U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:51 PM

22,154 posts, read 23,676,300 times

Advertisements

Quick digest of this thread makes it New York (upstate), Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Michigan and Washington (this one further down because the Seattle area and Portland are a much stronger draw for the state than Victoria and Vancouver). It really is the cities that mostly draw people, and it shows in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 12:41 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,973,253 times
There's a variation of Newtonian gravity that I read was once considered to relate to economic geography. Essentially that the "pull" of a place on another is like the population divided by the inverse-square of the distance. So cities would have more "pull", although they may have just meant in an economic sense. If so it might be more the GDP of a place divided by the inverse-square of the distance. So cities would have more pull just by being bigger.

Of course you could use that hypothesis to argue that Northwest Minnesota should be fairly linked to Canada as Winnipeg is as close or closer to some parts of it than the Twin Cities are to it. Also Northeast Dakota as Winnipeg could have more "Mass/Gravity" than Fargo. The small towns of Pembina and Walhalla in North Dakota do look to have a fair percent of Canadian-born.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:11 AM

99 posts, read 198,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post

overall Pacific NW is probably the least linked to Canada compared to the other border regions imo ..but then again, as another thread suggested the Pacific NW is kinda disconnected from the rest of the US too!

I'd say Oregon and Washington are connected strongly to BC, but not to the rest of Canada. I think quite a few people in Vancouver have relatives in Washington and Oregon, but it's probably not as common as those who have relatives out in Ontario. I have a friend from Albany, Oregon whose mom is from BC and thus is technically a Canadian citizen as well as an American citizen.

And you're right, no Tim Hortons in Washington or Oregon. Even in Vancouver, it's supposedly not as popular as it is in Ontario and eastern Canada. Though I think if they tried to introduce it to the Northwest, they would be very surprised at how successful it would be. Northwesterners LOVE coffee and donuts!

Old 01-12-2012, 08:53 AM

56,660 posts, read 80,952,685 times
Yes, the Canadian influence is pretty big in my area. I remember watching shows and sporting events on CKWS out of Kingston Ontario growing up and when I was stationed at Fort Drum NY, we got CKWS and a CTV station out of Ottawa. I attended college in Michigan for a few years and we got CBC 9 out of Windsor. This doesn't even get into the Canadian radio stations we can get up here, English and in French.

Then, you have this, which is common in other border states: Canadian shoppers, drawn by the variety and prices of products, flock to Syracuse to shop, dine, stay -- and fly | syracuse.com

It was nothing for US soldiers at Fort Drum to go to Kingston or Ottawa for nightlife and many had Canadian girlfriends.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:03 AM

5,555 posts, read 6,985,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Tim Hortons - Franchising U.S.

They do list several Michigan locations, but there's also some New York ones too and I guess there's even a "Tim Hortons" in Wheeling, West Virginia.

Tim Hortons Locations in Wheeling, West Virginia

Never been there myself.

There are also Tim Horton's locations in Dayton, Ohio and Dayton has no connection to Canada.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:50 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,155,070 times
Florida. Canadians move here in droves trying to escaping the cold.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:56 PM

4,806 posts, read 9,433,319 times
I will add North Dakota. It has very strong ties to the Canadian prairies....areas west of Winnipeg to Regina then to Calgary. Our University of North Dakota hockey team has a large number of Canadians and a large number go to the university and visit our cities.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:08 AM

15,523 posts, read 17,750,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
There are also Tim Horton's locations in Dayton, Ohio and Dayton has no connection to Canada.
Ontario is the next 'state' north of Ohio (along with Michigan).

Old 01-20-2012, 11:11 AM

108 posts, read 207,879 times
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Acadiana region of Louisiana.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:33 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,173,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTexas1 View Post
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Acadiana region of Louisiana.
The Arcadian people are from Canada originally (back in the 1750's) but they do not have strong ties to Canada today. Most probably have never been to Canada, nor have any desire to go to Canada. The other areas mentioned at least share a border and traffic from the US to Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or