U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What large Southern US metro area would you want to live in?
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX 29 12.78%
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX 17 7.49%
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV 26 11.45%
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL 29 12.78%
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA 35 15.42%
Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL 4 1.76%
Baltimore-Towson, MD 7 3.08%
San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX 6 2.64%
Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL 2 0.88%
Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, NC-SC 14 6.17%
Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos, TX 15 6.61%
Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC 3 1.32%
Nashville-Davidson–Murfreesboro–Franklin, TN 14 6.17%
Jacksonville, FL 1 0.44%
Memphis, TN-MS-AR 1 0.44%
Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN 1 0.44%
Richmond, VA 4 1.76%
Oklahoma City, OK 1 0.44%
New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA 6 2.64%
Raleigh-Cary, NC 5 2.20%
Birmingham-Hoover, AL 7 3.08%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2014, 10:47 PM
 
2,331 posts, read 3,815,756 times
Reputation: 361

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis. View Post
lol not one South Carolina city on the list? Not even Charleston? No Savannah?

Lousiville is a southern city? Lol that is defintion of midwestern. Baltimore is a southern city? lol

I think Texas is more like the southwest than the southeast.
Umm, Baltimore is in Maryland and Maryland is a Souther State..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2014, 11:19 PM
 
467 posts, read 459,214 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Umm, Baltimore is in Maryland and Maryland is a Souther State..........
lol, i would classify DC and Montgomery county and Frederick and Hagerstown as southern but Baltimore seems more northeastern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2014, 08:42 PM
 
2,825 posts, read 3,288,913 times
Reputation: 1656
The DC area isn't that southern anymore. Maryland isn't southern and unfortunately, NOVA. However, the rest of Virginia is southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2014, 10:23 PM
 
11 posts, read 13,336 times
Reputation: 18
Baltimore-Towson, MD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2014, 02:00 PM
 
1,640 posts, read 2,060,002 times
Reputation: 2543
Why, on God's emerald green earth, would someone move to a part of the South (e.g., Tennessee or North Carolina) with cold winter weather, especially if you're from the North? That's a question I've struggled to answer for years.

There's a reason why Florida and Texas are, by far, the two most populous Southern states--because a vast majority of those states have warm winter weather relative to the rest of the South. I mean, even Dallas--which is pretty darn cold/icy in the winter relative to much of Texas--is still a whole lot warmer than, say, Little Rock or Fayetteville, AR, which are only up the road and around the corner.

City-Data posters seem to show significance deference to that notion that most Americans, especially those from the colder realms of the country, prefer warmer climates because most posters seem to prefer large, urban, walkable cities in colder climates (i.e., Boston, NYC, Chicago, DC, et al.).

However, the numbers say otherwise, as do most people you talk on the street in the Northeast and Midwest. Most folks in those regions who, FWIW, largely fueled the Sun Belt booms--first in California (1945-1970) and then later on in Florida/Texas/Arizona/Nevada (1970-2007)--don't want to move to places like Tennessee, North Carolina, or Arkansas because they'll still be cold in the winter and may have to deal with snow/ice. IMO and the opinions of countless other people, it really defeats the purpose of moving in the first place for weather-related reasons, especially if you were under the assumption you'd be getting "warmer weather." You might be getting a milder October, but the buck stops there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2014, 02:29 PM
 
30,002 posts, read 27,554,003 times
Reputation: 18583
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Why, on God's emerald green earth, would someone move to a part of the South (e.g., Tennessee or North Carolina) with cold winter weather, especially if you're from the North? That's a question I've struggled to answer for years.

There's a reason why Florida and Texas are, by far, the two most populous Southern states--because a vast majority of those states have warm winter weather relative to the rest of the South. I mean, even Dallas--which is pretty darn cold/icy in the winter relative to much of Texas--is still a whole lot warmer than, say, Little Rock or Fayetteville, AR, which are only up the road and around the corner.

City-Data posters seem to show significance deference to that notion that most Americans, especially those from the colder realms of the country, prefer warmer climates because most posters seem to prefer large, urban, walkable cities in colder climates (i.e., Boston, NYC, Chicago, DC, et al.).

However, the numbers say otherwise, as do most people you talk on the street in the Northeast and Midwest. Most folks in those regions who, FWIW, largely fueled the Sun Belt booms--first in California (1945-1970) and then later on in Florida/Texas/Arizona/Nevada (1970-2007)--don't want to move to places like Tennessee, North Carolina, or Arkansas because they'll still be cold in the winter and may have to deal with snow/ice. IMO and the opinions of countless other people, it really defeats the purpose of moving in the first place for weather-related reasons, especially if you were under the assumption you'd be getting "warmer weather." You might be getting a milder October, but the buck stops there.
I think only Northern retirees put the highest premium on warmer weather; for most other Northerners, the reasons for moving to the Sunbelt have largely revolved around jobs and cost of living. And even when it comes to winter weather in particular, the biggest advantage the South has is much less snow to deal with on average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2014, 03:48 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
1,404 posts, read 1,884,691 times
Reputation: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Why, on God's emerald green earth, would someone move to a part of the South (e.g., Tennessee or North Carolina) with cold winter weather, especially if you're from the North? That's a question I've struggled to answer for years.
The South's winters are no where near as harsh as the North's winters, so I fail to see the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2014, 04:20 AM
 
8,287 posts, read 11,861,097 times
Reputation: 4948
Florida isn't a "Southern" state! drive "North" if you want "true" Southerness!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2014, 06:34 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
1,540 posts, read 1,888,186 times
Reputation: 1574
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Florida isn't a "Southern" state! drive "North" if you want "true" Southerness!
The southern half of FL might as well belong to Cuba or Israel. The rest of FL is Southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2014, 10:02 AM
 
30,002 posts, read 27,554,003 times
Reputation: 18583
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Florida isn't a "Southern" state! drive "North" if you want "true" Southerness!
We're talking geography here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top