U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 10:32 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,763,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Yeah, but wouldn't that apply anywhere? He said it would bother him in the country, but I would think it would bother him in the city too, or at least it should...
Black kid, or white kid, on the side of the road anywhere with 14 people coming at him, should probably think about hightailing it.
Yes but in the city, depending on what road or highway I'm on, it wouldn't bother me because theres other people around that would see if anything happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 10:45 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,427,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Yes but in the country I would haul ass. Black kid on the side of the road and 14 people get out of a car, what do you think is gonna happen...
I doubt 14 people would get out of a single vehicle. More like 14 vehicles would stop to help.

I live in the middle of nowhere, my town has less than a thousand people. We have one couple and another man that is black African (from Africa) and we have several African Americans. We have numerous chicanos along with other spanish speaking people that I'm not sure what country they are from as well as several Filipinos. Don't assume we have no racial diversity just because we live in the middle of nowhere!

I never hear of any race against race crimes here. My nephew is half Black, so I think I'd hear if were much racism. There are always going to be people that don't like each other for whatever reason, but it doesn't seem to lead to violence. Exept for two guys that were fighting over one of them's wife. We're much more tolerant out here in the sticks than we are generally given credit for.

Now, if you try to move here and act all gangstah with your pants belted to your knees you can expect to be noticed by the genral population, but not harmed.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
I doubt 14 people would get out of a single vehicle. More like 14 vehicles would stop to help.

I live in the middle of nowhere, my town has less than a thousand people. We have one couple and another man that is black African (from Africa) and we have several African Americans. We have numerous chicanos along with other spanish speaking people that I'm not sure what country they are from as well as several Filipinos. Don't assume we have no racial diversity just because we live in the middle of nowhere!

I never hear of any race against race crimes here. My nephew is half Black, so I think I'd hear if were much racism. There are always going to be people that don't like each other for whatever reason, but it doesn't seem to lead to violence. Exept for two guys that were fighting over one of them's wife. We're much more tolerant out here in the sticks than we are generally given credit for.

Now, if you try to move here and act all gangstah with your pants belted to your knees you can expect to be noticed by the genral population, but not harmed.
Well not one car lol. That's good about the diversity there.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 20 days ago)

10,487 posts, read 14,320,905 times
Quote:
Yes but in the city, depending on what road or highway I'm on, it wouldn't bother me because theres other people around that would see if anything happened.
And in the city people are just as likely to continue to go about their business because they don't want to get involved, if you're lucky someone might call 911 if there's trouble.
Dying Good Samaritan Hugo Alfredo Tale-Yax Ignored: Symptom of City Living? - ABC News
Passers-By Ignore Brutally Beaten Homeless Man on Sidewalk | NBC4 Washington

Old 01-30-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
And in the city people are just as likely to continue to go about their business because they don't want to get involved, if you're lucky someone might call 911 if there's trouble.
Dying Good Samaritan Hugo Alfredo Tale-Yax Ignored: Symptom of City Living? - ABC News
Passers-By Ignore Brutally Beaten Homeless Man on Sidewalk | NBC4 Washington
I don't live in New York City and a bruised up homeless man is nothing new. A group of people beating someone on the side of I-610 is a different story.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:12 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,525,595 times
I do political canvassing and one fellow canvasser used to crack me up. Every time we went to canvass in the less populated areas, she'd tremble with fear and worry about "rural people".

Old 01-30-2012, 12:53 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 20 days ago)

10,487 posts, read 14,320,905 times
Quote:
I don't live in New York City and a bruised up homeless man is nothing new. A group of people beating someone on the side of I-610 is a different story.
My point was that it's kind of silly to feel safer just because there are more people around. Plenty of bad things happen in cities too, (lots of times with plenty of witnesses standing around not doing anything to help). It's not exclusive to country roads or small towns or something.
Although your statement that a bruised up homeless man is nothing new is a little troubling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
I do political canvassing and one fellow canvasser used to crack me up. Every time we went to canvass in the less populated areas, she'd tremble with fear and worry about "rural people".
Well, there is that scene in the movie "fried green tomatoes" that made you wonder what kind of meat was in the southern barbeque, mwahahaha.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
My point was that it's kind of silly to feel safer just because there are more people around. Plenty of bad things happen in cities too, (lots of times with plenty of witnesses standing around not doing anything to help). It's not exclusive to country roads or small towns or something.
Although your statement that a bruised up homeless man is nothing new is a little troubling...
It's natural to feel safer around more people, nothing new. When's the last time you looked at a dirty homeless mans face hard enough to see if he was bruised up? Is it a black eye or is it thick dirt?

Old 01-30-2012, 03:53 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,427,812 times
Quote:
It's natural to feel safer around more people, nothing new. When's the last time you looked at a dirty homeless mans face hard enough to see if he was bruised up? Is it a black eye or is it thick dirt?
heh. And I feel safer with less people. Guess that's why some live in cities and some live in the country! Generally I think you are more likely to be shot in a drive by shooting in the city than you are in the county. In the country if you are shot it's more likely to be a stray bullet from an unskilled hunter

Old 01-30-2012, 09:27 PM

15,505 posts, read 17,735,931 times
Where I grew up, a predominantly Black urban suburb of NYC, my peers thought I was crazy to go fishing, hiking, canoeing, etc. They thought for sure I was going to be killed by racist, White hillbillies. Ironically, most of these kids were only a generation or two removed from country folks who moved to the city in the 1950s and 60s.

It is simple fear and bigotry born of ignorance and it goes both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.