U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 11:02 PM

6,648 posts, read 14,178,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
I would pick Knoxville over Columbia any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Two big reasons for me are the taxes - taxes are really low in TN with no income tax.

The biggest reason, though, is the climate. Columbia is oppressively hot in the summer. It has almost 2 months of temps in the high 90s with 90%+ humidity. It's like living in a pressure cooker all summer.
The internet is your friend - average summer humidity is higher in Knoxville than it is in Columbia. As far as the poster who claimed Knoxville is more progressive than Columbia; do you have any hard data to support that? I think if you look at voting trends and population diversity you will find Columbia to be more progressive. I enjoy visiting Knoxville so I have nothing disparaging to say about it, but if you're going to make comments stated as facts, please have data to back them up.

Average Relative Humidity(%)

Average Relative Humidity(%)
Morning (M), Afternoon (A)
DATA THROUGH 2002 YEARS JAN FEB MAR APR MAY JUN JUL AUG SEP OCT NOV DEC ANN
M A M A M A M A M A M A M A M A M A M A M A M A M A M A
COLUMBIA, SC 36 36 83 54 82 49 84 48 84 44 85 48 86 51 88 53 91 56 92 55 91 51 89 51 84 53 86 51
KNOXVILLE, TN 42 42 82 64 80 59 80 55 82 52 87 57 89 59 90 61 92 60 92 59 90 56 85 59 83 64 86 59

Sorry, the formatting didn't keep. In June the average humidity is 2% higher in the morning and 9% higher in the afternoon in Knoxville, In July, Knoxville is 3% and 8% higher and in August, Knoxville is 2% and 8% higher. I don't dispute that summers are hot in Columbia, but they can be pretty hot in Knoxville, too. Likewise, the winters are colder in Knoxville.

Last edited by waccamatt; 01-25-2012 at 11:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 07:39 AM

2 posts, read 3,553 times
I grew up in Columbia and currently live in Knoxville after living all over the southeast. I am honest in saying Columbia is an uncomfortable place to live because of racial tensions. This is not a place I want to raise my children even though we have family and friends in the area. As for a young single woman, there are few places for her to socialize outside of work and overall a lack of restaurants, shopping and cultural events. I feel the overall Cost of living to be the same but the taxes on income and property are higher in SC. Now taxes on retail items and alcohol are higher in Knoxville. Visit both and especially go to the everyday, local establishments.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:21 PM

11 posts, read 38,050 times
Hi. Thank you everyone who provided information as it was all a great help. My daughter decided to accept the job in Knoxville and I'm thrilled for her. She is already in a hotel in Knoxville and the moving company will be packing her next weekend. She found an apartment at Amberleigh Bluffs and has her name on a list for a rental loft downtown.
We took all the suggestions and spent a weekend in Knoxville and Columbia. After those trips the decision became easy. We stayed in the Marriott in Knoxville and had a beautiful view of the mountains, but the hotel rooms could use a remodel in my opinion. In Columbia we stayed at the Marriott also and those rooms desperately need a remodel in my opinion. In Knoxville we ate at Cafe 4 and we also went to Sapphire, but I felt like it was more of a bar. My daughter loved it, but I felt old and out of place. To be young again, right? Cafe 4 was excellent and I would suggest this to anyone visiting Knoxville. In Columbia, everyone at the hotel suggested The Blue Marlin. We did not enjoy this restaurant. The seafood I'm guessing is not flown in daily. Service in the restaurants in Knoxville and Columbia were generally good. My daughter really liked West Hills Mall in Knoxville and we spent some time shopping. The shopping in Knoxville felt better to us in comparison to Columbia. The decision was made easy thanks to the people we met. Everyone in Knoxville was lovely and friendly to a fault. We also felt a good deal of pride in Knoxville for the city and the university, but a welcoming spirit at the same time. Columbia felt cold to us. Some people were friendly, but many people we met were not. We heard more about all the nearby places like Charlotte and Charleston than we did about Columbia. I know people in Columbia are proud of their home too, but we heard more bitterness than pride.
Thank you again everyone, and I guess my daughter and I will need to learn how to say Go Vols with that sweet Tennessee twang.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:24 AM

28 posts, read 56,749 times
We have lived here a year and love it. I'm in a different stage of life (married with two kids ages 3 and 6 and another on the way), but having lived in Memphis, Nashville, and Knoxville, this is my favorite part of the state. I was surprised by how much of a melting pot it is, we are always meeting other transplants. We have found people to be welcoming. I love the crepes at The French Market downtown.

Congrats on her decision!

Lauren

Old 04-24-2012, 09:53 PM

171 posts, read 299,820 times
Knoxville without a doubt.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:57 AM

410 posts, read 700,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLmom2828 View Post
Hi. Thank you everyone who provided information as it was all a great help. My daughter decided to accept the job in Knoxville and I'm thrilled for her. She is already in a hotel in Knoxville and the moving company will be packing her next weekend. She found an apartment at Amberleigh Bluffs and has her name on a list for a rental loft downtown.
We took all the suggestions and spent a weekend in Knoxville and Columbia. After those trips the decision became easy. We stayed in the Marriott in Knoxville and had a beautiful view of the mountains, but the hotel rooms could use a remodel in my opinion. In Columbia we stayed at the Marriott also and those rooms desperately need a remodel in my opinion. In Knoxville we ate at Cafe 4 and we also went to Sapphire, but I felt like it was more of a bar. My daughter loved it, but I felt old and out of place. To be young again, right? Cafe 4 was excellent and I would suggest this to anyone visiting Knoxville. In Columbia, everyone at the hotel suggested The Blue Marlin. We did not enjoy this restaurant. The seafood I'm guessing is not flown in daily. Service in the restaurants in Knoxville and Columbia were generally good. My daughter really liked West Hills Mall in Knoxville and we spent some time shopping. The shopping in Knoxville felt better to us in comparison to Columbia. The decision was made easy thanks to the people we met. Everyone in Knoxville was lovely and friendly to a fault. We also felt a good deal of pride in Knoxville for the city and the university, but a welcoming spirit at the same time. Columbia felt cold to us. Some people were friendly, but many people we met were not. We heard more about all the nearby places like Charlotte and Charleston than we did about Columbia. I know people in Columbia are proud of their home too, but we heard more bitterness than pride.
Thank you again everyone, and I guess my daughter and I will need to learn how to say Go Vols with that sweet Tennessee twang.

