U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 04:44 PM

2,816 posts, read 5,384,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkispoison View Post
Well that was about as embarrassing as the birds and the bees talk I had with my parents about 15 years ago
Why take it personally? Do you consider yourself a hipster? I have a hard time imagining how someone can call himself a hipster with a straight face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 04:50 PM

334 posts, read 984,736 times
Do you pay $5 for a can of PBR at a "trendy" bar? That's a hipster trademark right there.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:52 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,017,285 times
Quote:
Have you heard dubstep?? Please keep borrowing from the past if dubstep is the way of the future
Dubstep is already about 12 years old. I can handle it for about 1/2 hour before i get the urge to smack someone over the head with a chair.

Lots of it rooted in the music of Kraftwerk, Neui, the Normal, Suicide and many other mid 1970s- 1980 bands. Throw in some dub reggae, mix it with some 1990s house and rebrand it. Original.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:55 PM

469 posts, read 765,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Why take it personally? Do you consider yourself a hipster? I have a hard time imagining how someone can call himself a hipster with a straight face.
Definitely wouldn't label myself as one. However, total punk rock guy so "poser" and "hipster" have just been beaten to death in the scene

Old 01-04-2012, 06:53 PM

47,997 posts, read 45,452,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
A person who might call themselves a hipster with a straight face doesn't know the origins of true hipsters.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:06 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,937,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
I don't care one way or the other about hipsters. After all, we're all young once.

OTOH, people who wear glasses (ironic throwback frames) when they have 20/20 vision just...just...enrage me. What's more, if you're a hipster, don't approach me about my glasses asking me if they're "real." Don't do that. For your health and wellness, don't do that.
ROFL!

I totally agree about the trendy glasses phase that continues among the hipster crowd. It almost seems like a contest to see who can wear the most obnoxious pair of frames to get attention

However, I did tell my uncle that he "might" want to update to a new pair of frames since his are over 20 years old.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:07 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,559,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Not only that but the archetype has been with us since Diogenes in ancient Greece (if not further, it is possible that hipsters have always been with us).
Diogenes wasn't a hipster... he lived in a wine barrel and was quite intelligent. Hipsters live in gentrified neighborhoods and well...

Old 01-04-2012, 07:17 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,105,724 times
Quote:
Have you heard dubstep?? Please keep borrowing from the past if dubstep is the way of the future
I know some people that like dubstep, but I had never actually taken the time to read about it / listen to it. Now that I have I know why I don't particularly like those people.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:30 PM

6,920 posts, read 12,376,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I know some people that like dubstep, but I had never actually taken the time to read about it / listen to it. Now that I have I know why I don't particularly like those people.

It's not the worst genre but it's not the best. To me it's just background noise... there are some good dubstep songs though, and it goes great with dancing:

I am partial to turfing (the dancing he's doing) though so I'm kind of biased lol

Old 01-04-2012, 08:11 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,610,447 times
Dubstep just sound likes a slowed down version of late 90s Drum and Bass or Speed Garage with more heavily distorted bass tones and midrange frequencies--which are the scenes that it developed from in England. It's not's that original, but basically nothing is--everything in music pretty much just mutates out of older musical styles. I mean what's new in rock music right now--not much at all...

I'm not really a dubstep fan, but if I was a teenager again, it'd probably seem as cool to me as jungle music did as a kid in the late 90s... There seems to be too many cheesy dubstep remixes these days though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or