Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 10:33 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,778,850 times

Advertisements

I have been to all these cities.
Minneapolis, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh were good for a day trip. Portland is good for a couple of days.
Fort Lauderdale is a nice beach town, not a bad place to spend the winter.
I have no use for Houston, Kansas City, Louisville, Providence, or Sacramento
except that I had to visit each of them to find that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 03:15 PM

830 posts, read 1,728,431 times
houston may be underrated as a city in general, but it is not underrated as a travel destination. it doesnt have the tourism draw that other cities have for a reason (it is somewhat lacking compared even cities that are smaller than it). but come and live here and u'll be able to find ways to stay entertained (with some bucks in the bank to spare).

Old 01-08-2012, 04:32 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Minneapolis, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh were good for a day trip. Portland is good for a couple of days.
This seems like an accurate perspective.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I think that there is a good case for making Baltimore the No 1 underrated city. A lot of folks who haven't been there think of the place only in the grimmest of terms, thanks to shows like Homicide: Life On The Street or The Wire. And no mistake about it, much of Baltimore is indeed grim.

But the Harbor, Fells Point, the sports stadiums, always some live music or theatre, more than a few good restaurants, museums, and day-tripping to the shore, DC or Annapolis all add up to make for a unexpectedly delightful place that I think more people should turn out to see.
What about neighborhoods like Mt Vernon, Bolton Hill, Federal Hill? I haven't been to Baltimore but from looking around on Google these areas look highly impressive. I am definitely planning to make a stop next time I am driving through.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:57 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,805,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
This seems like an accurate perspective.
Well it's subjective not accurate. Accurate would imply there is only one absolute single perpective.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Well it's subjective not accurate. Accurate would imply there is only one absolute single perpective.
Yes of course its subjective just like my assessment is subjective. But not everything that is subjective is incapable of being accurate. If someone says that Paris is a beautiful city that is also subjective. And accurate. This is not science, so "accurate" is not meant in the strictest sense here.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:54 PM

538 posts, read 1,191,340 times
Risking the wrath of the c-d forumers, I will state that I do think that Portland is underrated. It is certainly arguable whether it's underrated from the perspective of urban aficionados. I'll leave that one alone. But as a tourist destination, Portland most certainly is underrated. It's nowhere close to the top 10 most visited (in fact even SF, surprisingly, doesn't make the Forbes list). It's not even among WSJ's top 25 list. I seriously believe that Portland's unique blend of nature, urban experience, food and general quirkiness deserves to be appreciated by many more visitors.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:07 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
What about neighborhoods like Mt Vernon, Bolton Hill, Federal Hill? I haven't been to Baltimore but from looking around on Google these areas look highly impressive. I am definitely planning to make a stop next time I am driving through.
Those are beautiful areas and did not even think twice about safety while walking through them at night. They offer beautiful architecture, Federal Hill offers GREAT views of the city and the Harbor as well as a well maintained park. I would recommend visiting those places whenever you go. I honestly felt completely safe whenever I was in Baltimore (although there are friends of mine who have been there and claimed to fear for their lives )

Old 01-08-2012, 11:37 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Just came back from Portland Oregon, I was truly amazed at the architecture of the homes and the setup of the city streets, I was very impressed, definitely underrated IMO, much more urban than I had thought it was going to be, would love to go back and visit again.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:19 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
How can a city be underrated when its most common use in a sentence is, "OMFG, I F-ING LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE PORTLAND IT IS THE GREATEST AND BEER, AND CYCLING, AND SUSTAINABLE, AND GREENBELT, AND EVEEEEERRRRRRRYYYYTTTHHHIIIINNGGG ABOUT IIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And that is the people who are kind of wishy-washy about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.