Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:10 AM

99 posts, read 254,342 times

Advertisements

I would personally say it's the Upper Midwest and Pacific Northwest. Though the far northern tier of New England certainly has ties to Quebec and the Maritimes as well.

The Upper Midwest, especially Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan, has a very similar accent to Canadian. There's also a lot of trade ... I think people in Toronto would probably feel less connection to NYS than say, people in northern Ontario feel to Minnesota and the U.P. but I could be totally wrong.

And British Columbia shares a lot of similarities and history with Washington and Oregon. The Pacific Northwest is seen as a bi-national region that is more similar than different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 12:05 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
MN has strong ties to Canada. We border the country and hockey is super strong in our heritage. Very similar accents

Old 01-10-2012, 12:10 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
And Glacier National Park in Montana is part of an "international park". Basically anything near the border in the northern US would have pretty strong ties given the good relationship between the countries, relative ease in crossing borders and rather similar cultures shared between the two.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:13 PM

27,548 posts, read 28,630,498 times
I think that would depend on which region of the U.S. and Canada is in question. Upper northeast states have stronger ties southern Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. The upper midwest states have stronger ties to Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta. The Pacific northwest has the strongest ties to British Columbia.

Note that the most populous region in Canada is between Toronto and Montreal.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:19 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
The Pacific Northwest and Alaska.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:30 PM

27,548 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Provinces of Canada and populations:

Ontario - 13.17 million

Quebec - 7.89 million

British Columbia - 4.51 million

Alberta - 3.72 million

Manitoba - 1.23 million

Saskatchewan - 1.04 million

Nova Scotia - 940,000

New Brunswick - 751,000

Newfoundland and Labrador - 511,000

Prince Edward Island - 142,000

Therefore, Ontario + Quebec = 60% of Canada's population

Old 01-10-2012, 12:34 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
NYS has a pretty good connection. They share a couple lakes, river, natural wonder of the world and 3 major canadian cities are within very easy access from NYS (Toronto, Ottawa & Montreal) and a vast network when it comes to hydroelectricity

Peace Bridge in Ontario and Lacolle in Quebec are both very busy & important border crossings

There are many areas that have strong ties to Canada and I'm not saying NYS is the strongest - but it's definitely there in the conversation

Old 01-10-2012, 12:39 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Michigan has very weak ties to Canada. Very few people in Michigan have ever been there, except once or twice to the border. There is no bank in Michigan that will exchange Canadian money. Canadian TV channels are not on Michigan cable systems, except right in the border towns of Detroit, Port Huron and Sault Ste. Marie. Very few Canadians who settle in the US stay in Michigan.

I would say the stronger ties are in Upstate New York, where the nearest big city is in Canada. People in Ogdensburg and Massena and Plattsburgh and Malone grew up watching Canadian TV, which was all they could get, and regularly went there for their big city needs.

There is no "relative ease in crossing the border" anymore. When I arrived in China, I got through customs and immigration faster and with less fuss than at Sault Ste. Marie. Americans simply never go to Canada anymore, nor vice versa, unless there is a compelling need or if it's going to be a trip of several days. I have a friend in Canada who used to drive to the US every time he needed to fill up with gas. He hasn't been across the border now in five years.

In terms of personal travel, the Germans and the French are more willing to casually visit each other's country, than the Americans and Canadians, and they can do so with far less indignity and trepidation inflicted upon them. Compared to the average border crossing in the world, the US and Canada are behaving like lifelong enemies.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-10-2012 at 12:57 PM..

Old 01-10-2012, 12:50 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
The Pacific Northwest doesn't have very close ties to Canada unless you're right near the border area. Seattle is close to Vancouver in some ways, but in much of the Pacific NW you'd be surprised at how many people have never explored anywhere in BC outside of just Vancouver and maybe Victoria for a weekend trip. There's kind of a regional NW identity that's slowly evolving in some ways, but in Oregon, you rarely ever hear about anything Canadian. I mean the Vancouver Canucks might as well be playing in Quebec--there's not much interest in following what's going on over the border--it's more so that having Vancouver BC so close by is seen as an interesting vacation trip close by...

Vermont and Upstate New York seem to have closest ties to Canada in many ways. My girlfriend has family near Lake George, New York and they're always travelling over the border--they watch Canadian TV stations and so on. Likewise my friends in Burlington, Vermont end up going to Montreal more often they they do Boston...

Last edited by Deezus; 01-10-2012 at 01:21 PM..

Old 01-10-2012, 12:53 PM

99 posts, read 254,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

There is no "relative ease in crossing the border" anymore. When I arrived in China, I got through customs and immigration faster and with less fuss than at Sault Ste. Marie. Americans simply never go to Canada anymore, nor vice versa, unless there is a compelling need or if it's going to be a trip of several days. I have a friend in Canada who used to drive to the US every time he needed to fill up with gas. He hasn't been across the border now in five years.

In terms of personal travel, the Germans and the French are more willing to casually visit each other's country, than the Americans and Canadians, and they can do so with far less indignity and trepidation. Compared to the average border crossing in the world, the US and Canada are behaving like virtual enemies.
I'm glad I'm not the only person who's made this observation. Don't you find it quite disturbing? We used to be such close countries; now, what was once practically an open border is becoming a sort of iron curtain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.