Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 06:53 PM

235 posts, read 755,721 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife are looking for a place that will be safe, and cheap enough for us to get back on our feet. We moved out to Denver for a Job, and with that job was the only way we could afford that apartment, now that my wife has lost hers, I'm soon to follow, and we cannot find anything out here that is in a safe area. Where in the US can you still get a $500 small studio, that is not in the middle of nowhere, and you can safety live there? All suggestions are welcome thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 07:48 PM

546 posts, read 1,176,583 times
Biggest Cities, Lowest Rents 2008 - BusinessWeek

I think there are few places that can offer that cheap of a rent, but Oaklahoma City is one. It is small city that offers affordable rent compared to most of America. This article is sorta old but I still think it'd apply today as not many people really think of it when they move. I don't know about Oaklahoma's crime rate through but I never heard its very bad or anything. You might be able to find rents under $500 there.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:04 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Academy Place at Verbeck 4719 Kehoe Lane Manlius NY - syracuse.com

Old 01-08-2012, 09:42 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,736,031 times
I'm planning to check out a studio in my town on Tuesday that's $525 per month, with all utilities paid except for electricity, plus it's right downtown in a new building. That being said, most of the studios around here are more like $600-750, more if they have a view of the bay.

Edit: I also looked at one last Sunday for $525 that looked like I built, out of scrap lumber and glue.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I'm planning to check out a studio in my town on Tuesday that's $525 per month, with all utilities paid except for electricity, plus it's right downtown in a new building. That being said, most of the studios around here are more like $600-750, more if they have a view of the bay.

Edit: I also looked at one last Sunday for $525 that looked like I built, out of scrap lumber and glue.
We were looking into parts Tacoma and some of Seattle seems like it might be possible, we were living in Portland for some time, but can't be there for another year. Bellingham used to be on our places to go, are the apartments pretty readily available. I hate the competition for places in Seattle, it seems the good deals get picked up fast. Thanks for the insight on Bellingham, I think it is back on our list of possible places, is there much of a music culture out there? The furthest NW we have gone is Seattle! Thanks for the replies all this information is very helpful!

Old 01-09-2012, 09:14 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
$500 for a studio in a safe area shouldn't be difficult at all to find in any of the larger southern cities. You may even be able to find a nice 1BR.

Apartments.com | Find Apartments for Rent, Houses, Condos and Townhomes | Rental Listings

Old 01-09-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
$500 for a studio in a safe area shouldn't be difficult at all to find in any of the larger southern cities. You may even be able to find a nice 1BR.

Apartments.com | Find Apartments for Rent, Houses, Condos and Townhomes | Rental Listings
Thanks for this reply, we have been tossing around the idea of a southern state, but are afraid we might me too "different" to not be harassed by the current culture there. When I was younger I lived for some time in a small town in North Carolina, and was harassed by pretty much everyone that heard my NY accent. People went as far as calling me a Yankee, telling me to go home ect.. I'm not sure if this still occurs in the magnitude I experienced, but if you knew of maybe a more progressive city in the south, maybe the same or similar attitude as a city like Portland, Oregon, or Seattle? We are very willing to give the south a try, especially seeing how cheap the rents are. I just would hate for my wife to experience the same south vs the world mentality I experienced. Any suggestions which cities/states might be the best direction? thank you again.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:53 AM

93,239 posts, read 123,842,121 times
There are other examples in Upstate NY and interestingly the community that the apartment I posted is in is one of the more upper middle class communities in the area. You can look here as well: Rochester NY apartments, Buffalo apartments, Syracuse apartments, Albany NY apartments listings from The Renters Guide

Old 01-09-2012, 10:13 AM

5,518 posts, read 8,765,046 times
I'd suggest Tallahassee. Fla, which is a pretty liberal minded place (thanks to the universities there) and also politically conscious (because its the state capital). Its not Key West, but its far more progressive than most of Florida. And its warm. And the rents are cheap. You can get a place easy for less than $500 a month.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:01 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,736,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuh View Post
We were looking into parts Tacoma and some of Seattle seems like it might be possible, we were living in Portland for some time, but can't be there for another year. Bellingham used to be on our places to go, are the apartments pretty readily available. I hate the competition for places in Seattle, it seems the good deals get picked up fast. Thanks for the insight on Bellingham, I think it is back on our list of possible places, is there much of a music culture out there? The furthest NW we have gone is Seattle! Thanks for the replies all this information is very helpful!
There are plenty of apartments here, but studios aren't exactly common and neither are single bedroom apartments. They're certainly out there, but it's mostly larger apartments. One reason I've had a little extra trouble is because I don't own a car and would prefer to keep it that way, so I've had to limit my search to apartments that are near grocery stores and other amenities. I'm not sure what the competition for apartments is like in Seattle, and I'm not exactly sure if the same could be said for here. I've seen several nice (but expensive) studios downtown that have been listed for a while now, but naturally cheaper ones seem to go pretty quickly. I arranged my current apartment before I moved here, and it was not trouble at all. But I originally moved here with my brother and we took a two bedroom, two bath apartment. He moved out shortly afterward, and now my lease is about to be up, so I'm looking for something cheaper and smaller.

I couldn't really comment on music culture because I don't really pay much attention to concerts or anything like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.