U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 07:42 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,946,942 times

Advertisements

The Sunbelt explosion was/is sort of inevitable after those areas had been passed over for so long. Same with the similar prairie state boom going on now. It's just another chapter in history, nothing more nothing less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 11:07 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,671,383 times
Many Northerners have wet dreams about the sunbelt losing its steam, but the truth is this is how it's going to be for awhile and some of us just keep getting hotter. Some will sink -throws life jacket to Atlanta- while others will keep sailing.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:30 AM

6,851 posts, read 7,797,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Many Northerners have wet dreams about the sunbelt losing its steam, but the truth is this is how it's going to be for awhile and some of us just keep getting hotter.
This perception is not necessarily the reality. The infrastructure in boomtown cities is rarely able to keep up with growth. As a 26 year resident of Houston, I witnessed the ever-increasing clogged highways and surface streets (depite the unceasing road construction), the decay of cheap housing built in the last 25 years, and sprawl in all directions. C-D geeks focused on population braggadocio may have such "wet dreams," but not me. Once I was able to, I moved to a metro area with more sustainable growth.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 01-08-2012 at 11:17 AM..

Old 01-08-2012, 10:52 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,982,263 times
Quote:
Many Northerners have wet dreams about the sunbelt losing its steam, but the truth is this is how it's going to be for awhile and some of us just keep getting hotter. Some will sink -throws life jacket to Atlanta- while others will keep sailing.
It is amazing how much you hate Atlanta?? Especially when it is the second highest black population of metro's.. Atl is FAR from sinking.............

Old 01-08-2012, 10:52 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,946,942 times
Quote:
Psychological projection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-08-2012, 11:38 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,671,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
This perception is not necessarily the reality. The infrastructure in boomtown cities is rarely able to keep up with growth. As a 26 year resident of Houston, I witnessed the ever-increasing clogged highways and surface streets (depite the unceasing road construction), the decay of cheap housing built in the last 25 years, and sprawl in all directions. C-D geeks focused on population braggadocio may have such "wet dreams," but not me. Once I was able to, I moved to a metro area with more sustainable growth.
Who's bragging??? It's clear that many outsiders wish for the sunbelt to fail. All people tend to do is focus on the negatives and always point how how the sunbelt is losing steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
It is amazing how much you hate Atlanta?? Especially when it is the second highest black population of metro's.. Atl is FAR from sinking.............
Oh....ok.

I've always spoke about the negatives of fast growth; however, the sunbelt will be hot for some time and whether I speak negative or positive about. That's what it will be.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:14 PM

6,851 posts, read 7,797,618 times
Quote:
Who's bragging??? It's clear that many outsiders wish for the sunbelt to fail.
To quote your governor: "Ooops!" I misunderstood your point, so mea culpa. You've been posting for while, so I'm sure you don't confuse C-D with reality. This is one of the few forums where I've noted anyone might actually root for different cities, states and regions to "fail." In the real world, most people simply try to settle into an area they like, then go about the rest of their lives with little if any thought to other geographies. In the bigger picture, it is preferable that all regions proper. When one area fails, we all pay a bit of a price.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 01-08-2012 at 01:26 PM..

Old 01-08-2012, 03:45 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,578,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Brent, I live in the Atlanta area, and face it, Atlanta is struggling, big time. Construction has practically been at a stand still for four and a half years.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:12 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,148,414 times
Quote:

Why are posts that realities of growth and future costs associated and the impact that have impacts on QOL, COL, and ultimately continued growth a wish of failing? I wish no place to fail; America is better off with all areas strong and getting stronger. Quite honestly if anything my experience is many in these cities site only population as a form of success and for the most part (especially on CD) fail to accept historical evidence that supports issues associated with continued growth and aging infrastructure (especially on tax bases not in line with future costs). Believe what you may; I feel firmly grounded in reality and wish no ill will on any place.

History has shown that this level of growth is never sustainable and comes with futures costs (higher than during the growth period). Why is Houston immune, please dont suggest oil, the Med Center, or their port as while benefits so many other cities had comparable attributes. I think man on here are young and have never seen anything different so believe it just lasts forever; things change, that is one thing true in history. I hope all areas continue to prosper honestly

Old 01-08-2012, 04:30 PM

29,902 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
No question Atlanta is currently struggling, but sink it will not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.