U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 01:25 PM

5 posts, read 8,549 times

Advertisements

mdp: That's really helpful - I haven't really been thinking about the practical matters and negatives of beachfront living.

My husband and I are going to try to take a couple weeks off this spring and based on all these suggestions we're thinking of starting in Miami and driving up the eastern coast to NYC or Boston, stopping off in Charleston, Savannah, Norfolk/Virginia Beach, Washington D.C., and Philadelphia along the way.

I'm somewhat biased, having grown up in Northern California, but I've always thought of the food scene in San Francisco as being about appreciation of the food and of the whole dining experience, whereas in Los Angeles it's about being seen at the trendy places more than about the food. Also, as already mentioned, there's a lot of variety on the lower end - good food trucks, for example, or fast food - but not as much in the way of fine dining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 06:26 AM

12 posts, read 25,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
This is true, I grew up literally on the beach... so many bike chains rusted from the salt, along with other things.
You might also find that auto insurance rates are also higher.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:08 AM

413 posts, read 657,315 times
I'd consider Seattle. The culinary scene is under the radar, but it's really impressive. I lived in Sonoma County for ten years and I am continually amazed at how many great places there to eat here, and the rate at which more are springing up.

Here are the websites of two prominent local restauranteurs to give you a taste of what Seattle has to offer:

Tom Douglas - Home

Ethan Stowell Restaurants : Seattle

Also, Washington has no state income tax, which, in the OP's tax bracket, is a bigger deal than for most households.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:41 PM

2,239 posts, read 5,385,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
It'd be tough to actually get on the beach in Chicago on their income, though, and the weather would kill 'em....
With that kind of income they could get a magnificent condo just minutes from the beach in Chicago. We even put out some palm trees in the summer.

(Seriously, we do)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.