Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What large Southern US metro area would you want to live in?
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX 29 12.66%
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX 17 7.42%
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV 27 11.79%
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL 29 12.66%
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA 35 15.28%
Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL 4 1.75%
Baltimore-Towson, MD 7 3.06%
San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX 7 3.06%
Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL 2 0.87%
Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, NC-SC 14 6.11%
Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos, TX 15 6.55%
Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC 3 1.31%
Nashville-Davidson–Murfreesboro–Franklin, TN 14 6.11%
Jacksonville, FL 1 0.44%
Memphis, TN-MS-AR 1 0.44%
Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN 1 0.44%
Richmond, VA 4 1.75%
Oklahoma City, OK 1 0.44%
New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA 6 2.62%
Raleigh-Cary, NC 5 2.18%
Birmingham-Hoover, AL 7 3.06%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 06:35 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
If you consider Houston and NOLA on the coast than you would also have to consider Phildelphia on the coast; it is just as close.

Also the Fla cities are on the coast agree but Jax and TB are not exactly large per se. Neither is Nola for that matter.
Philadelphia's built-up area isn't on the coast, nor is it in close proximity to open waters. You have to drive across the pine barrens to get to the coast, and that's going through a fair amount of rural area.

Tampa Bay metro has about 2.7 million people. That's a large metro. Jacksonville has about 1.4 million people. That's a metro of substantial size.

New Orleans is right beside the inlet to the Gulf of Mexico connecting it with Lake Pontchatrain, an inland sea in and of itself. New Olreans has about 1.1 million people, a metro of substantial population, in an of itself.

Houston's metropolitan area and its built-up urbanized area touches the coast in Galveston. You don't have contiguous built-up area to the coast of New Jersey from Philadelphia. However, you do have contiguous built-up area to the coast of Galveston from Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 06:43 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Philadelphia's built-up area isn't on the coast, nor is it in close proximity to open waters. You have to drive across the pine barrens to get to the coast, and that's going through a fair amount of rural area.

Tampa Bay metro has about 2.7 million people. That's a large metro. Jacksonville has about 1.4 million people. That's a metro of substantial size.

New Orleans is right beside the inlet to the Gulf of Mexico connecting it with Lake Pontchatrain, an inland sea in and of itself. New Olreans has about 1.1 million people, a metro of substantial population, in an of itself.

Houston's metropolitan area and its built-up urbanized area touches the coast in Galveston. You don't have contiguous built-up area to the coast of New Jersey from Philadelphia. However, you do have contiguous built-up area to the coast of Galveston from Houston.

They are the same distance. NOLA on the headwaters to the Gulf, what exactely is the Delaware Bay then? I swear to god you have two sets of rules for the South and other places. Yes the Pine Barrens are not developed, the 1.7 million acres, cant it is an international Biopreserve.. That is the dumbest explanation I have ever heard. DT Houston is the exact same distance as DT philly is from the Ocean. Houston is no more coastal than is Philly

And what are the are open waters that Philly isnt close to. Egg Harbor, The Delaware Bay, the Chesepeake Bay (the Metro touches all of these). Hell the Delaware River is ocean tidal in Philadelphia. I agree it is not directly on the coast but is no different than Houston or NOLA in that regard. If you believe otherwise you dont know the areas at all.

Question for you, does the Delaware Bay count as open waters? If so is 8 miles a large distance? One Mason and Dixon thought it to be an important piece of open water, the reason why the Mason Dixon line makes a hard right turn at the Delaware border, to preserve the Northern path to the open waters of the Ocean. If Houston and NOLA are coastal than so is Philly quite honestly, their realtionships with the ocean/gulf are basically identical.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:47 PM

121 posts, read 318,533 times
New Orleans - I've been dying to go back home.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:49 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
T That is the dumbest explanation I have ever heard. DT Houston is the exact same distance as DT philly is from the Ocean. Houston is no more coastal than is Philly
no, what is dumb is thinking that the downtown has to be on the coast for the city to be coastal.

you are always bragging about your tight city limits so why are you acting like both cities are similar in size now??/

Fact: Houston city limits touch the gulf of mexico.
Fact: the city of Philadelphia doesn't touch the coast at all.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:55 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
no, what is dumb is thinking that the downtown has to be on the coast for the city to be coastal.

you are always bragging about your tight city limits so why are you acting like both cities are similar in size now??/

make all the trite comments you like, reality is they are no different

Old 01-08-2012, 07:15 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
make all the trite comments you like, reality is they are no different
Big difference.

Houston residents live on the coast
Philly residents don't.

You can whip out your tape measure and measure the distance to city hall as much as you like, Fact remains one is on the coast the other is not.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:39 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times
This is assuming that I would have to live in one of those cities over others.

For me, it would be DC first, and then Baltimore. Those are the only two cities that I could actually see myself living in year round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

Not really.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:42 PM

504 posts, read 1,270,547 times
DFW. I only consider the Metroplex somewhat Southern, but I don't like the South much anyway. Metro DC would be my second choice.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:23 AM

1,017 posts, read 2,497,028 times
I picked Nashville since I have family that lives 2 hours from there.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:24 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
It's interesting to see some northerners say that they would prefer to live in DC or Baltimore. Those are northern cities by all means that have been misplaced within the south. Lol.

As for my choices. Well, I'm from the south so most of these cities are very livable to me. I have lived in south Florida, Tampa, atlanta, and I am now moving to dallas. I have enjoyed my experiences in each.

Also, someone said the south doesn't have many Asians. They should go to Buford highway in Atlanta, or bellaire boulevard in Houston. Miles and miles of Asian businesses in both.

Last edited by CravingMountains; 01-10-2012 at 12:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.