U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 01:56 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,171,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
You're kidding right? Johns Hopkins, University of Maryland MC...those two alone are beasts and they're buying up half the city developing Biotech Parks. I will agree though that outside of the medical field it is hard for Baltimore to compete with Boston on an educational level...The Maryland University System's flagship campus, University of Maryland College Park, is in the DC area.
No I am not, while impressive even on the medical front Baltimore is still miles behind Boston, actually still very far behind Philadelphia in this regard. Yes Hopkins is an amazing place no doubt and Univ of MD Med Center is good but compared to the research, hospitals etc in the Boston area (even Philly is heads and shoulders above Baltimore in this regard which is no sloutch) are just vastly larger on scale driven by research, great hospitals, and numerous excellent educational institutions. Also Boston while Life Sciences is at the forefront is more pioneering in research overall. I do see a brighter future Baltimore honestly but in this regard i have trouble seeing Baltimore closing the research gap Boston has developed. There may be as much research going on in Kendall Sq as in the whole Baltimore area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 05:28 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,562,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
And besides, this thread is about underrated cities, not necessarily tourist meccas.
I guess because it was published on a travel web site I Interpreted it to mean they were talking about being underrated as travel destinations.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:45 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,621,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I guess because it was published on a travel web site I Interpreted it to mean they were talking about being underrated as travel destinations.
Yes, the original article was just about these location as underrated destinations for travel:

Quote:
Whether their proximity to a larger metropolis steals their thunder or a recent city makeover remains undiscovered by the masses, the cities on our list are oft overlooked by even the savviest of travelers. If you're looking to broaden the scope of your trips to include some less-talked-about places with great art scenes, friendly locals, delectable cuisine, and/or rich history, then add one of our 10 most underrated U.S. cities to your "must-see" list today!

Old 01-11-2012, 10:23 AM

375 posts, read 346,167 times
Noted. My sincerist apologies for the misconception.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:31 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,178,542 times
I've seen this list before with the same cities... perhaps it has come out on more than one source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.