U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 07:15 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,231,032 times

Advertisements

Quite honestly, the rural South is no worse in terms of racism and community acceptance of different races than urban California, which I live near now. Some of the worst race riots, in fact, have occurred in L.A. and Oakland. Been to San Francisco lately? Beneath the veneer of tolerance and peace lies a very segregated and classist city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 07:36 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Oh Lord, here we go again. Mods this subject has been beaten to DEATH...........And I will throw my two cents in, "Blacks are as racist as whites were in the 60's today".
Very true. I can see the bodies of four White people hanging from a tree in my backyard. I just burned a couple of crosses in some White neighborhoods and tomorrow I'm going out to throw rocks at White people on this freedom march to demand their right to vote.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:42 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,384,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I'd personally like to know how racist rural Australia is. I've heard stories of bad discrimination and treatment towards the Aborigine population.
It can be. Probably about the same as rural America.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:34 AM

17,250 posts, read 19,545,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
The KKK is also known to be active in this area as well to a small mostly non-visible extent. But is racial tension and violence normal there? No. People get along out here for the most part.
The KKK in Maryland? Wow, where is that and how many people are in it?

Old 01-20-2012, 09:44 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,224,097 times
I have lived in the Northwest (Seattle), the Southwest (Texas, Oklahoma), the North (Ohio, New Jersey) and the South (Tennessee and Georgia).

I did not notice an abundance of racism in any of those regions. But then again, I wasn't looking for it either. It's been my experience that if your not looking for something, your likely not gonna find it.. that's not always the case but its a good rule of thumb.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:23 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,283,791 times
I have lived in south Texas almost all of my life, and have traveled on business to most of the rest of the country over the last 20 years. I have lived in San Antonio, and Austin and I have worked in Houston and Dallas. I have family in much smaller, rural towns. I think I have as much experience with a wide variety of social, economic and racial groups in as wide a variety of settings as anyone else here.

I can honestly say that I have observed more overt racism in the northeast than anywhere else in the country. That said, it is present in some form or fashion everywhere to one degree or other. Another distinction I can make is that some racism is mean spirited and some is "benign cultural behavior". I cannot equate an old woman who is cuddling a baby calling it a "cute lil' *****ninny" as the same level of malintent as the old woman who spits on a passerby muttering "damned jigaboo". On the surface, both are stereotypical remarks that are distinctly based on race.

I have seen much more of the latter type of racism in NY and PA and more of the former in the south. I have seen more of the southern style of racism around the country among older folk, but the total amount of racial based behavior is higher in the northeast, and mainly in urban centers, than anywhere else I have been.

There is also a significant amount of animosity between groups that might be perceived as racist from an outside perspective that is really more economic or socially based and just happens to run along cultural divides. Hispanics tend to separate themselves from Blacks in my area of the country even more than Blacks and Whites do. I do not know the origin of this animosity, but it is strongest in the hispanic groups more recently from Mexico than it is in the hispanic groups that have been in the state several generations. Until very recently it was as common for the long term hispanic resident to resent the recent immigrants even more than the white people did. Now with the political expediency up front and center, it is less often admitted outside the "family" anymore.

I suspect many of the "racial" tensions are really more economic and social tensions exacerbated by racial divides.

From my own experience, my wife was raised in an exclusively hispanic area of town and was very uncomfortable in shops that dealt with upscale merchandise because she felt everyone thought she was "mexican" and would treat her badly. A few shopping trips ended poorly because she would find some action or comment directed toward her during the course of the shop visit that she found intolerable. After several years, she discovered that when she went looking for mistreatment it usually was delivered, but when she acted as if she was entitled to be there the clerks treated her with respect and all due attention. It was her behaviors that triggered the mistreatment by the clerks, not her skin tone. It took a number of years for that lesson to be learned, but now she is amazed that others cannot see that their attitude brings on the looks and snide remarks rather than their race.

I have always seen that people who act suspicious are watched closely and those that seem to own the place are treated like they are royalty. If a person believes they will be treated badly, they will be.

As F1000 indicated in his post, he was feeling out of place. He did not indicate that anyone treated him as if he did not belong. It was all in his mind, a matter of expectation that is not always fulfilled. Wouldn't it be better to live life as if there is no racism and force other people to take the first step to do evil rather then meet them halfway?

Old 01-20-2012, 12:38 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,710,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I have lived in south Texas almost all of my life, and have traveled on business to most of the rest of the country over the last 20 years. I have lived in San Antonio, and Austin and I have worked in Houston and Dallas. I have family in much smaller, rural towns. I think I have as much experience with a wide variety of social, economic and racial groups in as wide a variety of settings as anyone else here.

I can honestly say that I have observed more overt racism in the northeast than anywhere else in the country. That said, it is present in some form or fashion everywhere to one degree or other. Another distinction I can make is that some racism is mean spirited and some is "benign cultural behavior". I cannot equate an old woman who is cuddling a baby calling it a "cute lil' *****ninny" as the same level of malintent as the old woman who spits on a passerby muttering "damned jigaboo". On the surface, both are stereotypical remarks that are distinctly based on race.

