Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What large Southern US metro area would you want to live in?
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX 29 12.66%
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX 17 7.42%
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV 27 11.79%
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL 29 12.66%
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA 35 15.28%
Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL 4 1.75%
Baltimore-Towson, MD 7 3.06%
San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX 7 3.06%
Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL 2 0.87%
Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, NC-SC 14 6.11%
Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos, TX 15 6.55%
Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC 3 1.31%
Nashville-Davidson–Murfreesboro–Franklin, TN 14 6.11%
Jacksonville, FL 1 0.44%
Memphis, TN-MS-AR 1 0.44%
Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN 1 0.44%
Richmond, VA 4 1.75%
Oklahoma City, OK 1 0.44%
New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA 6 2.62%
Raleigh-Cary, NC 5 2.18%
Birmingham-Hoover, AL 7 3.06%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 03:20 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Very few Southern cities have good beach access, due in large part to the threat of hurricanes.

Quote:
The migration rate is an interesting statistic, and that's about it. The South is far less populated than the "North"
The South is the most populated region in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 03:25 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,217,839 times
Quote:
Coming from Orange County, eastern summers will be hellish, and southeastern summers that much more hellish (unless of course you're into things like having it stay hot all night).
The coastal plains are worse with excessive heat during the summer than the Piedmont and mountains. It's not unbearable..

Quote:
You'll probably have a bigger house, with less going on in your neighborhood (whether good stuff or bad stuff).
A suburban neighborhood is a suburban neighborhood. Neither has more "going on" in it, regardless of region.

Quote:
There will be more conformity in politics and religion (I know OC is known for conservatism but it's actually a mecca for independents; the South not so much).
There are fewer independents in the South than the West, but so too are there fewer independents in the midwest and northeast as opposed to the West. The West is known for its more libertarian-minded independent streak than other regions. Don't pigeon-hole the south as though the lack of independents is strictly a southern thing.

Quote:
Demographic differences, too: hard to significant Hispanic or especially Asian communities in the South.
You're coming from a west coast perspective. Only on the west coast are there high concentrations of Asians anywhere in the United States. Everywhere else, outside of perhaps New York City and parts of DC, there are very few Asians. Well, parts of the Atlanta area have a fair number, namely Gwinnett County. Again, stop making this as something wrong with the South, when it is no different than any other place outside of the west coast. There's nothing wrong with having few Asians either, unless you believe that some people are more superior to others.

As far as "hispanic" areas, the south is loaded with them in Texas and south Florida. The south has its fair concentration and is number two in percentage, only behind the west. Again, stop singling out the South. By the way, having more "hispanics" doesn't make the area better, unless you believe that some people are better than others.

Quote:
People will probably be friendlier and perhaps nosier; your take on that will depend on your personality.
I don't see the "nosier" argument. I think that it's more a stereotype than anything. Perhaps in a very small rural town, but even I doubt that.

Quote:
Very few Southern cities have good beach access, due in large part to the threat of hurricanes.
Very few southern cities have good beach access? Really? I suppose all the development and cities around Florida's peninsula and panhandle are a figment of the imagination, or that the gulf coast beaches of Gulf Shores, Gulfport/Biloxi, Galveston, Corpus Christi are not there? What about the Savannah and Brunswick areas of Georgia? What about Hilton Head Island, SC, the Charleston region, Myrtle Beach, Wilmington, NC, the Outer Banks, or Virginia Beach? I don't get your point. If anything, the south has as good, or better beach access than most regions.

Quote:
The migration rate is an interesting statistic, and that's about it. The South is far less populated than the "North", but yes it is gaining people, which makes sense as a matter of diffusion/evening out of densities.
The South is far less populated? Really? This is a more accurate map of urbanized areas

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-Areas.svg.png

As for overall population

http://www.newgeography.com/files/pop-by-region.png

It looks like the South has the largest population. It'd be wise not to promote non-truths.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:45 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
DC ain't Southern, sorry.
Never said it was. It's just in the poll so I answered it.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:48 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
While DC is not Southern IMHO; among those in the poll I would chose it.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:04 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post

It looks like the South has the largest population. It'd be wise not to promote non-truths.
While it is useful for most purposes to separate the Northeast from the Midwest, surely you see how misleading it is to say "the South has the largest population".

Old 01-08-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
While it is useful for most purposes to separate the Northeast from the Midwest, surely you see how misleading it is to say "the South has the largest population".

Would agree though one could argue there are distinctions in these areas but ~30% of the population in ~40% of the land area is more of a reality

Old 01-08-2012, 05:15 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,160 times
Quote:
The coastal plains are worse with excessive heat during the summer than the Piedmont and mountains. It's not unbearable..
Unbearable is subjective. My comparison with the west coast was objective.

Quote:
A suburban neighborhood is a suburban neighborhood. Neither has more "going on" in it, regardless of region.
West coast suburbs are considerably denser and more city-like, which is good because the west coast has very few truly urban areas.

