U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 12:51 AM

526 posts, read 996,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
How can a city be underrated when its most common use in a sentence is, "OMFG, I F-ING LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE PORTLAND IT IS THE GREATEST AND BEER, AND CYCLING, AND SUSTAINABLE, AND GREENBELT, AND EVEEEEERRRRRRRYYYYTTTHHHIIIINNGGG ABOUT IIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And that is the people who are kind of wishy-washy about it.
Points for humor, but the simple matter is that such comments do not translate into actual number of visitors. I actually agree with you, on these pages Portland does seem a bit overrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 08:49 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,449,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peninsular View Post
Risking the wrath of the c-d forumers, I will state that I do think that Portland is underrated. It is certainly arguable whether it's underrated from the perspective of urban aficionados. I'll leave that one alone. But as a tourist destination, Portland most certainly is underrated. It's nowhere close to the top 10 most visited (in fact even SF, surprisingly, doesn't make the Forbes list). It's not even among WSJ's top 25 list. I seriously believe that Portland's unique blend of nature, urban experience, food and general quirkiness deserves to be appreciated by many more visitors.
Portland may have been underrated 15 years ago. But not now. It's a media darling, and on the CD forum, it is WAY overrated. It is constantly being touted as the "perfect city" with all the granola hippie characteristics associated with it.

I've been to Portland. Don't get me wrong. It's a cool city. But I've been to a lot of better cities. I'm not saying Sacramento is better than Portland, but I don't think the overall amenities in Portland were so much better than the differing reputations would suggest.

Bottom line is, Portland is a cool city, but it's way overrated here and there are plenty of cities that are better. But I guess it depends on who you are as well.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:35 PM

374 posts, read 345,817 times
Baltimore is extremely underrated. People think its a broke town. This place is going to be Boston of the south in a few decades just watch.

12 Best Cities for High Paying Jobs - Kiplinger

Old 01-09-2012, 07:27 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,136,989 times
Baltimore is a Southern city now?

Old 01-09-2012, 07:27 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,018,711 times
Portland was underrated the first time I visited in the late 80s. Now its a bit ridiculous. Kind of the nationwide center of gravity for all granola-crunchy white kids just graduated from college. Sacramento is O.K. for a day trip in the summer when I'm sick of the fog. There are some interesting things to do and see there for a small city. Minneapolis/St. Paul are two of the best cities I've ever experienced. I love those regional centers of culture and music that don't immediately come to mind as a tourist destination. It makes visiting so much more genuine - you actually get to see and interact with locals going about their daily lives vs. tourist industry workers (like in my town). Baltimore is awesome in many areas interspersed with some of the more war-zone, scary ghetto scenes I've ever laid eyes on (Oakland doesn't have a single neighborhood to compare). I still really enjoyed my visit there. Between Poe, John Waters, the whole "Hon" culture thing, beautiful brick rowhouses, great municipal buildings, good (and cheap) restaurants, the Inner Harbor, Little Italy, markets, great sports venues, etc... I kind of fell in love with the grimy, weird old city. I kicked the idea around of moving there for a number of years afterward, but never found the right job opportunity. I was looking at it as sort of an urban adventure if I did.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Baltimore is a Southern city now?
No, I should have clarified. The Boston of the mid atlantic. Some people would say Baltimore is southern because its south of the mason-dixon line. Its a border city in a border state. North & South have roots here.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:35 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,558,292 times
Having some residential neighborhoods that are reasonably safe and nice places to live in doesn't make a city a tourist attraction. Baltimore has the inner harbor attractions and a couple of nice museums. As I said it's good for a day trip but don't get carried away. As far as Camden Yards goes, sports venues are more important to locals then tourists and every city has their own.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:43 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,152,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
Baltimore is extremely underrated. People think its a broke town. This place is going to be Boston of the south in a few decades just watch.

12 Best Cities for High Paying Jobs - Kiplinger

I agree that Baltimore is underrated and also agree that it will continue to get better. Not sure I see Boston though, Baltimore does not have the mass of educational and research institutions (not sure anywhere does) to develop a comparable economy but still see the future continuing to get brighter for Baltimore

Old 01-10-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I agree that Baltimore is underrated and also agree that it will continue to get better. Not sure I see Boston though, Baltimore does not have the mass of educational and research institutions (not sure anywhere does) to develop a comparable economy but still see the future continuing to get brighter for Baltimore
You're kidding right? Did you read the link under my post?

"Johns Hopkins University and its accompanying medical system are the city’s largest employers, with 1 in 10 city residents working in health care or research."

Johns Hopkins, University of Maryland MC...those two alone are beasts and they're buying up half the city developing biotech parks. Here's a link for a lot of what Hopkins is doing in east Baltimore:

http://www.ebdi.org/

Link to plans for East Baltimore redevelopment by Hopkins that are well underway:

http://www.ebdi.org/uploads/pdfs/201...AL08012011.pdf

I will agree though that outside of the medical/research field it is hard for Baltimore to compete with Boston on an educational level...The Maryland University System's flagship campus, University of Maryland College Park, is in the DC area.

Last edited by TommyCarcetti; 01-10-2012 at 02:04 PM..

Old 01-10-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Having some residential neighborhoods that are reasonably safe and nice places to live in doesn't make a city a tourist attraction. Baltimore has the inner harbor attractions and a couple of nice museums. As I said it's good for a day trip but don't get carried away. As far as Camden Yards goes, sports venues are more important to locals then tourists and every city has their own.
There's a lot more to this city than just a few reasonably safe neighborhoods and some museums in Baltimore. And besides, this thread is about underrated cities, not necessarily tourist meccas. There's more to this region than you're giving credit, again, proving it is worthy of being considered among the nation's most underrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.