U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 10:42 AM

78 posts, read 99,668 times

Advertisements

Wow. this is one of the dumbest, stereotypical threads I have ever read. How is such discrimination allowed to exist on this forum?

Some of you people must be afraid to turn your lights off at night. Grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 10:52 AM

78 posts, read 99,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Among them - racism and anti-Semetism
Yeah, because no hate crime has ever happened in a city with more than 15,000 people. Everyone loves each other in the city.

Quote:
- gun culture
Because no one ever has a gun in the city, right? The high rate of murders that occur are by bows and arrows. Or by sling shots.

Quote:
-distrust and even hostility of outsiders
How awful. In the city you only have to deal with people killing each other because they're wearing the rival gang colors. That's much more tolerable.

Quote:
- substance abuse
No one does drugs in the city. There's no drug dealers or crack houses anywhere. In fact, there's not even bars because no one in the city does anything.

Quote:
- family violence
Yep, only limited to rural areas. Damn hicks.

Quote:
- fundamentalist Christianity
Oh my! run for your life!

Old 01-28-2012, 11:42 AM

18,642 posts, read 23,230,355 times
I live in the Appalachians of PA. This has been my experience, once I leave my small city and travel out to the country, past the suburbs.

There are meth labs, racists, child abuse that is culturally condoned, spousal abuse, and yes gun culture. I don't like guns. They are made to do one thing - kill.

Fundamentalist Christians? You can have 'em. I am a Protestant Christian who is happy in her own church. I can't stand people who try to convert others.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:51 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,732,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I live in the Appalachians of PA. This has been my experience, once I leave my small city and travel out to the country, past the suburbs.

There are meth labs, racists, child abuse that is culturally condoned, spousal abuse, and yes gun culture. I don't like guns. They are made to do one thing - kill.

Fundamentalist Christians? You can have 'em. I am a Protestant Christian who is happy in her own church. I can't stand people who try to convert others.
I myself am from the twin tiers region. And to be perfectly honest there was no more child abuse or spousal abuse than you'd find in the urban areas. Hell, take Binghamton, NY. Appalachian city, has more problems and drugs than the surrounding rural areas do.

Yes bad people exist out in the sticks, I've known them, I'm from there, but no more so than any city.

As far as guns, well that's a different issue. I am a gun lover, and I feel they defend rather than simply kill. If we didn't have guns people would still kill each other.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:20 PM

6,418 posts, read 10,859,723 times
No sweeping generalizations in this thread...

Old 01-29-2012, 12:29 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,427,095 times
I live in a very small town in Kansas. My husband is a rancher, but we don't live on the ranch. I can't imagine city people being afraid of country people! I don't think we are scary at all. We are down to earth, hard working, and common sense is actually still common. I'm terrified of the big cities, with the high crime and horrid traffic!

Old 01-29-2012, 12:37 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,616,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
The country can be a little creepy to be honest.... I've been in some creepy parts of WV, Ohio, and PA all 3. Trust me there are definitely some parts of OH that give outsiders wierd looks especially if you are dressed a certain way. In the city or more populated areas with hospitals, colleges, etc. you don't get as many wierd looks if people don't know you.

As some other people said country crime is usually more crazy CSI stuff like serial killers or the latest craigslist killer that lured people on to his farm. Most homicides in bigger cities like Pittsburgh are drug related so if you're not involved that stuff you generally don't have to worry about it.

Every time I'm on a country road I imagine getting out to change a flat tire and someone not finding my body for about 5 years.
I got a flat tire on a rural road and 14 kind, wonderful people stopped to help!

Old 01-29-2012, 12:41 PM

17,226 posts, read 19,531,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Hall View Post
I know many urbanites who fear "hillbillies" and other country people as violent and suspicious of outsiders. Fear of the "other" goes both ways. What do you think?
No. Rural areas and the people there are fine. It's good to visit for a change of pace.

But it would be boring to live there. Not much to do.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:45 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 16 days ago)

10,457 posts, read 14,307,686 times
Wow, I thought some people were being sarcastic, and then I realized they were serious!
Deliverance is only a movie, just like The Wanderers. Get a grip.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:47 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,752,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
I got a flat tire on a rural road and 14 kind, wonderful people stopped to help!
If I saw 14 people get out of a car, I would run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.