U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What US state is best for living in the wilderness?
Alaska 33 34.02%
California 3 3.09%
Idaho 6 6.19%
Montana 10 10.31%
Oregon 1 1.03%
Colorado 1 1.03%
Arizona 6 6.19%
New Mexico 2 2.06%
Washington 12 12.37%
Wyoming 3 3.09%
Another state 20 20.62%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2012, 06:25 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,607,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
National forests
Well considering it's illegal to live in National Forest land, I'd pick a National Forest with a large area that just had budget cutbacks and didn't have a lot of forest rangers. I'm sure you could find some huge national forests in SE Alaska or Idaho where you could get away with camping (or squatting)for some time...
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 06:42 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,613,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why only western states, but not Utah?

I'd say Missouri.

Utah does not really come to mind when thinking of alpine forested wilderness. Dry desert yes, beautiful desert, but not wilderness such as in the northern Rockies.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:46 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,120,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
In the United States, nothing remotely (pun insert) compares to Alaska.

Check out this video. 59 minutes of Alaska wilderness living...

The Frozen North - Dick Proenneke's Life in the Wilderness - YouTube

Old 04-18-2012, 07:27 PM

20 posts, read 50,062 times
Utah does not really come to mind when thinking of alpine forested wilderness. Dry desert yes, beautiful desert, but not wilderness such as in the northern Rockies.

Google username Nutnfancy on YouTube and watch some videos...

Old 04-18-2012, 09:27 PM

6,509 posts, read 7,454,824 times
The list of states where one can live in the wilderness is not complete. Add to it Maine, Michigan and Minnesota. All three of those states have substantial areas of wilderness. As one poster pointed out, no state in the lower 48 holds a candle to Alaska for amount of wilderness however.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:58 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,032,193 times
I picked Arizona, but I'd include other parts of the Southwest: NM, the mts. of W. Texas, some parts of Utah/Colorado.

Reason being these are places I know where you can move from alpine high country to warmer lowlands in short distances to avoid seasonal temperature extremes. In AZ/NM you can be near forest for wood, food, and water, and follow the water to lower elevations to avoid cold. Reverse to avoid heat.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:07 PM

6,565 posts, read 8,094,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Wondering why the colder states? Could one not live in the wilderness in West Virginia or western Oklahoma?
SE Oklahoma or Arkansas offer remote wild country as well as moderate climate when one could survive off the grid in the wild not alaska with its much colder climate. Both offer wooded dense vegetation to hide in as well....just watch out for the moonshiners. Bonnie and clyde hide out in SE ok while on the run

Old 04-19-2012, 09:10 PM

2,176 posts, read 970,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
Utah has got its fair share of forested wilderness. I also voted Arizona because its also got its also fairshare of forested wilderness. Unlike other states you have the option to escape the extreme heat or cold.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:15 PM

2,081 posts, read 2,897,764 times
Missouri/Arkansas (Ozarks) Several counties under 10 people per square mile, especially on the Missouri side.

Also the Rocky Mountains.

Maybe in the swamps of southern Louisiana as well.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:12 PM

7,129 posts, read 9,899,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
Are you referring to the popular general description of wilderness which is forests, mountains, wild beasts, remote, etc., or true official classified alpine, mountain roadless/wilderness areas? Either way in the lower 48 it is Idaho which has a nickname The Wilderness State.

Idaho, in the central area of the state, has the last intact forest ecosystem left in the lower 48 because that ecosystem is so mountainous and remote and roadless. This area also includes the largest unbroken alpine wilderness areas in the Lower 48 which begins north of Boise.

Living off of the grid in the wilderness in winter time would be a test. Watch out for the wolves
Tohobit raises a good point about North Central Idaho. Because there are no National Parks (like Yellowstone in Wyoming or Glacier in Montana) in this area, Central Idaho is not know by the general public. The area is mostly National Forest lands which tend to be less known by the crowds.

Of course, you really cannot mention wilderness in the USA without mentioning Alaska. I am not 100% sure but I think I read somewhere that Alaska has almost half (?) the Federal wilderness in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or