U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-11-2012, 02:14 PM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 22,966,872 times
Reputation: 6679

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Had no idea there were any Vietnamese in Arkansas, of all places (in appreciable numbers at least). I do know some went to Louisiana and Texas though.
I don't know that there were that many. Some came to Fort Smith, I think, and my family felt bad for how they were treated. The following Wikipedia article looks to have something that might be related.

Fort Chaffee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - "Fort Chaffee was a processing center for refugees from Southeast Asia."

Also here's something from a site called "The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture."

http://encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=5562 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2012, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Metro Atlanta, GA
449 posts, read 819,383 times
Reputation: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The rural South is less racist than most people in the Northeast, Midwest or West believe it to be, but racial idealists still would not be satisfied. (Not that they'll ever be, though.) I can't speak for the West, but there's actually more public pleasantry between races in the South than there is in the Northeast or Midwest. Be that as it may, social circles are still pretty segregated, but often by everybody's choice, not just white people.
As a native Southerner, having lived in the Midwest, and having spent extensive time in the Northeast, I have to agree with you on all points. Being that African Americans and Hispanics consist of a substantial percentage of the population in both the rural and urban South, there's more interaction among different races in the South than in other regions of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2012, 04:49 AM
 
99 posts, read 198,837 times
Reputation: 65
I don't think every single part of the world has the exact same number of racist people. That's just naive. Not that the south is necessarily more racist, but racism is more prevalent in some areas than in others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2012, 06:49 AM
 
3,458 posts, read 3,111,926 times
Reputation: 1532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've heard a lot of stereotypes, but what is the real situation with regards to attitudes towards other races in the rural South? Are most people pretty closed-minded towards other races/ethnicities?
it is a tough call to speak with such a broad brush, but i would say yes.

Quote:
Or are they tolerant/welcoming on the whole?
well that and your first statement aren't mutually exclusive.

generally they are closed minded in the sense that their views are often "rigid." However they are welcoming. I'm not sure what you mean by tolerant. I guess it depends on tolerance of what, exactly.

The overwhelming majority of people will be truly nice to you, if you are humble. If they don't like you, for whatever reason, they'll be fake nice. That's sort of how the whole game works.

It is easy to cross the line, and the consequences can be severe, especially if one guy insults another guy. That's true of whites or blacks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_honor
Once a culture of honour exists, it is difficult for its members to make the transition to a culture of law; this requires that people become willing to back down and refuse to immediately retaliate, and from the viewpoint of the culture of honour, this tends to appear to be an unwise act reflecting weakness.


Quote:
I know some areas are mostly black, while others are mostly white, how are black white relations?
when we group people together, like in politics, that creates a lot of conflict.

on a personal level, there is very little racial tension that i've ever experienced. i would say that most whites and blacks seem to go out of their way to avoid conflict with one another.

Quote:
How do whites and blacks view say Asians, Latinos, Middle Easterners?
I'm not sure about blacks -- among whites, the view is that Asians are sort of meek, and "good citizens", Latinos work hard, and middle easterners own convenience stores. Indians own motels.

However, rural areas in the south have plenty of Indian or east Asian medical doctors, so that creates positive stereotypes.

Quote:
If an Asian American moved into some small town in Tennessee or West Virginia would he/she be accepted? I suppose a white transplant might also be viewed with suspicion, but do these closed-minded attitudes still exist to a large degree?
well, West Virginia isn't the south -- and depending on where you move in Tennessee, you'll probably get a different reaction. Memphis and Knoxville are culturally quite different. I could be selling them short, but in my opinion you have a lot more cultural and racial xenophobia in the appalachians. In my experience, some of them don't even like people from "flat land," which I really get a kick out of.

I think that by far, the most difficult part would be an asian guy dating white girls. Women are funny, I can't explain this; maybe it is just my personal experience.

Asian women don't seem to have that same problem.

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 01-13-2012 at 07:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2012, 07:09 AM
 
3,458 posts, read 3,111,926 times
Reputation: 1532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
You probably won't find lynchings anymore in the south, but you may still encounter plenty of racists. But it's simply not the same as it once was (luckily). When I lived there, I encountered plenty of racist people, but I never knew anyone who would actively hurt another person simply because of race. I knew white people who hated black people, but they would still be relatively polite to them and would never hurt a man just because he was black. I also knew lots of white people who would make racist jokes, but certainly wouldn't claim they hate black people. And then there are the sweet old ladies who don't hate anyone, but unknowingly say offensive things. They would be mortified if you told them you thought they were racist, because they would never intentionally hurt another person, including the hurting of feelings. I don't have any patience with the first group, those who will proudly tell you they hate a certain race, but that group seems to have the smallest membership. The second group, the racist jokers, don't really mean any harm, they just view racist jokes the same as dirty jokes: not something you say around ladies, but funny, they think, when alone with the guys. While certainly offensive, they seem to be pretty harmless. The third group certainly means no harm at all, they simply don't realize it when they say racist things. I can't hardly hold that against them, because we may all be a little like that.

I should also add that while I lived there, I saw FAR more hatred toward people of middle eastern decent (whom were assumed to be Muslim) than black people. Black people were usually just the butt of jokes, but the hatred toward, specifically, Muslims was considerably worse.