I probably shouldn't bump this, but I just wanted to say that I'm glad your daughter chose Knoxville. And maybe if the topic comes up again, my story will help someone else make up their mind.

My husband and I lived in Columbia for close to 3 years and hated every minute of it. I got my "dream" job but it quickly turned sour after living in that city. If you didn't go to school there, have friends and experiences to otherwise back you up, it's a waste land. Someone said that a single person would have an easier time there...not so. You either went to school at USC or are involved in politics. There's no in between.

Crime is a major issue, IMO, and I lived in Atlanta at one time. Hubby and I bought in a transitional neighborhood...needless to say, we've moved on, but the house is still there, and we will most likely foreclose because we can't find a buyer. Biggest mistake of my life! The police turn a blind eye and really circumvent any attempts at revitilization in the areas that need it. Even the "nice" neighborhoods have crime. EVERYONE in the city has a security system, not that it makes any difference. We had two break-ins, one attempted break-in, and our A/C unit was taken apart for the copper. All in three years. It was a nightmare. If you were to pull our house up in the crime database for the county, there would probably be a giant red "X" on it.

In fact, I'm on the Knoxville board because hubby may want to go to law school in the near future, but we want to stay in a three hour range of our families in Upstate SC. USC has a law school but it is right out because we'd rather gnaw our own arms off than go back to that H*ll! And I mean H*ll because yes, it's hotter than that place. It's an oven...usually hotter and more humid than even Charleston.

So OP, your daughter made the right decision. Really.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:47 AM

2 posts, read 4,273 times
Default Advice from a TN Volunteer living in SC

Family lived in TN near Johnson city for 13 years. Went to Univ TN Medical School in Memphis. Married in Nashville, TN...etc. Now live in Columbia, SC.
Good and Bad of Knoxville and TN.

Goods: Lots of young people, cost of living relatively low, near smokey mountains for recreation, SEC football games (city almost shuts down, incredible), no Income tax (great if you rent), close to mountains.

Bads: lots of run down areas with what I call slums with lots of poverty, roads in state of absolute decay, city is grid-locked during home football games, be prepared to pay a very high price to live in the safer better areas, steep property tax (if you plan to buy), lots of the "good ole' boy club" guiding job promotions and opportunities (yes, even worse than Columbia SC), virtually no diversity, just as hot in summer, farther from beach.

Overall, if you compare cost of living and housing and overall taxes I think you will come out much better in SC.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:45 AM

22,554 posts, read 47,363,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastoast4 View Post
Family lived in TN near Johnson city for 13 years. Went to Univ TN Medical School in Memphis. Married in Nashville, TN...etc. Now live in Columbia, SC.
Good and Bad of Knoxville and TN.

Goods: Lots of young people, cost of living relatively low, near smokey mountains for recreation, SEC football games (city almost shuts down, incredible), no Income tax (great if you rent), close to mountains.

Bads: lots of run down areas with what I call slums with lots of poverty, roads in state of absolute decay, city is grid-locked during home football games, be prepared to pay a very high price to live in the safer better areas, steep property tax (if you plan to buy), lots of the "good ole' boy club" guiding job promotions and opportunities (yes, even worse than Columbia SC), virtually no diversity, just as hot in summer, farther from beach.

Overall, if you compare cost of living and housing and overall taxes I think you will come out much better in SC.
I call BS. The biggest red flag was the high property taxes. What a load. And if this guy is from Texas then there is no way that he would think property taxes are high in Tennessee. Pay a high price to live in the safer, better areas? Once again, what a crock! We have some of the lowest prices for homes in the country and are constantly on lists for affordable living. No diversity? Give me a break. Everyone lives, works and plays together around here. Jobs? Is he kidding? I have had very good jobs and I am in the best job I have ever had in my life! And I am old, female and very much a Yankee. Give me a break.

I'll add that the city is very doable on home gameday. Just stay away from UT and you are fine. If anything, it is easier to drive around on those days. Roads are in very good shape compared to a lot of other states. Hot? We are much, much cooler than Texas and Florida and all of the gulf coast states. Hotter than South Carolina. No way in heck. We are farther north and in a valley between two mountain ranges. South Carolina is far more humid with a brutal dew point. So that leads me to the one thing this guy is correct about. South Carolina is closer to ocean beaches.

I smell an agenda or extreme confusion.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,971 times
Grew up in Columbia and think that those that mentioned racial tension and crime must have either brought it with them or moved to the wrong area. There are lots of very friendly clean and safe areas aroumd Columbia. Of course, if you move to the "transitional" (nice word for rundown) part of any town you will have problems.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:32 PM

385 posts, read 941,757 times
I'm from SC and we affectionately call Columbia the "armpit" of South Carolina.

Having said that, I think there are some nice things there because of the college.

Still, Knoxville to me is a much nicer city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or