Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 06:54 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,596,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
For starters Seattle is the largest American city literally a stones throw from Canada (2 hours from the border). I can't think of any other American city (of similar size and influence) that even comes close.
Well, you can see Windsor, Ontario from downtown Detroit... right across the river. Detroit's metro area is larger than that of Seattle. And you can see Fort Erie, Ontario from Buffalo.

And actually, there aren't that many crossings each year between Seattle and Vancouver. There are something like three times as many people crossing from San Diego to Tijuana and back than at the border crossings south of Vancouver into Washington. It's not that well connected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 06:57 PM

604 posts, read 1,512,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Other reasons why I think the Upper Midwest & Upstate NY & parts of New England have more in common with Canada than the Pacific NW:

1) harsher weather that parallels Canadian weather
2) related to cold weather, a common love for hockey (more than the Pacific NW)
3) I gather from other posters that Canadian tv channels/ radio can be viewed in Upper MW, Upstate NY but I dont think it can if I recall in the Pacific NW?
4) isnt there Tim Hortons (Canadian donut institution) in those parts, but not in the Pacific NW..that must mean something
5) dont they say "eh" in the Upper Midwest, and some areas have "Canadian raising" in speech whereas it is non-existent in the Pacific NW

overall Pacific NW is probably the least linked to Canada compared to the other border regions imo ..but then again, as another thread suggested the Pacific NW is kinda disconnected from the rest of the US too!
I am sorry but I just don't see the upper midwest of the U.S. that connected to Canada (except for maybe a few border towns).

Harsher weather? Most of the border between British Columbia and Washington state/Idaho is mountainous except for a small sliver along I-5, so I would have to disagree with you there. The North Cascades and Northern Rockies both extend into Central and Eastern Washington and pretty much continue up into Canada. The Cascades of Washington (which makes up a great deal of the border) has way harsher weather than anything in the New England states. Pretty much snows 10 months out of the year.

As far as news channels go. Pretty much all of the tv stations that are in Seattle are broadcast into British Columbia. Komo Radio Station (AM 1000) broadcasts as far north as Fort McMurray Alberta. Plus going on the other side of the border you can watch Canadian programs in Seattle.

I don't think I have ever seen a Tim Horton's in the Seattle area but plenty of Canadiains regularly make the trip to the Seattle area for shopping etc. Not to mention you can take the victoria clipper ferry direct from Seattle to the capital of B.C.

And contrary to popular belief Canadians out west don't all sound the same as Canadians back east. Just saying....

Old 01-24-2012, 07:13 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,807,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
4) isnt there Tim Hortons (Canadian donut institution) in those parts, but not in the Pacific NW..that must mean something
Well... I can't speak for Oregon and Idaho. But Washington state is in a peculiar position. Chains are likely to go north, California, Oregon... then it skips Washington and goes to Alaska. Washington actually doesn't have that many restaurants chains breaking ground compared to others on the West Coast. Hell, we don't even have Dunkin Donuts. But we do have our own kind of donuts... Top Pot, Voodoo (PDX).

Old 01-24-2012, 07:28 PM

9,103 posts, read 13,122,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
Agreed easily the Pacific Northwest and Alaska. For starters Seattle is the largest American city literally a stones throw from Canada. In fact seattle is at a higher lattitude than most of the eastern Canadian cities.
Well, you live in the beautiful Province of British Columbia, so it makes sense the State of Washington is more important to you. But what about Canada as a whole?

For instance, consider that the Windsor, Ontario to Quebec City corridor is home to more than 50% of Canada's population and contains 3 out of the 4 largest metropolitian areas in Canada. And much of that population lives on or close to the New York border. In addition, Ontario and Quebec are Canada's 2 largest provinces in population and both border New York State.

Ontario 13.2 million people
Quebec 8.0 million
New York 19.4 million

Total 40.6 million

compared to:

British Coumbia 4.5 million people
Washington St. 6.8 million

Total 11.3 million

Now if this thread about natural beauty, I would easily give it to the BC-Washington dream team, although the Northeast has it moments. But on this thread about strongest ties, you have to take things like population, tourism and economy into account.

Even sports. Do peeps know that the Buffalo Bills are playing some of their home games in Toronto now? Much of southern Ontario, including Toronto & the Golden Horseshoe is in the Bills TV market. And about 1/5 of all Bills fans that come to the Orchard Park games are from Ontario.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Well, you live in the beautiful Province of British Columbia, so it makes sense the State of Washington is more important to you. But what about Canada as a whole?

