U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 07:55 AM

12,009 posts, read 11,529,878 times
Check out Davidson, North Carolina.

It's a picturesque small college town (Davidson College) with easy access to Charlotte's amenities (shopping, healthcare and airport).

Davidson, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 08:15 AM

322 posts, read 507,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planningforthefuture View Post
Hi everyone, I hope that I can get some ideas on some nice small towns. My best friends and I are hoping that one day we can live near each other again. Currently the three of us live in different states due to family obligations, which we are happy to do, but would like to spend our golden years together. This move will not take place for a few years but we want to start getting some ideas so we can take our yearly vacation to these areas and check them out.

Here is what we are looking for but of course we know we can't get everything we want

Small town.

Nice downtown. It doesn't have to be big, just something with some shops, a restaurant (nothing fancy, a diner or coffeeshop) and a small grocery store to pick up some items between big shopping trips. I love to walk and to be able to walk to get a cup of coffee or pick up some groceries would be great.

My friends don't mind the cold but I like it warmer so we are compromising and am hoping for something with mild winters. We all grew up in the Northeast and would like less snow and cold.

We all love older homes and do not want our houses to look exactly like all our neighbors.

I do not want to live in one of those communities (gated or not). I want an old fashioned neighborhood (if that makes sense).

Does anyone know any towns that would come close to my description? Thanks for any help!
Check out DeLand, Florida. Only about 25,000 people living there. Still, it's a half hour from Daytona, an hour from Orlando and two hours from Jacksonville, so larger cities aren't that far a drive.

Neat, scenic downtown area with a lot of small shops and restaraunts.

Home of Stetson University so there's some decent culture and college sporting events.

The town itself features a lot of homes built in the early to mid 20th Century.

The climate is of course Floridian, and winters are mild, although you get an occasional cool spell in January and February where nighttime temps will dip below freezing.

Outdoor recreation is incredible near Deland. You are only a half hour from the Atlantic Ocean. You are also 15 minutes from the St. John's River and the Ocala National Forest. And right nearby are Blue Springs State Park (winter home of many a manatee) and Deleon Springs State Park (if you go, try the pancakes at the Old Spanish Sugar Mill on site...you won't be disappointed.)

Pictures of downtown DeLand:

Stetson Campus:

Blue Springs:

DeLeon Springs:

Ocala National Forest:

Last edited by PeteU; 01-17-2012 at 08:32 AM..

Old 01-17-2012, 02:28 PM

710 posts, read 714,110 times
Chapel Hill, NC?

Old 01-19-2012, 06:38 PM

5 posts, read 9,470 times
North Carolina and Tennessee have been on my radar for some time. I don't know if my friends would be able to handle Florida's summers. I think Missouri would be too cold for me.

This summer we are going to plan our vacation to NC. Can't wait to see these places.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:08 PM

69 posts, read 72,610 times
Palm Desert, California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.