Edit: I should also add that the people I encountered who hated specific races also hated everyone who wasn't exactly like them: white, straight, Protestant southerners. You could be a white southerner but if you were agnostic, you were inferior. You could be a white Protestant, but if you were from anywhere but the south, you were inferior. And so on.

hah, that's funny.

this, to me is the typical liberal, outsider perspective of the south. You make a joke about race, you're a racist. You acknowledge that there are other cultural groups, and that they are defined by their race, and are different from you -- then you're a racist. You make jokes about Muslims and terrorist attacks -- you're a racist.

To me racism is about hate... which is something I don't see very often. The way I see it, most of what you're talking about is just blowing off steam; there is cultural friction here, and that's how southerners (black and white) deal with it.

Which, by the way, brings me to another point -- there are a variety of ways to alienate yourself, and simply using the word "Racist" is probably the quickest way (at least among whites). That is right up there with bashing Jesus and beating women.

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 01-13-2012 at 07:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2012, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Bellingham, WA
9,745 posts, read 14,185,453 times
Reputation: 14796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
hah, that's funny.

this, to me is the typical liberal, outsider perspective of the south. You make a joke about race, you're a racist. You acknowledge that there are other cultural groups, and that they are defined by their race, and are different from you -- then you're a racist. You make jokes about Muslims and terrorist attacks -- you're a racist.

To me racism is about hate... which is something I don't see very often. The way I see it, most of what you're talking about is just blowing off steam; there is cultural friction here, and that's how southerners (black and white) deal with it.

Which, by the way, brings me to another point -- there are a variety of ways to alienate yourself, and simply using the word "Racist" is probably the quickest way (at least among whites). That is right up there with bashing Jesus and beating women.
I'm not an outsider; I lived in middle TN until August and had lived there for 32 years. Everything I mentioned corresponds with my 32 years of experience there. The people telling racist jokes may not hate that particular race, but they are mocking them based on their race, which I don't consider appropriate, but like I said, I also feel those people are relatively harmless and would never intentionally hurt someone due to race. I likened their jokes to dirty jokes, not necessarily hatred. If you'll notice, the only ones I said I have a real problem with are the ones who openly and proudly hate a particular race. The thing is, some people might fall into both of those groups. I knew people who would make jokes about black people, but didn't actually hate the entire race, but those same people actually did hate anyone who even looked like they might be from the Middle East. Toward Middle Easterners I witnessed far more hatred than for any other group, and sometimes by people who were otherwise pretty accepting of other races. I imagine this had something to do with 9/11, but I don't think that makes it acceptable.

But in general, many of the people I knew all my life in TN were full of a lot of hatred. People don't want to hear that, but I saw it literally every day. And it wasn't just racism, in fact I'd say that racism was just a small part of it. There was a continual hatred for anyone who was different from what they considered the norm, that being white, southern, conservative, and protestant, mostly. I'm sorry if people find that disagreeable, but I saw it every day and I'm not going to pretend I didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2012, 12:48 PM
 
Location: West Cobb County, GA (Atlanta metro)
9,188 posts, read 30,233,410 times
Reputation: 5131
Things are starting to get personal - if you want the thread to remain open - knock off the personal jabs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2012, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,680,544 times
Reputation: 7280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I'm not an outsider; I lived in middle TN until August and had lived there for 32 years. Everything I mentioned corresponds with my 32 years of experience there. The people telling racist jokes may not hate that particular race, but they are mocking them based on their race, which I don't consider appropriate, but like I said, I also feel those people are relatively harmless and would never intentionally hurt someone due to race. I likened their jokes to dirty jokes, not necessarily hatred. If you'll notice, the only ones I said I have a real problem with are the ones who openly and proudly hate a particular race. The thing is, some people might fall into both of those groups. I knew people who would make jokes about black people, but didn't actually hate the entire race, but those same people actually did hate anyone who even looked like they might be from the Middle East. Toward Middle Easterners I witnessed far more hatred than for any other group, and sometimes by people who were otherwise pretty accepting of other races. I imagine this had something to do with 9/11, but I don't think that makes it acceptable.

But in general, many of the people I knew all my life in TN were full of a lot of hatred. People don't want to hear that, but I saw it literally every day. And it wasn't just racism, in fact I'd say that racism was just a small part of it. There was a continual hatred for anyone who was different from what they considered the norm, that being white, southern, conservative, and protestant, mostly. I'm sorry if people find that disagreeable, but I saw it every day and I'm not going to pretend I didn't.
Why not talk about the Irish and the Italians up north??? They are some of the most racist people in this country. Whites in the south are no different than whites from other regions. Within a group of our own; I'm sure we all make race related jokes, but that doesn't equal racism. Difference as stated before is that racism and race relations is more open and out down here; whereas in other regions it's more covert. That's why you may here more racist remarks down here, but don't dare be fooled into beliving these things aren't happening elsewhere in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2012, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Bellingham, WA
9,745 posts, read 14,185,453 times
Reputation: 14796
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Why not talk about the Irish and the Italians up north??? They are some of the most racist people in this country. Whites in the south are no different than whites from other regions. Within a group of our own; I'm sure we all make race related jokes, but that doesn't equal racism. Difference as stated before is that racism and race relations is more open and out down here; whereas in other regions it's more covert. That's why you may here more racist remarks down here, but don't dare be fooled into beliving these things aren't happening elsewhere in this country.
Simply because I haven't lived up north. I was strictly speaking of my own experiences, which is all I can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2012, 05:56 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,384,878 times
Reputation: 11862
It seems that once a group becomes 'accepted', they themselves forget how they were the victims of racism and start being racist to the new groups. Once upon a time the Irish and Italians were the butt of racism. Now since they're the majority they dish it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top