For instance, consider that the Windsor, Ontario to Quebec City corridor is home to more than 50% of Canada's population and contains 3 out of the 4 largest metropolitian areas in Canada. And much of that population lives on or close to the New York border. In addition, Ontario and Quebec are Canada's 2 largest provinces in population and both border New York State.

Ontario 13.2 million people
Quebec 8.0 million
New York 19.4 million

Total 40.6 million

compared to:

British Coumbia 4.5 million people
Washington St. 6.8 million

Total 11.3 million

Now if this thread about natural beauty, I would easily give it to the BC-Washington dream team, although the Northeast has it moments. But on this thread about strongest ties, you have to take things like population, tourism and economy into account.

Even sports. Do peeps know that the Buffalo Bills are playing some of their home games in Toronto now? Much of southern Ontario, including Toronto & the Golden Horseshoe is in the Bills TV market. And about 1/5 of all Bills fans that come to the Orchard Park games are from Ontario.
I agree with most of this. Outside of Washington state I think you could easily argue that upstate New York is pretty close to Canada.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:00 PM

372 posts, read 1,041,423 times
Grew up in NW Minnesota. I'd have no way of arguing which area has the most ties with Canada. I can say most of the people I knew growing up (myself included) had a grandparent, great-grandparent or two that immigrated from Manitoba or Ontario and still have family in Canada. My grandfather (and a lot of others) made a pretty lucrative living bootlegging from Canada to Minnesota during prohibition. Then many immigrated to the US's Red River Valley, bought farmland, farm machinery implements, or caught on with the railroad.

Population wise, this is a pretty insignificant area when compared to Detroit, Seattle, or Buffalo. Nonetheless, ties are pretty strong when considering family ties, accent (including some of the slang), Agri-business, sports - fishing -ice fishing - snowmobiling - hockey, and media (Grand Forks ND stations available in the Winnipeg market and vise-versa).

Old 01-25-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Well, you can see Windsor, Ontario from downtown Detroit... right across the river. Detroit's metro area is larger than that of Seattle. And you can see Fort Erie, Ontario from Buffalo.

Honestly though how many Canadians identify with Detroit? Not many I know of. Besides Detroit and most of Canada have very little in common. I understand that the crossing between Detroit and Windsor is busy, but simple visits alone doesn't necessarily equate to cultural ties.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:13 PM

9,333 posts, read 20,677,770 times
Brownsville Texas.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:07 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,715,206 times
Quote:
Honestly though how many Canadians identify with Detroit? Not many I know of.
So you know a lot of people who live in Windsor?

Quote:
Besides Detroit and most of Canada have very little in common. I understand that the crossing between Detroit and Windsor is busy, but simple visits alone doesn't necessarily equate to cultural ties.
The OP didn't specify "cultural" ties. It just asked about ties to Canada. Being that Detroit and Windsor share a border and it is less than a 5 minute drive from one to the other (depending of course the mood of the border patrol) I would be willing to bet that they share closer cultural ties than Seattle and it's 2 hour drive to Canada. Heck you even drive SOUTH from Detroit into Canada. Plus it again wasn't asking what city has closest ties to ALL of Canada, none of them would fit that. The economic, and cultural ties between Detroit and Windsor do exist whether you want to believe that or not.

If this was based strictly on Cultural ties, then either Madawaska, ME or Fort Fairfield, ME would be the hands down winners from what I have seen. The population in Madawaska is highly bilingual and most speak French just as well (if not better) than English, and have family on both sides of the border. Fort Fairfield has roads, houses, & the golf course that one side is in Canada and the other is in the US. Can't tie much closer than that.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:20 PM

26,771 posts, read 37,683,667 times
Quote:
Honestly though how many Canadians identify with Detroit? Not many I know of. Besides Detroit and most of Canada have very little in common. I understand that the crossing between Detroit and Windsor is busy, but simple visits alone doesn't necessarily equate to cultural ties.
Detroit may not have that many ties with Canada overall but there are certainly many ties between Windsor and southwestern Ontario and Metro Detroit. Windsorites consume Detroit media, cheer for Detroit sports teams, shop at Detroit-area malls and sometimes work and study in Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.