Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 05:42 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,643,742 times

Advertisements

About a year ago, I made this thread telling everybody that the Sunbelt boom will not end anytime soon.

The Sunbelt Boom is Not Going to End

Well, just recently, Joel Kotlin wrote an article on how things are picking back up in the Sunbelt. Job growth and construction are looking good for the next couple of years.

The Sun Belt's Migration Comeback | Newgeography.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 06:39 PM

43 posts, read 113,643 times
I completely agree with you. There's no reason for people to live in the North anymore. It doesn't exist anymore. There are just as many established cities in the South, with the same number of ready jobs.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:48 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,804,304 times
Trade has a lot to do with it.

With Mexico, South America and Asia taking over as out top trade partners instead of Europe things are shifting.

Ports along the Gulf Coast and in the west stole the thunder from the Northeast and parts of the Midwest.

Tax incentives, cheap labor and abundant low cost housing also play a major role.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:57 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,965,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
About a year ago, I made this thread telling everybody that the Sunbelt boom will not end anytime soon.

Well, just recently, Joel Kotlin wrote an article on how things are picking back up in the Sunbelt. Job growth and construction are looking good for the next couple of years.

I've noticed that quite a few of the articles on that site are pro-suburbs and sprawl. I don't take it too seriously. And most of the states and cities in the Sun Belt have high unemployment right now compared to the national average as well as to their Northern counterparts. Also, the recession clearly changed the way we are going to build in the future, as well as alter what we view as important.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:46 PM

27,321 posts, read 28,381,383 times
In spite of all this domestic migration from the north to the south that's been happening for years and years, how is it that the northeast remains the most densely populated region in the U.S. and every northeast state keeps gaining population year after year?

It boggles the mind.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:03 PM

771 posts, read 1,388,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcaribbean View Post
I completely agree with you. There's no reason for people to live in the North anymore. It doesn't exist anymore. There are just as many established cities in the South, with the same number of ready jobs.
There's no reason? Yeah places like NYC, Boston, Chicago, Philly and several other smaller cities don't contribute at all to the country's economy or anything like that.

If anything there is more reason for one to live in let's say a place like Chicago over Phoenix. When Phoenix runs out of water, it won't be that you have no reason to live there, it will be that you CAN'T live there. When gas prices continue to go up and up Phoenix won't be so nice anymore. Sunbelt cities have their place just as much as the cities in the north.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:17 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,291,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcaribbean View Post
?????

Anyway, the "North" continues to offer certain economic and quality of life advantages, though it's certainly not for everybody- no place is.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:27 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,726,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post

Kotlin; now there is an unbiased contributer

Lets build beltway number 18 in Houston; am sure he would pontificate on his (very one-sided) view for hours on it.

The Sunbelt will continue to grow but typically his love fest with this is a tad one-sided

Old 01-07-2012, 05:52 PM

14,173 posts, read 22,614,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Lets build beltway number 18 in Houston...
And have Pittsburghers pay their federal tax dollars to do it too, 'cuz, you know, it's not like I-376 is decades overdue for an upgrade to modern Interstate standards.

As for the "Sun Belt," it'll keep growing briskly simply because fertility rates are higher. Of course, Joel Kotkin will then proclaim that babies vote with their feet.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:37 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,830,215 times
The Sunbelt has the highest unemployment rate by region.....what is all this talk about job growth, and what kind of jobs? Look, I have nothing personal against the Sunbelt, but wait for a real revival before spitting this crap out on C-D and pretending that there is a new resurgence going on -- there absolutely isn't one! The "Sun Burnt" cities that concern me the most are still: Phoenix, Las Vegas, much of Florida, and even much of the Carolinas. I think Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and much of the other Sunbelt bigger cities will recover just fine (some haven't even really been hit yet), but I DON'T think they will be nearly as popular as they were in the 2000's.

Guess we'll just have to see....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.