I have seen much more of the latter type of racism in NY and PA and more of the former in the south. I have seen more of the southern style of racism around the country among older folk, but the total amount of racial based behavior is higher in the northeast, and mainly in urban centers, than anywhere else I have been.

There is also a significant amount of animosity between groups that might be perceived as racist from an outside perspective that is really more economic or socially based and just happens to run along cultural divides. Hispanics tend to separate themselves from Blacks in my area of the country even more than Blacks and Whites do. I do not know the origin of this animosity, but it is strongest in the hispanic groups more recently from Mexico than it is in the hispanic groups that have been in the state several generations. Until very recently it was as common for the long term hispanic resident to resent the recent immigrants even more than the white people did. Now with the political expediency up front and center, it is less often admitted outside the "family" anymore.

I suspect many of the "racial" tensions are really more economic and social tensions exacerbated by racial divides.

From my own experience, my wife was raised in an exclusively hispanic area of town and was very uncomfortable in shops that dealt with upscale merchandise because she felt everyone thought she was "mexican" and would treat her badly. A few shopping trips ended poorly because she would find some action or comment directed toward her during the course of the shop visit that she found intolerable. After several years, she discovered that when she went looking for mistreatment it usually was delivered, but when she acted as if she was entitled to be there the clerks treated her with respect and all due attention. It was her behaviors that triggered the mistreatment by the clerks, not her skin tone. It took a number of years for that lesson to be learned, but now she is amazed that others cannot see that their attitude brings on the looks and snide remarks rather than their race.

I have always seen that people who act suspicious are watched closely and those that seem to own the place are treated like they are royalty. If a person believes they will be treated badly, they will be.

As F1000 indicated in his post, he was feeling out of place. He did not indicate that anyone treated him as if he did not belong. It was all in his mind, a matter of expectation that is not always fulfilled. Wouldn't it be better to live life as if there is no racism and force other people to take the first step to do evil rather then meet them halfway?
>>>>>
I can honestly say that I have observed more overt racism in the northeast than anywhere else in the country.
<<<<<

This is my experience too. Having lived on both coasts, the Deep South (Florida Panhandle), and the Western-South/Southwest (Oklahoma/Texas) for many years I witnessed outright/overt racism more regularly in the Northeast (specifically New England).

Our Northern Brethren hate to admit it, but their region is not the bastion of tolerance that they try to portray.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:54 PM

145 posts, read 215,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
I can honestly say that I have observed more overt racism in the northeast than anywhere else in the country.
<<<<<

This is my experience too. Having lived on both coasts, the Deep South (Florida Panhandle), and the Western-South/Southwest (Oklahoma/Texas) for many years I witnessed outright/overt racism more regularly in the Northeast (specifically New England).

Our Northern Brethren hate to admit it, but their region is not the bastion of tolerance that they try to portray.
I agree, it is pretty segregated here especially in the cities, and I have witnessed a lot of racial tension from both blacks and whites, and even hispanics. I hear a lot of racial slurs being said.

I used to live in a primarily black town for 11 years, and my family and I weren't very well liked when we would go into a store, being the only whites there.

And the next town I moved to is 98% white, and seen a ton of racism. Kids in the high school put together "white shirt Wednesday" for white pride, and many race-based fights took place in that school. Plus the school would bus in black kids from Hartford for more diversity, and neither them or our townies got along very well. "White Pride" and "Black Pride", and other racist slogans were always written over the bathroom walls. The principal confronted the issue a few times but it never stopped.

The whole 'tolerance' thing people preach is not true at all.

A friend of mine was telling some Canadian friends about racism in the South, and I had to intervene and tell them where I'm from I've seen more racism and segregation of racial and ethnic communities than I have when I visited Southern states.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:11 PM

6,920 posts, read 12,381,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Quite honestly, the rural South is no worse in terms of racism and community acceptance of different races than urban California, which I live near now. Some of the worst race riots, in fact, have occurred in L.A. and Oakland. Been to San Francisco lately? Beneath the veneer of tolerance and peace lies a very segregated and classist city.

Which riots are you referring to? I'm assuming you're not talking about the 1970's when the Panthers were around.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:21 PM

23,298 posts, read 11,538,433 times
i have lived in the South my entire life. I cant honestly give my opinion compared to living anywhere else, but i can say race relations in themselves are not as bad as people make it out to be. I do think it is very segregated though, atleast where i live. Whites live on one side of the track, blacks on the other. We hang out in school, but not much outside of school other than playing basketball at one of the parks or at the city pool. there is no problem with going to one neighbor or the other either. the community organizations are split that way as well, although i think that has to do with the fact that the older members of the community are all part of the Black high school alumni association and the white ones are part of the current high schools alumni association. Kiwanis is very mixed, the entire community comes together for those events and things like that . ok im rambling now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or