U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 09:07 PM

56,564 posts, read 80,847,919 times

Advertisements

Slow, but steady and smart growth is fine with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 01:02 AM

1,582 posts, read 4,288,128 times
18 million people within a 1 hr radius from where I live..no thanks to faster growth

However when I lived in smaller cities, I did wish there was more population/ growth spurts..perspectives can change very quickly

Old 01-07-2012, 01:07 AM

23,991 posts, read 32,804,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
American media is fascinated with boom towns with rapidly growing populations. In the 1990s places like Phoenix, Las Vegas, Atlanta, Charlotte, and Dallas were described as just wonderful because their populations were booming. The media really promoted cities that thousands of new residents were moving to every month.

Look at the cities on that list above today. The boom has turned into a bust and now they are full of empty homes, high unemployment and lots of social problems. While cities that never experienced a boom but just grew slowly are doing much better. (Places like Des Moines, Omaha, Pittsburgh and Minneapolis)

But maybe you see booming towns differently. Do you wish your hometown was growing faster?
God no...my hometown is Dallas and not only do I wish people would stop moving here, I wish people would move away. We don't have enough water or electrical capacity to sustain the population we already have.

Please stop moving to Texas, people!

Old 01-07-2012, 01:32 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,671,383 times
Do I wish my hometown [Waco] grew faster?? Yes. What I like about growth is the postives that come along with it. New developments, new people, new cultures, new infrastructure,etc

However, I live in Houston now and no I don't wish for faster growth. The growth here is controlled, but messy.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:58 AM

4,471 posts, read 7,287,827 times
My hometown is Savannah, Georgia. Yes, I do wish my hometown saw faster growth, but I want it to be SMART growth.
Most of the growth I've seen taking place there is suburban sprawl. While some of it is fine, I would rather places like Pooler, Rincon, Port Wentworth and Richmond Hill grow smarter. Main Street growth, not anytown-USA growth. Downtown Savannah has seen a fair amount of revitalization in the past 20 years. A lot of the newer buildings are hotels. I would much rather they be condos/permanent residents that will help strengthen the downtown economy and become less reliant on tourists and SCAD.
The key to good, smart growth is good leadership which is a result of educated people. We need to invest more on our education. This will, in theory, give us better leadership which can help influence higher paying jobs to relocate to town, etc, etc.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:08 AM

511 posts, read 2,084,439 times
A little growth is fine but people seem to want population growth without limits or environmental rules. No one seemed to complain when they cut down a 1000 acre old growth forest outsito make cooker cutter homes and strip malls. When I talked to people about it they seemed unconcerned and said it was progress. Progress to me would be to save half of the forest in common areas and build the rest of it in smart high dentisty development- up not out.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:59 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,966,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
18 million people within a 1 hr radius from where I live..no thanks to faster growth

However when I lived in smaller cities, I did wish there was more population/ growth spurts..perspectives can change very quickly
your area might very well be adding one more person within the next couple of years Hard to argue with the weather of SoCal

Old 01-07-2012, 09:03 AM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,173,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
God no...my hometown is Dallas and not only do I wish people would stop moving here, I wish people would move away. We don't have enough water or electrical capacity to sustain the population we already have.

Please stop moving to Texas, people!
Well, tell Texas to stop doing so well over the past decade and a half....

Old 01-07-2012, 07:50 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,135,719 times
I lived in the "more ideal" slower growth/moderate growth area of Minneapolis, and although I prefer that kind of growth over hyper booms/busts, I still wish it'd grow a bit faster......something like 13%-18%, or anything under 20% every decade. Over 20% is too fast, IMO.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:12 AM

511 posts, read 2,084,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I lived in the "more ideal" slower growth/moderate growth area of Minneapolis, and although I prefer that kind of growth over hyper booms/busts, I still wish it'd grow a bit faster......something like 13%-18%, or anything under 20% every decade. Over 20% is too fast, IMO.
How does fast growth something like 13%-18%, make the quality of life any better? Just because they replace forest and farm with more strip malls and cooker cutter subdivisions how does this help YOU and I?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.