U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 01:01 PM

5 posts, read 20,885 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I hope that I can get some ideas on some nice small towns. My best friends and I are hoping that one day we can live near each other again. Currently the three of us live in different states due to family obligations, which we are happy to do, but would like to spend our golden years together. This move will not take place for a few years but we want to start getting some ideas so we can take our yearly vacation to these areas and check them out.

Here is what we are looking for but of course we know we can't get everything we want

Small town.

Nice downtown. It doesn't have to be big, just something with some shops, a restaurant (nothing fancy, a diner or coffeeshop) and a small grocery store to pick up some items between big shopping trips. I love to walk and to be able to walk to get a cup of coffee or pick up some groceries would be great.

My friends don't mind the cold but I like it warmer so we are compromising and am hoping for something with mild winters. We all grew up in the Northeast and would like less snow and cold.

We all love older homes and do not want our houses to look exactly like all our neighbors.

I do not want to live in one of those communities (gated or not). I want an old fashioned neighborhood (if that makes sense).

Does anyone know any towns that would come close to my description? Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 01:12 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,133,508 times
Santa Barbara, California.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
Santa Barbara, California.
Thanks, but unfortunately Santa Barbara may be a bit pricey.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:55 PM

57,362 posts, read 81,765,760 times
How small are we talking about?

Old 01-07-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
How small are we talking about?
I'd say no more than 50,000 people.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:22 PM

57,362 posts, read 81,765,760 times
Perhaps Williamsburg VA, Elizabeth City NC, Georgetown SC, Brunswick GA, St. Augustine FL, Oxford MS and Cleveland TN, among others.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:28 PM

4,671 posts, read 6,157,376 times
Chico, Ca.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:54 PM

Thanks everyone, this is a great start. We will now start planning our summer vacation to check out some of these places!

Old 01-16-2012, 07:03 PM

2,086 posts, read 2,924,316 times
Cape Girardeau, MO

population is 38,000, good downtown by the river and mild winters.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:32 PM

11,940 posts, read 33,091,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planningforthefuture View Post
Hi everyone, I hope that I can get some ideas on some nice small towns. My best friends and I are hoping that one day we can live near each other again. Currently the three of us live in different states due to family obligations, which we are happy to do, but would like to spend our golden years together. This move will not take place for a few years but we want to start getting some ideas so we can take our yearly vacation to these areas and check them out.

Here is what we are looking for but of course we know we can't get everything we want

Small town.

Nice downtown. It doesn't have to be big, just something with some shops, a restaurant (nothing fancy, a diner or coffeeshop) and a small grocery store to pick up some items between big shopping trips. I love to walk and to be able to walk to get a cup of coffee or pick up some groceries would be great.

My friends don't mind the cold but I like it warmer so we are compromising and am hoping for something with mild winters. We all grew up in the Northeast and would like less snow and cold.

We all love older homes and do not want our houses to look exactly like all our neighbors.

I do not want to live in one of those communities (gated or not). I want an old fashioned neighborhood (if that makes sense).

Does anyone know any towns that would come close to my description? Thanks for any help!
Cookeville, Tennessee. Town of 30,000 surrounded by lakes, waterfalls, and gorges. One hour from Nashville. Downtown Cookeville is intensely walkable with a supermarket, museums, galleries, coffee shops, doughnut shops, restaurants, banks, outdoor festivals, two farmers markets, stores, performing arts center (indoor and outdoor), library, historic neighborhoods, townhouses, apartments, churches, and a large seniors center. Tennessee also has very low taxes, and the cost of living in Cookeville is among the lowest in the country.

Check out city-data's Cookeville page which has a bunch of photos to give you an idea what it's like:
http://www.city-data.com/album/album...Tennessee.html

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Last edited by JMT; Yesterday at 04:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or