U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What US state is best for living in the wilderness?
Alaska 33 34.02%
California 3 3.09%
Idaho 6 6.19%
Montana 10 10.31%
Oregon 1 1.03%
Colorado 1 1.03%
Arizona 6 6.19%
New Mexico 2 2.06%
Washington 12 12.37%
Wyoming 3 3.09%
Another state 20 20.62%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:16 PM

14,747 posts, read 29,205,446 times

Advertisements

Montana, from what I've seen in pictures, has the most dramatic scenery, without being damp like WA or OR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,536 times
Which state of all that are listed has pine trees and mostly warm and dry weather year round that would be great to live in without being detected currently?

Also if anyone has any tips on hunting fishing etc please message me. Think of me as a sponge I want as much info as possible.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:45 PM

2,759 posts, read 4,450,608 times
Definitely not Alaska. This is probably the hardest state in the country to make it trying to "live off the land." Pretty scenery isn't going to keep you alive. If you want to provide for yourself and not be bothered much by other people, buy a small farm in western Kansas somewhere without too many neighbors.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,572 times
I think Missouri or if you're 17 years of age or older and if you like swamps,Louisiana.

Last edited by saiga12boy; 05-14-2013 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: punctuation and spelling errors

Old 05-14-2013, 09:56 PM

605 posts, read 738,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Definitely not Alaska. This is probably the hardest state in the country to make it trying to "live off the land." Pretty scenery isn't going to keep you alive. If you want to provide for yourself and not be bothered much by other people, buy a small farm in western Kansas somewhere without too many neighbors.
Absolutely disagree. You could live on Coastal Alaska in abundance, off the land in relatively mild weather. The interior is another story.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:30 AM

34 posts, read 49,813 times
1. Alaska
2. Arizona
3. Montana

Old 12-18-2015, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 670 times
I've been living in a national wilderness area for six years. It's not about state. It's about natural resources and remoteness. Forget about geopolitical boundaries. Look at the earth the way our ancestors did. There are currently 759 national wilderness areas. Most are located within national forests. Several web sites list them. Look for a wilderness area located deep in the heart of a large national forest. Both national forest and wilderness areas should be fairly rectangular in shape, not long and narrow. This affords you greater ability to avoid rangers and game wardens. You should select land that has as much flora and fauna diversity as possible. It should also contain year-round running river(s) and/or creek(s) that contain fish. There should be a combination of highlands and lowlands. Highlands for summer, lowlands for winter. Master bushcraft skills. Then master neolithic skills. Keep several remote summer and winter camps of simple three-sided lean-to shelters. Only build camps in thick evergreen tree areas or caves to avoid overhead detection. Use current USGS 7.5 minute maps to locate hiking trails and forestry roads. Stay as far away from them as possible. Only build small fires at night to cook, sterilize water and keep warm. Never build large fires or during daylight hours. All this talk of Alaska and states along the Canadian border sounds great until winter sets in. Then you'll spend the vast majority of your time trying not to freeze to death. Try to select a wilderness area no farther north than 40 degrees latitude but stay away from the Mexican border. This is only a small portion of what you need to know to live free. Good luck.

Last edited by solus4000; 12-18-2015 at 08:21 AM..

Old 12-18-2015, 08:42 AM

988 posts, read 515,746 times
I'm surprised at the Alaska answer, and yes, I've been there. The question was not, "Where is the most wilderness?" but "Which U.S. state is best for living in the wilderness?" I would not even consider trying to live in 95% of Alaska's wilderness, and the remaining 5%, along the coast and such, would be tough as well. Climate is a huge consideration.

Ditto for places like Montana and Idaho. Remote areas in those states are tough to get by in even with the support of a small town around you! That's why the population is low. And now everybody's going to run off and live in the wilderness there? Right.

I wimped out and picked "another state". I think that states in the southwest, like Arizona, have the pinon nut crop going for them. There is also some good fishing in some spots. I rafted the Green and Colorado rivers in Utah for 3 weeks a couple of decades ago, and the rivers were full of channel catfish. It was a very remote area, too. In some spots, like labyrinth and stillwater canyons, we saw nobody else for days, even on the river.

I might be tempted to make a go of it in Florida, maybe at or near the border of Everglades National Park or Big Cypress, or else just below the panhandle on the west coast, Suwanee River-ish. Being able to get to the water there would be key to getting food. You can also scavenge oranges like mad in some spots in Florida. I don't know if that would be cheating or not.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:45 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,169,783 times
South Dakota, specifically around Rapid City/the Black Hills. Absolutely spectacular, gorgeous views and scenery and civilization around Rapid City dies off pretty quick. But it's there if you need it.

South Dakota holds a very special place in my heart.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:49 AM

2,653 posts, read 1,987,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
SE Oklahoma or Arkansas offer remote wild country as well as moderate climate when one could survive off the grid in the wild not alaska with its much colder climate. Both offer wooded dense vegetation to hide in as well....just watch out for the moonshiners. Bonnie and clyde hide out in SE ok while on the run
John, I agree. Arkansas has a LOT of wilderness full of beautiful hardwood trees (something the western states don't have.) And there, you don't have to worry about wildfires like you do in the western wilderness areas. Milder climate, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or