U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 02:12 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,232,269 times

Advertisements

How they chose not to put San Francisco on that list is beyond me. Little Rock, Arkansas...somehow I doubt this city would be among the most gay-friendly...Atlanta is the only Southern city besides places in Florida, maybe, maybe, New Orleans as well, where I would expect gays to be among the most well-received in the country. I would imagine that cities like Boston, New York, Chicago, Minneapolis, San Francisco, maybe Denver, maybe Seattle, to be among the "gayest" cities. Possibly Los Angeles as well. As far as Salt Lake City goes...if it is the gayest city, I can't imagine it will be for much longer...Mormons are not exactly receptive of them generally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 02:27 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,231,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
LA in at 24?

This list is not credible.
It's per cap. If you look at raw numbers, LA is #1.

It's probably the most accurate 'list' that exists given it's from an actual census poll while the other lists are just essentially guesses. However even the census poll is from those who choose to reply as a couple in the census. Some cities may be more conducive to couples than others.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:46 PM

1,362 posts, read 3,195,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
How they chose not to put San Francisco on that list is beyond me. Little Rock, Arkansas...somehow I doubt this city would be among the most gay-friendly...Atlanta is the only Southern city besides places in Florida, maybe, maybe, New Orleans as well, where I would expect gays to be among the most well-received in the country. I would imagine that cities like Boston, New York, Chicago, Minneapolis, San Francisco, maybe Denver, maybe Seattle, to be among the "gayest" cities. Possibly Los Angeles as well. As far as Salt Lake City goes...if it is the gayest city, I can't imagine it will be for much longer...Mormons are not exactly receptive of them generally.
Historically, San Francisco was the pioneer for gay rights in America. Gay couples are undoubtedly very visible in SF. However, SF is not as gay as the media has portrayed it to be for decades. "Gay" in SF is more of a political affiliation that anything. This is the reason why the gay rainbow flag is almost synonymous with SF. BUT, many other cities are more all-around gay culturally speaking. As a matter of fact, DC was rated as the 8th gayest city in the country by the Advocate only last year:

http://www.metroweekly.com/news/last...e-8th-gay.html

DC is a huge magnet for gay men and lesbian women. DC definitely has the all-around upscale vibe that gay men stereotypically prefer. DC is currently the richest city in the country. Because of this the amenities in DC are absolutely top notch. DC is littered with Whole Foods supermarkets, inner circle high end establishments such as ritzy bars and restaurants with strict dress codes as well as expensive top tier boutique (i.e. Neiman Marcus, Gucci etc.) shopping in places like Georgetown, Bethesda, DuPont Circle (DC's gayborhood) and nearby Tyson's Corner in Northern Virginia. DC is very refined and the District has become a very fashionable city. Many people in DC dress like they walked out of the pages of the pricy Ralph Lauren Black Label catalog. In fact, DC is the most shopaholic city in the country.

America's Most Shopaholic City: Washington D.C.!

On the other hand, SF is very dirty and grungy. All of the stoners, hippies, homeless people, elderly Asian folks, faded black hoodie wearing thugs and Mexican gang bangers in SF aren't the best dressers. Also, in DC, even the ghetto crowd dresses very metrosexual. The only people who dress sloppy in DC are homeless people. In fact, many teenagers from the hood in DC shop (and shoplift) at the same clothing stores as gay men! This is unheard of in SF where the thug uniform is still an oversized 6XL t-shirt/hoodie/jersey and an enormous sagging baggy pair of jeans that are at least five sizes too big for the wearer. Look at all these DC teens shoplifting at a high end boutique in DC's gayborhood of Dupont circle wearing near spandex sleeveless t-shirts and skintight jeans. This would be looked at as dressing "gay" by inner city teens in other cities yet dressing like this is far from being gay in DC because the culture is much more non-purposefully gay friendly in the District.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 01-10-2012 at 03:00 PM..

Old 01-10-2012, 04:18 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,139,184 times
Any list that doesn't have SF is not valid. Also, take out the southern cities that aren't Atlanta and Austin.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:21 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,139,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post

On the other hand, SF is very dirty and grungy. All of the stoners, hippies, homeless people, elderly Asian folks, faded black hoodie wearing thugs and Mexican gang bangers in SF aren't the best dressers. Also, in DC, even the ghetto crowd dresses very metrosexual. The only people who dress sloppy in DC are homeless people. In fact, many teenagers from the hood in DC shop (and shoplift) at the same clothing stores as gay men! This is unheard of in SF where the thug uniform is still an oversized 6XL t-shirt/hoodie/jersey and an enormous sagging baggy pair of jeans that are at least five sizes too big for the wearer. Look at all these DC teens shoplifting at a high end boutique in DC's gayborhood of Dupont circle wearing near spandex sleeveless t-shirts and skintight jeans. This would be looked at as dressing "gay" by inner city teens in other cities yet dressing like this is far from being gay in DC because the culture is much more non-purposefully gay friendly in the District.

Your post sounded like you knew what you were talking about until you got to this point. That video has nothing to do with the "ghetto" crowd unless you are implying that the only people that shoplift are the "ghetto people". More likely than not those are just a couple of bored middle class kids shoplifting for kicks.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:00 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,982,118 times
I'm a little surprised on Knoxville, more surprised on Little Rock.

I wondered for a second if someone was humorously willing to go by the old use of "gay" as "carefree and lighthearted." I don't know what cities would be the "gayest" in that sense. Salt Lake City, Virginia Beach, Austin, the Twin cities, and Raleigh are listed as low-stress in one study. Low-stress might fit "carefree" anyway.

http://www.upack.com/press/article/r...ities-19938200

Forbes listed the following as low stress

1. Minneapolis-St. Paul
2. Milwaukee
3. Boston
4. Portland
5. Columbus, Ohio
6. Denver
7. Seattle and Cincinnati
9. Kansas City, Missouri
10. San Jose

America's Most Relaxed Cities - Forbes.com

So I guess all are agreeing the Twin Cities are fairly gay (noun) and maybe also fairly gay (adjective) too.

Although not really low-stress New Orleans is known for its festivals and gaiety. Possibly also for its other kinds of gayness.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:36 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,762,541 times
Orlando, likely.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:56 PM

191 posts, read 267,856 times
As a reminder, these are not the gayest cities ranked, since we dont have the necessary data to rank them. These are just the number of same-sex partner households. Some studies have shown that gay men are much less likely to be involved in committed relationships than are lesbians women. So to generalize the total gay populations based off these numbers would not be accurate if not controlled for gender. Also, Im sure political climate and other social factors affect how many people actually report this, so these factors could weight differently based on geographic factors. Many cities are known to be "singles" cities while others are considered "relationship" cities in the gay community. While Atlanta is comes in 5th for same-sex household proportion, I would not use that as a prediction for the ranking of gayness since so many men in Atlanta are single and serial daters while its lesbian population is known differently. When the census starts counting orientation, then we will have better data.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:31 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,231,501 times
^The original post wasn't based on same-sex partners, it's basically observational/subjective with no stats to back up, which the article admitted to.

The below is the same sex partner data from Census and is the only actual collected data I'm aware of. But yeah, it's just those who choose to partner up and report it to Census. Some cities may be more conducive to hooking up as partners and registering than others. The rest of the 'lists' through are basically just perception based.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:20 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,053,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Little Rock is not the most gay friendly but it does have a huge gay population. Little Rock actually has more gay clubs than straight clubs. I would say Little Rock actually has decent nightlife if you are gay. If you are straight...not so much. Gay friendliness is about straight acceptance of gay people, not how gay the city actually is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or