U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 02:47 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,806,325 times

Advertisements

The south(Definitely not All parts but mostly rural and low populated areas) are racist/prejudice but more so against non-American Immigrants especially Mexicans-Central Americans.....

They seem to stereotype every non-American as an Illegal Immigrant............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 06:37 AM

767 posts, read 2,003,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
The south(Definitely not All parts but mostly rural and low populated areas) are racist/prejudice but more so against non-American Immigrants especially Mexicans-Central Americans.....

They seem to stereotype every non-American as an Illegal Immigrant............
Possibly this article explains why some feel the way they do.

Number of Illegal Immigrants Hits 12M

Old 01-25-2012, 12:41 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 25 days ago)

9,830 posts, read 21,140,229 times
I see way more bi racial couples in Kentucky than I do in the Northern cities I've been in (mainly Cincinnati and Philadelphia), even in small towns that are 95% White. I personally know dozens of people in Black / White relationships and it's really not that controversial among most people I know.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:11 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,121,705 times
I am not racist, however I must confess, that as a white person, I really would not feel comfortable moving to a town that was predominantly black. Nothing against blacks, but I would simply feel like a misfit. Here, in Connecticut, almost all of the blacks are concentrated in the cities (and only about 5 of the cities/towns at that). The other 164 towns are at least 97% white. It's crazy and unfortunate that it turned out that way, especially in a very liberal, diverse state.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:58 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,759,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanc LeBlanc View Post
There are white women with mulatto kids everywhere I look. I'm only too happy to raise these kids with my tax dollars since it seems most of these women are widows.
So you're suggesting that they are on government assistance because their husbands passed away?

Old 01-26-2012, 07:11 AM

767 posts, read 2,003,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am not racist, however I must confess, that as a white person, I really would not feel comfortable moving to a town that was predominantly black. Nothing against blacks,.
I believe you have all the requirements to be classified racist. And from Ct. no less.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:13 AM

2,816 posts, read 5,386,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
I believe you have all the requirements to be classified racist. And from Ct. no less.
Nah, I can see where he's coming from. People have a need for belonging. I'm sure the average black person would feel a bit strange having to live in a lillywhite town in North Dakota.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:32 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,759,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
No, I'm black and would not move to a town that's majority (75%+) white. I would feel extremely out of place.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:36 PM

1,230 posts, read 2,840,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've heard a lot of stereotypes, but what is the real situation with regards to attitudes towards other races in the rural South? Are most people pretty closed-minded towards other races/ethnicities? Or are they tolerant/welcoming on the whole? I know some areas are mostly black, while others are mostly white, how are black white relations? How do whites and blacks view say Asians, Latinos, Middle Easterners? If an Asian American moved into some small town in Tennessee or West Virginia would he/she be accepted? I suppose a white transplant might also be viewed with suspicion, but do these closed-minded attitudes still exist to a large degree?

This question seems pretty ridiculous. Just because someone is from the rural south DOES NOT make them racist. The people that are racist are ignorant (about as ignorant as this question by the way) and can be found all over the United States (not to mention the World).

Old 01-26-2012, 02:40 PM

105 posts, read 89,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've heard a lot of stereotypes, but what is the real situation with regards to attitudes towards other races in the rural South? Are most people pretty closed-minded towards other races/ethnicities? Or are they tolerant/welcoming on the whole? I know some areas are mostly black, while others are mostly white, how are black white relations? How do whites and blacks view say Asians, Latinos, Middle Easterners? If an Asian American moved into some small town in Tennessee or West Virginia would he/she be accepted? I suppose a white transplant might also be viewed with suspicion, but do these closed-minded attitudes still exist to a large degree?
It depends. There are racist everywhere, not just the south.

That being said of all the minorities asians get the most respect.

I'm not a racist, I'm a realist. If red haired white people were known to committ a lot of crimes or were rude etc, I wouldn't want to live next to them. Of course not all red heads are the same, but it this world you have to use common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or