Quote:
There are fewer independents in the South than the West, but so too are there fewer independents in the midwest and northeast as opposed to the West. The West is known for its more libertarian-minded independent streak than other regions. Don't pigeon-hole the south as though the lack of independents is strictly a southern thing.
Not my intent.

Quote:
You're coming from a west coast perspective. Only on the west coast are there high concentrations of Asians anywhere in the United States. Everywhere else, outside of perhaps New York City and parts of DC, there are very few Asians. Well, parts of the Atlanta area have a fair number, namely Gwinnett County. Again, stop making this as something wrong with the South,
I didn't.

Quote:
when it is no different than any other place outside of the west coast. There's nothing wrong with having few Asians either, unless you believe that some people are more superior to others.

As far as "hispanic" areas, the south is loaded with them in Texas and south Florida. The south has its fair concentration and is number two in percentage, only behind the west. Again, stop singling out the South. By the way, having more "hispanics" doesn't make the area better, unless you believe that some people are better than others.
I don't seriously believe you misunderstood me that badly.

Quote:
I don't see the "nosier" argument. I think that it's more a stereotype than anything. Perhaps in a very small rural town, but even I doubt that.
I went for the most realistic assessment possible, the good and the bad, but how dare I say anything bad? Thin thin skin, huh?

Quote:
Very few southern cities have good beach access? Really? I suppose all the development and cities around Florida's peninsula and panhandle are a figment of the imagination, or that the gulf coast beaches of Gulf Shores, Gulfport/Biloxi, Galveston, Corpus Christi are not there? What about the Savannah and Brunswick areas of Georgia? What about Hilton Head Island, SC, the Charleston region, Myrtle Beach, Wilmington, NC, the Outer Banks, or Virginia Beach? I don't get your point. If anything, the south has as good, or better beach access than most regions.
When did these become metros of significant size, the kinds of places that attract transplants? With the exception of Virginia Beach.

Quote:
The South is far less populated? Really? This is a more accurate map of urbanized areas

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-Areas.svg.png

I'm utterly amazed at how much disparagement was read into my painstakingly even-handed assessment. Sorry for not painting a 100% flattering portrait?

Old 01-08-2012, 05:27 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,217,839 times
Quote:
Unbearable is subjective. My comparison with the west coast was objective.
Your opinion was subjective, as that is what opinions are. Mine was subjective as well.

Quote:
West coast suburbs are considerably denser and more city-like, which is good because the west coast has very few truly urban areas.
You said "neighborhood", not suburb. Neighborhoods are fairly the same in terms of things to do. As far as suburbs go, it depends. I don't see many more things to do in the suburbs of the west as opposed to the suburbs of a southern city, such as Atlanta. If so, please point them out. Western suburbs are more densely compacted, but they're suburban-like.

Quote:
When did these become metros of significant size, the kinds of places that attract transplants? With the exception of Virginia Beach.
Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa/St. Pete, Greater Houston/Galveston. Not of significant size? Seriously? Most of Florida's Atlantic coast is developed, as is much of its gulf coast, though to a lesser extent.

In the northeast, you only have two metros of significant size on the coast, and that's Boston and New York City. Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington D.C. do not touch. In the South, you have Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa/St. Pete, Norfolk/Virginia Beach,Houston, as well as New Orleans (Mississippi beaches right around the corner). That's over double the number.

Quote:
I'm utterly amazed at how much disparagement was read into my painstakingly even-handed assessment. Sorry for not painting a 100% flattering portrait?
I'm utterly amazed at how you don't see the obvious truth, when it's right there in front of your face.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Your opinion was subjective, as that is what opinions are. Mine was subjective as well.

You said "neighborhood", not suburb. Neighborhoods are fairly the same in terms of things to do. As far as suburbs go, it depends. I don't see many more things to do in the suburbs of the west as opposed to the suburbs of a southern city, such as Atlanta. If so, please point them out. Western suburbs are more densely compacted, but they're suburban-like.

Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa/St. Pete, Greater Houston/Galveston. Not of significant size? Seriously? Most of Florida's Atlantic coast is developed, as is much of its gulf coast, though to a lesser extent.

In the northeast, you only have two metros of significant size on the coast, and that's Boston and New York City. Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington D.C. do not touch. In the South, you have Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa/St. Pete, Norfolk/Virginia Beach,Houston, as well as New Orleans (Mississippi beaches right around the corner). That's over double the number.

I'm utterly amazed at how you don't see the obvious truth, when it's right there in front of your face.

If you consider Houston and NOLA on the coast than you would also have to consider Phildelphia on the coast; it is just as close.

Also the Fla cities are on the coast agree but Jax and TB are not exactly large per se. Neither is Nola for that matter.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:03 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,096,533 times
First off, I don't consider D.C. or Baltimore to be part of the south...they're the Northeast.

Having just been to the south, I would say either Atlanta or Nashville. Beautiful landscapes, vibrant culture and economies...these two cities are the real deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.