U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 12:07 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,130,569 times

Advertisements

Passive-aggressive with a hint of sarcasm, focused mostly on the weather or some neighbor that you both know but who isn't currently listening.

Minnesota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 02:49 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,838,544 times
If I use what I perceive to be Miami's sense of humor to answer the OP's question, the post would likely soon be deleted by a moderator....enough said.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:24 PM

6,977 posts, read 12,511,031 times
I can't find one in the area of Florida I live. Very odd population base, as well as extremely transient area. There is alot of poverty and not A very good cross section of people. Definitely not the friendliest population. I think the mixture of Midwest snowbirds, Ontario. Low income minorities, large immigrant population and whatever native are here. Is responsible for the lack of a personality here, and lack of humor. There is no cohesion here .

Old 01-10-2017, 03:39 PM

242 posts, read 163,130 times
Chicago: Slapstick Improv

Old 01-10-2017, 04:25 PM

5,599 posts, read 3,733,916 times
Sarcasm seems to come up in the majority of posts here. Likely meaning it is perhaps the most common type
of humor in the US.

That said, Seattle and Portland, tend to be very dry and intellectual with humor. Until they get sarcastic!

Old 01-10-2017, 04:39 PM

19,922 posts, read 18,928,736 times
New Englanders' sense of humor has been called dry. I think that means direct and delivered with a straight face. One example is if someone asks for directions. The traditional answer is, "You can't get there from here."

Old 01-12-2017, 02:38 PM

332 posts, read 192,763 times
North Carolina...(or maybe the south in general) smart-ass humor, witty, sarcastic, polite, & subtle..sometimes snarky depending on the area...sometimes all can be used at once (also known as backhanded compliments bless your hearts).

Old 01-12-2017, 04:40 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,752,025 times
The northeast in general seems to have an easier time laughing at cruel humor. Calling each other names or saying the ol' F-U is considered humorous discourse.

When I moved to the deep south people mostly didn't get it, they just thought it was rude.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:48 PM

2,631 posts, read 1,943,971 times
Back 50 - 60 years ago, NE part of Detroit (Poles, Italians, Ukrainians, a few Hunkies; not Hamtramck, post war NE of there) people had a lot of nicknames. We had "Fuddy Duddy" "whistler" "The DP" the "American" [she refused to say she was Polish {18 letter last name, ending in -ski, but insisted, oh, no... she was American! ..pfft]; then there was "olja", Boobie & Pa; "loud mouth" "Mary Big Mouth." Gosh, I could go on & on. But all those neighbors socialized, more or less every day. Never a dull moment. People who lived on the corner almost always had a bench next to the sidewalk, for sitting down and shooting the breeze. Boy, those were the good old days!

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 01-12-2017 at 05:33 PM..

Old 01-12-2017, 05:07 PM

6,387 posts, read 4,714,682 times
I'm not sure what type of humor St. Louis has, I can only tell you the kind of stuff that makes me laugh. I was being interviewed for a job by this cross-eyed guy when a fly suddenly flew into his mouth, he started gagging and coughing trying to spit it out and I swear his eyes straightened out for a few seconds before he spit out the fly. I pretended I was coughing to hide my laughter. Another time I saw a cop sitting at the curb cussing while he was scraping dog poop off his shoe with a stick. I laughed at that but not as much as the dog who was peeking around the corner of a house. One time I saw a man at a Six Flags get ripped off by a soda machine and he practically turned into the Hulk, he was kicking and delivering combinations to the machine's breadbasket while calling it every name he could think of. Would this be physical humor ? I do like the Three Stooges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or