U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 08:27 PM

4,029 posts, read 7,679,408 times

Advertisements

I am a true old school hipster. I shop at thrift stores, eat at diners, and listen to REM and gbv. A lot of new stuff i snubb my nose at. I do not have any tattoos. I am a legend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 09:10 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,580,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Dubstep just sound likes a slowed down version of late 90s Drum and Bass or Speed Garage with more heavily distorted bass tones and midrange frequencies--which are the scenes that it developed from in England. It's not's that original, but basically nothing is--everything in music pretty much just mutates out of older musical styles. I mean what's new in rock music right now--not much at all...

I'm not really a dubstep fan, but if I was a teenager again, it'd probably seem as cool to me as jungle music did as a kid in the late 90s... There seems to be too many cheesy dubstep remixes these days though...
hahaha

this..

there were plenty of dnb with that sound such as Bad Company and Ed Rush and Optical...

I almost dropped my jaw when I heard people were listening to this stuff and it was a burgeoning scene... a little late really...

The same way I drop my jaw when people tell me about listening to deadmau5 and "getting into house" ... lololol

I guess I know now what it feels like to be one of the ones into 90s rock and being told ...ummm you missed 1965-1975.

Also the "slowed down" is doing it a disservice.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:50 PM

17,270 posts, read 19,566,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmasevemom View Post
What exactly is a hipster, and why are they talked about as though they are some kind of plague? What is bad about them?
Look into a mirror. Does it make you feel like giving one tight slap on your face? If not, then you're probably not a hipster.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:06 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,633,801 times
I think this generation of hipsters compared to other generations is extremely annoying due to the fact that they aren't producing anything original. They are also very hypocritical and materialistic combined with extra snobby.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:43 AM

5,847 posts, read 11,028,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I think this generation of hipsters compared to other generations is extremely annoying due to the fact that they aren't producing anything original. They are also very hypocritical and materialistic combined with extra snobby.
yep

Old 01-05-2012, 12:07 PM

2,816 posts, read 5,390,917 times
It's a bit like faux bohemians. Real bohemians lived in squalid bedsits, depended on the charity of acquaintances to put some food in their mouths and died young of tuberculosis. If they wish to call themselves bohemians at least they should have the decency of catching a lethal disease.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:54 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,570,902 times
Every youth subculture since time began has been utterly ridiculous. Hipsterism will be replaced by something just as awful.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:36 PM

15,529 posts, read 17,755,782 times
To me, dubstep sounds like Aphex Twin sanitized for the masses.

Anyway, there is a very funny tv show called 'Portlandia' that spoofs the contemporary version of hipster culture in Portland, OR.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:09 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,057,613 times
The cultural impulse that we label as "hipster" today has always been hated by large segments of society. The hateful rhetoric being spewed by many in this thread and by others elsewhere across the internet is the modern descendant of constuction workers beating up hippies in the '60s and all sorts of lesser assults and insults directed towards people of various countercultures and unpopular subcultures since the dawn of time.

The "Hipster" archetype includes many of the people who experimented with new cultural forms and made new, interesting things for people to look at, listen to, watch, and read. 95% of the creative output of such movements has always been crap but you need it to get the 5% that is good.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:14 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,633,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
The cultural impulse that we label as "hipster" today has always been hated by large segments of society. The hateful rhetoric being spewed by many in this thread and by others elsewhere across the internet is the modern descendant of constuction workers beating up hippies in the '60s and all sorts of lesser assults and insults directed towards people of various countercultures and unpopular subcultures since the dawn of time.

The "Hipster" archetype includes many of the people who experimented with new cultural forms and made new, interesting things for people to look at, listen to, watch, and read. 95% of the creative output of such movements has always been crap but you need it to get the 5% that is good.
I'm still trying to figure out what this generation is doing that is original or good. In past decades we've had indie, punk rock, new wave, hippies, etc. All which did something original and had influence. This new generation just seems to rip off everything and is not very creative at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or