U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 04:02 PM

56,752 posts, read 81,082,761 times

Advertisements

Perhaps New Brunswick NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 04:53 PM

4,271 posts, read 6,360,706 times
Yes, parts of Philly come to mind, and for smaller NE options, there is Baltimore and Providence, RI. In all three, yes, you will have to pick your neighborhoods carefully or you will be living in a rough part of twon. But the thing with all three is that the nice parts of town have all you ask for and aren't insanely expensive like NYC, Boston or DC.

Other than that I would say a college town too, though you seem to want something bigger than that. But if you rethink it and change your mind, yes, Ithaca might do (although it does get its fair share of winter gloom). I also agree with Portland ME. Amherst is nice, but sounds a bit small for what you're seeking.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:03 AM

17,318 posts, read 19,591,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Politically liberal, educated populace
Local university, and other good educational options in state
Good public transportation (alternatives to a car/bus/bike)
Affordable housing outside of suburbia
Lots cultural amenities (museums, performances, libraries)
Family-friendly (good parks, schools, museums, etc...)
Safe, lower crime rate
Lots of independent shops and unique neighborhoods
Coffee shops, dog parks, bookstores, bakeries, wide variety restaurants
Religion is private (and Christian proselytizing is rare)
Any weather except cloudy 9 months out of the year

....and preferably on or near the East Coast?

This place probably doesn't exist in the U.S., but I appreciate any input. Thanks!
I recommend Philadelphia. It's the closest thing to what you're looking for. Also, 1.5 million people live in the city, 6.3 million in the CSA. It's very well located with respect to other large cities as well.

You should visit and see for yourself. Realize though that in all east coast cities the more desirable neighborhoods come with a higher price tag. You often get what you pay for.

BTW, I see from your other postings that you want to move to D.C. You're right that D.C. is pretty expensive. But check with that board to see if there are areas in the city that might fit your budget. Some of the suburbs in the D.C. area are fairly urban as well.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 01-11-2012 at 09:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.