U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you a fan of new architecture?
Yes 12 36.36%
No 21 63.64%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 08:54 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,177,403 times

Advertisements

I like both, depending on the particular building. I do find that I tend to prefer older buildings, although I've seen plenty I thought were just hideous. I'm certainly not well-versed in architecture though, I simply have my own taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 01:14 AM

3,285 posts, read 5,430,440 times
Maybe I said it wrong, I do like some new architecture but most of it sucks in my opinion. It may just be the materials being used. It lacks craft in a major way and it looks very generic.

One modern piece of architecture that I appreciate is the Atkins Art Museum in Kansas City. That's a beauty and looks very clean, it can definitely withstand the test of time. I guess it's the way developers are building in "cities" that looks more like it should be in suburbs.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:03 AM

610 posts, read 957,394 times
How "new"?
I'm a fan of all types of architecture, because I try to appreciate it for what it is. It's a new style of building. I like modern, streamlined things. I do like the Comcast Building jm02 posted.
Not all modern, New American architecture is ugly to me.

Just a question based on others' posts:
When you say that buildings must be built to serve the people, do you mean that skyscrapers shouldn't have been built in the first place?

Last edited by JMT; 01-16-2012 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: Violation of rules for posting images.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:30 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife.glee View Post
How "new"?
I'm a fan of all types of architecture, because I try to appreciate it for what it is. It's a new style of building. I like modern, streamlined things. I do like the Comcast Building jm02 posted. I also like this academic building in Cooper Square in Manhattan:

Not all modern, New American architecture is ugly to me.

Just a question based on others' posts:
When you say that buildings must be built to serve the people, do you mean that skyscrapers shouldn't have been built in the first place?

Skyscrapers make most sense when built in denser areas and capitalize on the synegy of services (like transit or population or infrastructure). It seems like more and more they can be built with mixed use at the street level which makes them less isolated to those not working in them and better at interacting with the place. This is not always the case and many times skyscrapers are built more as a status symbol for a company and/or place.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:32 AM

1,817 posts, read 3,433,767 times
Default Boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Just one question; what happened to the "quality" look of American architecture?

The type of architecture that actually had craft in it, it seems like everywhere I go the new buildings look cheaply built. I'm a fan of progression in architecture but the buildings, home, etc being built now is crappy.

You dont see too much craft within these "McMansions", new office buildings, etc.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

I was in D.C. earlier this month and saw plenty of new construction going on but it all looked tacky to me. It's not just D.C. though, its everywhere. These new buildings aren't built to withstand the test of time, I can tell you that.
Baltimore could use some new construction anything. Some of the blocks are so monotonous with rowhomes more variety of would be great and more modern

Old 01-16-2012, 09:18 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,108,347 times
I kind of feel about modernist architecture the way I do about rap. It's not accurate to say I hate all of it - in fact there is a small, small percentage I enjoy, but it's pretty safe to say that most of the time it holds no appeal for me.

What can I say, but most architecture bores me after Art Nouveau bought the bullet.

There are exceptions, like this:

File:Chicago Library Downtown.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-16-2012, 09:22 AM

6,433 posts, read 9,950,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
You dont see too much craft within these "McMansions", new office buildings, etc.
I may not be a fan of new office building but I am a HUGE fan of the modern McMansion. I absolutely love them. Especially those stucco ones that you see in So. CaL. Maybe you don't but I personally don't want an old ugly home. I love the space and brightness of these new homes. And I love the suburban neighborhoods too.

The only thing I can say is that I wish they would come back with the 1930s art deco building style for cities. It was very classy and there hasn't been anything like it since.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:54 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,749,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I may not be a fan of new office building but I am a HUGE fan of the modern McMansion. I absolutely love them. Especially those stucco ones that you see in So. CaL. Maybe you don't but I personally don't want an old ugly home. I love the space and brightness of these new homes. And I love the suburban neighborhoods too.

The only thing I can say is that I wish they would come back with the 1930s art deco building style for cities. It was very classy and there hasn't been anything like it since.
What 1800s era home is ugly? All of these McMansions look alike with cheap materials and little character. You mean suburban subdivisions?

Old 01-16-2012, 10:31 AM

9,745 posts, read 14,177,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
I kind of feel about modernist architecture the way I do about rap. It's not accurate to say I hate all of it - in fact there is a small, small percentage I enjoy, but it's pretty safe to say that most of the time it holds no appeal for me.

What can I say, but most architecture bores me after Art Nouveau bought the bullet.

There are exceptions, like this:

File:Chicago Library Downtown.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm definitely an Art Nouveau fan, although some of the architecture I've seen is a bit too far over-the-top for my taste. With Art Deco, I tend to either love it or despise it.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:11 AM

30 posts, read 68,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post

You're not going to make a lot of friends here. Also in a hundred years or so I bet people will be praising and trying to protect the old McMansion homes. So it is all relavent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.