U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:43 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,820,455 times

Advertisements

The OP is RIGHT. I don't how many times I've heard a person seriously(and sometimes jokingly) say things like "I ain't stopping in X little town, they don't take to kindly to people like us, we might get lynched". I've even joked like that. Especially about a particular town in East Texas called Vidor. There IS an element of fear and suspicion, especially for minorities in certain(key word, because there are majority black rural towns in the South) small towns in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 09:50 PM

6,546 posts, read 7,502,087 times
I live in a very rural town in Michigan. Nothing but bean and corn fields around here, so I think I know something about rural America, well at least the rural midwest. The things im reading in here are laughable sterotypes about the country. The only thing to be afraid of in the country is the size of our mosquitos. People will be friendly if you are friendly, and if you have a breakdown they will stop and offer help. You are not likely to meet the kind of people you saw on the movie deliverence. Hollywood is a powerful tool wielded against those they wish to paint in a negative light. Rural America has been portrayed as a place full of toothless inbreds who creep around lookin for city folk to prey upon. They may even have in mind the kind of thing depicted in deliverence lol. That is the image Hollywierd has sold everyone, so thats the image everyone believes. Too many people watch too much TV and movies.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:53 PM

2,759 posts, read 4,371,566 times
I've been to some pretty sketchy rural areas, and some downright dangerous urban ones. I think city people who are afraid of the "country" generally, rather than wary of a few specific places, need to get over themselves. Rural America is not out to get you.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:30 PM

4,110 posts, read 4,762,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
I've been to some pretty sketchy rural areas, and some downright dangerous urban ones. I think city people who are afraid of the "country" generally, rather than wary of a few specific places, need to get over themselves. Rural America is not out to get you.
Unless you're from jersey.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:58 PM

14,157 posts, read 19,832,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
The OP is RIGHT. I don't how many times I've heard a person seriously(and sometimes jokingly) say things like "I ain't stopping in X little town, they don't take to kindly to people like us, we might get lynched". I've even joked like that. Especially about a particular town in East Texas called Vidor. There IS an element of fear and suspicion, especially for minorities in certain(key word, because there are majority black rural towns in the South) small towns in the South.
Every time I pass through Vidor I joke about it.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:47 AM

35 posts, read 59,727 times
Running out of gas in South Central Los Angeles at night time.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:37 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,625,485 times
Let me clarify! I was waiting for my friend's son to help change my tire and 14 different (yes, I counted people stopped to ask if I needed help. Country folk rock!

Old 02-02-2012, 12:52 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,557,417 times
Ignorant people fear the 'other.' In the city or country.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:49 PM

4,110 posts, read 4,762,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Ignorant people fear the 'other.' In the city or country.
No, I have good reason to fear the city.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:30 PM

20,881 posts, read 36,063,918 times
I grew up in the suburbs and just enjoy being in the country and knowing that I can be more directly involved with groups of people and activities at a smaller-scale local level. Then you have the connection to the land. This is a feeling that can be innate or you just know that you are somewhere that feels like home, and not disconnected from a certain culture and landscape. I feel most at home in the Appalachian chain of mountains stretching from north to south. The people's connection to the land in this region is strong with a sense of community that comes from deep ties to a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.