U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 05:17 PM

44,651 posts, read 36,106,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
The northeast in general seems to have an easier time laughing at cruel humor. Calling each other names or saying the ol' F-U is considered humorous discourse.

When I moved to the deep south people mostly didn't get it, they just thought it was rude.
They didn't LIKE it. There's a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 08:17 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,729,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
They didn't LIKE it. There's a difference.
Fair enough. I meant they didn't get why it would be funny, not that they wouldn't be smart enough to get it.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:05 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,648,620 times
I think this shows Cleveland has a sense of humor.

https://archpaper.com/2016/05/clevel...public-square/

Old 04-23-2018, 07:42 PM

1,509 posts, read 700,817 times
It kinda seems like mocking/derisive humor is bigger in Chicagoland than most places - and I think it has to do with our overly strict sense of local identity (e.g. jokes against hipsters, yuppies, and suburbanites) and delusion about our state's serious issues (against Hoosiers and Cheeseheads). I honestly hate that type of humor and it doesn't make me want to move back.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:06 PM

291 posts, read 121,017 times
Oh, yes. Philly has the best humor. It's all about shade, the best kind of ratchet, and reading others to filth. All with a sense of brotherly love, of course. <3

Old 04-24-2018, 06:15 AM

5,449 posts, read 2,289,752 times
Southerners tend to be storytellers, with deep dives into personality.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:16 AM

5,449 posts, read 2,289,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
The northeast in general seems to have an easier time laughing at cruel humor. Calling each other names or saying the ol' F-U is considered humorous discourse.

When I moved to the deep south people mostly didn't get it, they just thought it was rude.
We just don't consider insulting one another to be very funny. We're strange that way.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:50 AM

2,804 posts, read 1,295,354 times
I find the North East sense of humor to be vindictive and cruel. Every north easterner I've ever known has though it is perfectly acceptable to mock strangers and be constly sarcastic. Usually it isn't very witty and doesn't go beyond "That fat guy" or mocking someone who is confused, lost or just different. Some people need pity, not to be mocked.

I don't think there is anything wrong with good-naturedly making fun of your friends or being sarcastic, but relying on sarcasm all the time isn't witty or smart, its just boorish.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I find the North East sense of humor to be vindictive and cruel. Every north easterner I've ever known has though it is perfectly acceptable to mock strangers and be constly sarcastic. Usually it isn't very witty and doesn't go beyond "That fat guy" or mocking someone who is confused, lost or just different. Some people need pity, not to be mocked.

I don't think there is anything wrong with good-naturedly making fun of your friends or being sarcastic, but relying on sarcasm all the time isn't witty or smart, its just boorish.
How many of us have you met?

Old 04-24-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
We just don't consider insulting one another to be very funny. We're strange that way.
I think it only counts as an insult if it's meant that way. In the north someone may pretend punch you in the chest and call you an ol' sack of [redacted], but it's an expression of affection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or