Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 05:45 PM

218 posts, read 839,991 times

Advertisements

I'm from Richmond; the winters there are really pretty mild.

I thought I wanted warm weather too, but now that I have it (Louisiana), I really miss a good snow like I got when I lived in Philly. Four-season is the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 05:52 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,346,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMemphis View Post
I'm from Richmond; the winters there are really pretty mild.

I thought I wanted warm weather too, but now that I have it (Louisiana), I really miss a good snow like I got when I lived in Philly. Four-season is the way to go.
Four-Season weather is overrated, whenever it literally hurts to walk outside (which happens when you have a windchill of -9degrees) you suddenly get very tired of Winter. I will admit that Richmond has a milder winter than many places in the US but still when it gets caught in a cold front it can get nasty there

Old 01-04-2012, 06:14 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,462,900 times
You ever notice the Warm weather states like Mississippi, Florida, Louisana, Arizona, and Georgia all have **** poor education and are usually the top poor and uneducated states while states like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Mass, Iowa are usually the top educated states. Maybe its because of the weather?. In the winter you can hunker down with a book, read, study and get more educated.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:23 PM

43 posts, read 113,968 times
It's all about what you prefer really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
You ever notice the Warm weather states like Mississippi, Florida, Louisana, Arizona, and Georgia all have **** poor education and are usually the top poor and uneducated states while states like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Mass, Iowa are usually the top educated states. Maybe its because of the weather?. In the winter you can hunker down with a book, read, study and get more educated.
Interesting theory, but it's primarily to do with how the country developed. In the South, most people were farmers or did manual labor when our country was established (because of the climate; politics factor in as well). All of the first Universities began in the Northeast. This tradition has become relatively stable, even with the industrialization of the 20th century. The South never caught up in the area of education, for the most part.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:27 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,495,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
No, but I noticed your ignorant post. I also noticed California, the king of all sunbelt states has the best public university system in the world.
Ever noticed cold places like West Virginia have the same terrible education, or the inner cities of Chicago or Detroit?

Old 01-04-2012, 06:42 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,516,938 times
in the 30's and can't go outside? come on now.... you aren't 90.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:10 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,927,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czb2004 View Post
Lol, we have people like that in Ohio too; high of 40 F and wearing shorts and sandals with just a jacket on . I guess some people just don't like wearing pants .
In over ten years there haven't been a winter here where I don't wear shorts and flips.
Was actually sweating today walking in shorts.

There are some evenings where I throw on a light hooded shirt, but thats about it.
I think weather in the teens or below requires pants. The wind sometimes screws up things though.

I remember I was sleeping once in San Antonio with the window open and I was dreaming that kids were throwing pebbles at me. I woke up to a an ice storm blowing hail chunks in the window at my head. lol. it was a lil ice storm in 2007 and the city was basically shut down.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:05 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcaribbean View Post
I notice that it bothers me the most out of the people that live here. I'm freezing. I'm in Richmond. I can't STAND the weather. It's in the thirties and it's ridiculous. You can't even go outside. It's literally painful... some people have tolerance for it but I don't. I want warmth and sunshine again. I'm 19.

Why would anyone want to live in a climate like this? I can't believe people live up in Pennsylvania, New York, New England, mid-west, Minnesota, Canada.......... I want warm, warm, warm, year round. The cold air burns your face and makes your nose red. It's miserable... why would anyone want to put up with this?

absolutely nothing below 50 degrees!
You want nothing below 50 degrees and you ended up living in Richmond Va? How did that happen?

Old 01-04-2012, 08:36 PM

43 posts, read 113,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You want nothing below 50 degrees and you ended up living in Richmond Va? How did that happen?
college student from dc

Old 01-04-2012, 08:43 PM

93,160 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcaribbean View Post
It's all about what you prefer really.

Interesting theory, but it's primarily to do with how the country developed. In the South, most people were farmers or did manual labor when our country was established (because of the climate; politics factor in as well). All of the first Universities began in the Northeast. This tradition has become relatively stable, even with the industrialization of the 20th century. The South never caught up in the area of education, for the most part.
Just to make a slight correction, the second oldest college/university in the US is just down the road from you in the College of William and Mary. It was established in 1693.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.