U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 10:09 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,292,829 times

Advertisements

The movie "Deliverance" probably did more to show exactly how rural people have their ways to zero in on someone who doesn't fit in or who offends everyone around them than anything else.

Deliverance's message is - the woods and rivers and hills are pretty but they can harbor menace just like an alley in a city.

Still, if you act cool and don't be a jerk and don't act like you're better than others, you can get along everywhere, more or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 06:26 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,072,967 times
There is not much "rural" left to fear. Rural America is dying off (if not dead already) and Ohio never was particularly rural to begin with, it's a small-to-medium towns state. If TS' fears were inspired by West Virginia themed Hollywood horror movies. Fear NOT. Property tax schemes, lack of jobs, destruction of small farming and trespassing laws virtually guarantee that all the real and imaginary rural "inbreds" and wannabe chainsaw mass murderers will end up on town' & city' skid rows. "Country" and "rural" is not for poor & mentally unstable, increasingly only "gentry" (who made $ elsewhere) can afford rural life. However, building McMansion on 30 acres doesn't make you "rural". There is little bit more to being rural than density of population. Rural America is trashed, dead or dying. But since most of you have no clue what "Rural" originally meant, the demise is not as apparent.

Last edited by RememberMee; 01-20-2012 at 06:36 PM..

Old 01-20-2012, 07:54 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,748,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
There is not much "rural" left to fear. Rural America is dying off (if not dead already) and Ohio never was particularly rural to begin with, it's a small-to-medium towns state. If TS' fears were inspired by West Virginia themed Hollywood horror movies. Fear NOT. Property tax schemes, lack of jobs, destruction of small farming and trespassing laws virtually guarantee that all the real and imaginary rural "inbreds" and wannabe chainsaw mass murderers will end up on town' & city' skid rows. "Country" and "rural" is not for poor & mentally unstable, increasingly only "gentry" (who made $ elsewhere) can afford rural life. However, building McMansion on 30 acres doesn't make you "rural". There is little bit more to being rural than density of population. Rural America is trashed, dead or dying. But since most of you have no clue what "Rural" originally meant, the demise is not as apparent.
Well, thanks for that. Because you know, rural can't possibly just change with the times as everything else does.

So tell me, what is the one true definition of rural oh wise one who is obviously so much more qualified to explain it than myself.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:18 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,072,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Well, thanks for that. Because you know, rural can't possibly just change with the times as everything else does.

So tell me, what is the one true definition of rural oh wise one who is obviously so much more qualified to explain it than myself.
Rural Appalachia. What automatically comes to your mind? I'll take the liberty of guessing - hills, trailers, pickup trucks, drugs, welfare, country music, mines, "poverty".... Note, ALL the things that supposedly came to your mind are NOT products of the fine folk who populate rural Appalachia. All the things you associate with rural Appalachia are made and distributed by big corporations and big government on the behalf of the fine folks of rural Appalachia, who supposedly suffer because of the lack of "development" and "investments" (coming from big corporations and goverment, naturally). In other words "rural" means passive consumption of the centrally distributed goods, services, ideas, culture, education, entertainment, and jobs. Rural means absolute dependence on the great outside for all its needs. There is not a shred of self-sufficiency remaining in rural areas, be it "material", food or cultural independence.

Let's scroll back to the original meaning of "hillbillies", "rednecks", etc. Originally it meant somewhat unpolished by civilization but overall self-containing and self-sufficient individuals (and their original cultures). Today the very same words mean something that is 180 degree opposite to the original meaning. Modern "redneck" is a poor, uneducated individual residing in rural areas who is totally dependent on the great outside for all his material and cultural needs. A rural poor no longer has an authentic culture to belong to, instead he's hooked on the centrally distributed mass culture of very dubious quality. Originally the word rural represented somewhat self-containing, self-entertaining, self-employing, self-replicating (culturally speaking)... authentic social organism. Today the word "Rural" means a generic, fairly uniform, dependent, non authentic (culturally), etc. individual residing in a sparsely populated area. That's the "change" we all can believe in.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:51 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,292,829 times
Quote:
Let's scroll back to the original meaning of "hillbillies", "rednecks", etc. Originally it meant somewhat unpolished by civilization but overall self-containing and self-sufficient individuals (and their original cultures). Today the very same words mean something that is 180 degree opposite to the original meaning.
I could not agree more. The notion of isolated rural people and some semblance of their dignity is absolutely gone.

"Rural" from, say, 1940 up through even 1965 or so meant someone who was culturally self sufficient and somewhat isolated from the vibe of the mass media and city life. I think shows like "Andy Griffith", believe it or not, summarized (in a very over the top and corny way) exactly how it was back then. Small towns in the first half of the 20th century operated somewhat autonomously from big cities. They had their own stores, local newspapers, even railroad and Greyhound depots.

I live near Lebanon. The older local residents who come from there grew up pretty much apart from Dayton and Cincinnati socially and are genuine "small town types". Maybe a bit narrow minded in ways, but having some dignity about being apart.

