U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 12:50 PM

18,638 posts, read 27,073,493 times

Advertisements

Folks, read the criteria.
Quote:
But what ive recently realised is that I should go somewhere where i can appreciate some country/folk/bluegrass music and country scenery (friday night lights tv series type of thing) .
Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, or New Orleans does not fit this description. The best city would probably be Nashville. Second would probably be Charlotte. If he doesn't mind a drive for a day, maybe Memphis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 06:56 PM

6,419 posts, read 10,869,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishNFLfan View Post
thanks for the reply!

i was thinking october/november next year. for either two weeks, or maybe come out for a month and travel around a bit.

that all sounds great, i'll definatly take in a titans and predators game, and was thinking of driving over to knoxville for a Vols game.

the music scene in nashville really is swinging it for me as well.

Also, i know suggesting kc was completly going against the whole thread haha but ive always really liked the chiefs and would love to try some Kansas city BBQ
October/November is definitely a good time. I would wait until the team schedules come out before making a final decision.

As a Vol grad, I would welcome you to come over and check out a game at Neyland...but to be honest, the team (as well as fan experience at the games) hasn't been all that great in the past few seasons. But perhaps things will turn around. Next year could be pretty decent...but we'll see.

The reason I mentioned Alabama is that they have been consistently good, and you're more likely to get a good home game experience there at this point in time. Plus, if you go to Memphis, you get to experience the Memphis music scene as well. Also, Memphis has great BBQ. For my money, it's better than KC, but with BBQ, that really comes down to personal preference. You can get good BBQ all over the South and Southwest (and KC)...even in Nashville and Birmingham. If you come to the South, that shouldn't be a worry at all.

2 weeks should give you ample time to see all you want to see. Are there any other considerations as far as what you want to see? Aside from experiencing the cities...any interest in going to the mountains or rural areas? If you're going to be here that long, I would also suggest taking a tour of the Jack Daniel's Distillery, about an hour and a half south of Nashville.

When the time comes, I'd love to assist you with coming up with an itinerary so you can maximize your experience here.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:41 AM

21 posts, read 22,894 times
thats great, thanks for the help.

Yeah id love to go to some rural areas, id love to see the country side and maybe camp out somewhere for a night or two.

thanks for the help, and i'll definatly message you when im planning my trip.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:05 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,071,874 times
There are a lot of great southern football sports atmospheres, but few compare with Oxford, MS (aka the Grove), where Ole Miss plays. The team isn't traditionally good, but the tailgating's pretty nice. It's an hour south of Memphis, which also has Sun Records (Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash) when it comes to rockabilly. I have no relationship to Ole Miss, never attended it, etc. But it's a ton of fun.

Otherwise, it sounds like you have your option narrowed down, so good luck and travel safe!

Old 01-23-2012, 01:50 PM

2,816 posts, read 5,389,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Here at latitude 47, Los Angeles is southern.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:03 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,230,797 times
Nashville definitely comes to mind. The Titans and Predators have a pretty large following.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:56 PM

69 posts, read 146,356 times
Atlanta.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:02 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,774,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJoeDavola View Post
Atlanta.
Hahahaha

Old 01-25-2012, 12:35 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,239,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

New Orleans will be losing their NBA team, probably to Seattle, in the near term.
Not gonna happen. Sorry.

To the OP: if you're into country and football, the obvious choice is Nashville.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:17 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,807,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Did you read his criteria?
Quit being being a Maryland Hater.......

Baltimore is Southern.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or