Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 11:27 AM

465 posts, read 473,937 times

Advertisements

I know many urbanites who fear "hillbillies" and other country people as violent and suspicious of outsiders. Fear of the "other" goes both ways. What do you think?

Last edited by Bo; 01-29-2012 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: Moved from Ohio forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 03:21 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
I agree! I live in a small northern PA city. I feel very safe here.We moved here from the "burbs, and we love small city life.
My son was looking for a college or university in a city, that has a good art program. Ohio has so many urban based colleges - so here I am.

I love the beauty and majesty of the country. I love to visit, spend the day at a lake, mountain or State Park. then I like to go home.

Country Crime is weird crime. You know, cult thrill killers, serial murderers, strange crimes against outsiders, and yes the ever present threat of inbred hillbillies, people who belong to churches where they handle snakes, and drink poison, and marrying your cousin is just normal.

That's why an our away from my Rust Belt city I get a little freaked out. So many gun racks, so few teeth..

Last edited by sheena12; 01-09-2012 at 03:21 AM.. Reason: spell

Old 01-09-2012, 06:23 AM

74 posts, read 189,020 times
What's the point of this OP? Just trying to start something? So ridiculous. How about getting out of your comfort zone and travel a bit. Get to know people instead of judging them. The country is not 'Deliverance'. Most non-city people are good people just as most non-country people are good people. Perhaps you should just do us (former city people, now country folk) a favor and stay in your city, like a caged rat.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:00 PM

285 posts, read 642,312 times
I think there is more fear of the city than the country in Ohio. It seems like people have been fleeing to the suburbs for decades due to a fear of urban crime.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:38 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
People have been fleeing cities for suburbs in OH and other places, since the end of WWII, and the housing initiatives offered to vets after WWII.

The OP asked a question about people who "fear the country"
It's a legitimate question. Some people do. Cities have their flaws but they tend to be more diverse and accepting of new comers. Small towns are more suspicious of new comers. It's just the way it is.

Crimes in cities tend to be crimes of opportunity, with money as the main motivation for the crime.

Rural crime can and often is, creepy. Think of Ed Gien, spree killers James Starkwaether and Carol Ann Fugate.

I am way more cautious in rural areas - anywhere and in any state. I have been looked at strangely in rural areas of my own state and, with out of state tags, in near by W.VA and rural upstate NY.

Generally in a city of any size there is an area that is safe and welcoming towards outsiders. If you stick to the area around the museum, shopping area, or whatever you came to visit, you will be safe and welcomed.

I have to admit, the country gives me the creeps.

But more people do seem to fear "the city" - any city.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:44 PM

465 posts, read 473,937 times
I've never been more afraid than when I was confronted by some good old boys in columbus, GA who wanted the sandwiches I was eating sitting on the levee along the Chatahoochee River. That's never happened to me in a city.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:34 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelent View Post
What's the point of this OP? Just trying to start something? So ridiculous. How about getting out of your comfort zone and travel a bit. Get to know people instead of judging them. The country is not 'Deliverance'. Most non-city people are good people just as most non-country people are good people. Perhaps you should just do us (former city people, now country folk) a favor and stay in your city, like a caged rat.
The OP has a penchant for sweeping generalizations and gross assumptions.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:58 PM

42 posts, read 63,974 times
Cleveland collector,, Ive beeen reading these post for years I just havent signed up untill recently.....I appluad you!!, you Know your stuff!!!!

Old 01-17-2012, 02:04 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,702,997 times
In a city an outsider can easily blend in, maybe via some style and small behavioral changes. Nobody has to know that you're not from around there. In a rural setting it's pretty much impossible to blend in anonymously. But my lifelong experience has been that generally (with some important exceptions), the level of free floating anger and frustration in most cities is much higher than in rural areas and smaller cities - life is just more stressful and taxing. So this means that while you are less likely to be singled out in a metro area, it is more likely that someone you will run into is at their breaking point. So (IMO) this is why the big city way is to mind your own business - it's risk management at work.

The opposite usually applies in a rural or small town/city setting - you are more likely to be singled out as not fitting in but generally nothing is going to happen from it.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:56 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
I wonder why this is in the Ohio forum specifically.

I come from hill country in upstate NY. Northern Appalachia, the southern tier, "upper Pennsyltucky".

I am a rural person, and I only ever lived in a city (Ithaca) once and for only two years.

I've been all over the Appalachians all the way down into Alabama. Generally country folk are the nicest people you can hope to meet. Helpful too.

But having been on the inside of a relatively hick family and tight knit rural community I admit there is a present attitude of hatred towards city folks. On that note however, it usually never amounts to anything worse than name calling and dirty looks.

You do have crooks and violent people. But they aren't any worse than their urban counter parts.

The only thing you gotta watch out for is do not make major friction with a rural family/community. DON'T. You can still disappear forever in a pig farm. Trust me, I'm related to the sort not to anger. But that would be mostly your own fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.