U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 08:12 PM

2,082 posts, read 2,902,341 times

Advertisements

I grew up on a dead end gravel road 12 miles away from the nearest incorporated town. (And they say rural isn't what it used to be) I will say this. In some parts of rural America you can find trouble, but 99% of the time you have to be looking for it. The only thing I ever worry about is accidentally finding a meth lab or a still (Which is a highly unlikely event even for a hunter such as myself). There are certain places in the rural area around my home that I wouldn't go to unless I absolutely had to but they are in the minority and not the majority.

People in rural areas aren't out to get city folks. I think this perception comes from the fact that generally rural people don't take kindly to newcomers telling them the classic "Well where I'm from we do it this way" lines. Does that mean they're going to hurt you? Probably not. But you will have ruined your chance to fit into the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 09:50 PM

34,695 posts, read 33,709,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Hall View Post
I know many urbanites who fear "hillbillies" and other country people as violent and suspicious of outsiders. Fear of the "other" goes both ways. What do you think?
This reminds me, "Scare an Urbanite" rehearsal is tomorrow at 2PM down by the Git It and Go market. Bring your trucks, your bible, an ear of corn and some Mountain Dew. Shout out scary things like "Mornin'" and "Yes, ma'am" and "God bless you." Scare those never-make-eye-contact city folks back to their concrete jungles. If that doesn't work, bring the weapon of choice, you know, the one that makes them Howard Dean scream and hop in their Volts to hightail it out of town: a banjo.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:40 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,741,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This reminds me, "Scare an Urbanite" rehearsal is tomorrow at 2PM down by the Git It and Go market. Bring your trucks, your bible, an ear of corn and some Mountain Dew. Shout out scary things like "Mornin'" and "Yes, ma'am" and "God bless you." Scare those never-make-eye-contact city folks back to their concrete jungles. If that doesn't work, bring the weapon of choice, you know, the one that makes them Howard Dean scream and hop in their Volts to hightail it out of town: a banjo.
And don't forget to have aunt Mable bake a pie!

Old 02-03-2012, 08:31 AM

56,160 posts, read 54,630,432 times
^^^hilarious.

I used to have a friend who spent the first thirty years of her life in a gritty part of Manhattan. Other friends invited her to spend a week with them at their house up in Maine. When she got home, she didn't say much about it, but the friend who invited them told me she was really annoyed. The city girl wouldn't go out for walks in the woods or to see any of the natural areas they wanted to take them to. She was terrified the entire time that ax murderers were hiding behind every tree and that people with shotguns were going to emerge from the woods and they would disappear forever. It was amazingly ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.