That kind of setting just, absolutely, simply does not exist. Every place in the US is a kind of media suburb of the greater whole. Lebanon, like every town anywhere in the continental US, is a friggin' suburb of someplace else. Besides media, big corporations forge homogenization. All local retailers MUST be driven out of business so that Walmart can steamroller every small town.

People have no choice. Adapt or die.

I think the always-on media has transformed - IE eradicated rural society. Today the people you run into in the deep country are as much smart*****es that should be smacked upside the head as jaded "city types".

Everyone's jaded in our society. You can't get away from anything any more.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Rural Appalachia. What automatically comes to your mind? I'll take the liberty of guessing - hills, trailers, pickup trucks, drugs, welfare, country music, mines, "poverty".... Note, ALL the things that supposedly came to your mind are NOT products of the fine folk who populate rural Appalachia. All the things you associate with rural Appalachia are made and distributed by big corporations and big government on the behalf of the fine folks of rural Appalachia, who supposedly suffer because of the lack of "development" and "investments" (coming from big corporations and goverment, naturally). In other words "rural" means passive consumption of the centrally distributed goods, services, ideas, culture, education, entertainment, and jobs. Rural means absolute dependence on the great outside for all its needs. There is not a shred of self-sufficiency remaining in rural areas, be it "material", food or cultural independence.

Let's scroll back to the original meaning of "hillbillies", "rednecks", etc. Originally it meant somewhat unpolished by civilization but overall self-containing and self-sufficient individuals (and their original cultures). Today the very same words mean something that is 180 degree opposite to the original meaning. Modern "redneck" is a poor, uneducated individual residing in rural areas who is totally dependent on the great outside for all his material and cultural needs. A rural poor no longer has an authentic culture to belong to, instead he's hooked on the centrally distributed mass culture of very dubious quality. Originally the word rural represented somewhat self-containing, self-entertaining, self-employing, self-replicating (culturally speaking)... authentic social organism. Today the word "Rural" means a generic, fairly uniform, dependent, non authentic (culturally), etc. individual residing in a sparsely populated area. That's the "change" we all can believe in.
Firstly I want to point out that I'm from rural Appalachia. So the things that came to my mind aren't entirely in line with what you assumed would.

And there are still many families who support themselves in several ways. Sure there's power, internet, vehicles, what have you, that all come from the outside, but there are families who still grow their own food for survival, dig their own wells, and might not even have an indoor toilet. My family didn't.

And outside of mainstream America you have the Amish and Mennonite. Both are largely self contained cultures. And there are a lot of them in northern Appalachia, and some throughout.

I get what you're saying, but it doesn't mean the modern rural isn't. It still just means things have changed. Rural still exists here, it's just different. That's to be expected, especially in an empire.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:41 PM

5,721 posts, read 4,634,110 times
The country can be a little creepy to be honest.... I've been in some creepy parts of WV, Ohio, and PA all 3. Trust me there are definitely some parts of OH that give outsiders wierd looks especially if you are dressed a certain way. In the city or more populated areas with hospitals, colleges, etc. you don't get as many wierd looks if people don't know you.

As some other people said country crime is usually more crazy CSI stuff like serial killers or the latest craigslist killer that lured people on to his farm. Most homicides in bigger cities like Pittsburgh are drug related so if you're not involved that stuff you generally don't have to worry about it.

Every time I'm on a country road I imagine getting out to change a flat tire and someone not finding my body for about 5 years.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:50 AM

18,678 posts, read 23,294,081 times
Quote:

I too want to point out that I am from, and live in Appalachia. I now live in a smaller former coal mining city. My son is going to college in OH, which is what brought me to this sub-forum, and I have liked what I have read so much that we are actually thinking about a second home, or even a permanent move there.

I agree that it is hard to find an authentic rural culture these days, in rural America, anywhere.

Still, if I drive 15 miles from my small city into the country, a subculture does exist, and the parts that have remained and not accepted introjects from the mass culture, are not,; at least to me, the most attractive.

Among them - racism and anti-Semetism
- gun culture
- distrust and even hostility of outsiders
- substance abuse
- family violence
- fundamentalist Christianity

The best parts of rural culture, seem to have all but vanished, supplanted by a bastardization of hip-hop culture, (but still racism exists) and a bland Walmart culture.

I love the country! It's beautiful and peaceful. But just as I could no longer live in a real suburb (as opposed to a small town, or an urban area), I would not be accepted in most rural areas.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:56 AM

33,937 posts, read 42,216,522 times
The reason rural people dislike urbanites is because when the said urbanites move to rural areas because they "want to get back to nature" they invariably demand things change. Those things include farming practices, hunting and fishing, stores, laws, streetlights on country roads, approved paint colors for houses, fence design, etc.

So we rural foks get pissed.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The reason rural people dislike urbanites is because when the said urbanites move to rural areas because they "want to get back to nature" they invariably demand things change. Those things include farming practices, hunting and fishing, stores, laws, streetlights on country roads, approved paint colors for houses, fence design, etc.

So we rural foks get pissed.
Amen to that.

If you move to the country or a small town, DO NOT try to change it to suit your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.