However, if you do those things because that's genuinely "you" and you like those things, then you're cool. General rule of thumb: don't be a poser.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:16 PM

469 posts, read 766,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
The reason a lot of people dislike hipsters is because many of them are posers. If you are a poser hipster, it means you dress in expensive clothes that look cheap, listen to music that you don't really like, smoke cigarettes, and do things because they are "ironic". I don't really get it either. However, if you do those things because that's genuinely "you" and you like those things, then you're cool. General rule of thumb: don't be a poser.
Well that was about as embarrassing as the birds and the bees talk I had with my parents about 15 years ago

Old 01-04-2012, 04:18 PM

65 posts, read 119,026 times
Yeah, posers annoy me too. I wish more people were just happy with who they are, but I guess I wasn't when I was younger, either.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:27 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,628,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Hipsters wore those in the '80s too. Those soccer moms might just be breaking out the stuff they wore to the Sonic Youth show back in the day.
Sure some might... But I even see some country music lovin', Shania Twain-listening suburban moms wearing black rimmed frames out in the hick suburbs of Portland---I doubt most of those women even know who Elvis Costello is let alone Sonic Youth. But you can walk into any Lenscrafters anywhere in the country and pick up black rimmed eye glasses...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or